Amidst the injuries and various struggles....

I can't wait till our starting rotation is back and healthy! I know I mentioned this in a thread the other night, but when our starters have logged a quality start, we're 6-0. When they haven't, we're 5-13. I think quality starts would help take pressure off of our bullpen, as well as our hitters. On that note, anyone have any predictions as to our plans for Obermueller after today? Another decent start today, although not a quality start. Does he stay into the rotation until he falls apart, or do we send him back down now that Nolasco and Mitre are getting close?

Wasn't well publisized but Obbie's wife went into false labor on Saturday. He flew home to Iowa after the game Sunday because she was to be induced. They are having a boy. He expects to rejoin the team on Wed. FYI... Lee Gardner's wife is expected to deliver on Tuesday or Wed.

Anyway, my best guess is that Obbie goes to the pen and Field gets sent down for right now because Ricky is expected to pitch on Tuesday. Sadly, we really need another long relief pitcher out there. I have no idea what Fredi is going to do once Mitre comes back (sometime this week most likely) but if it were up to me I would be looking at a couple of these starters that can't seem to find the strike zone or get past the 5th inning. Anibal's name pops right into my head. JJ is still too far away to even consider anything about him right now. What will be interesting is seeing what happens if Julio continues with his progress. I think he gets another week or two to work on things and boost his confidence.

So Ricky is going against the NY Mets on Tuesday? I expect us to get severely spanked.

a little faith! Ricky is going to have a sick curve, you'll see.

It figures that the year we have probably the most explosive offense in team history that the starting pitching is struggling

Ya, it's been a problem the entire season. It's definitely too late to turn things around.

Ohhhh...maybe just the fact that hardly anyone on the boards has been talking about our lack of quality starting pitching, and how that has been the main reason why we had a mediocre April.

It seems like most threads debating the cause of our losing games has been centered around the closer, the injuries of De Aza and Hermida, the injuries of our pitchers....(being JJ, Nolasco, Mitre), mis-management by Fredi, baserunning mistakes, not catching balls at home plate, errant throws, etc.

So, forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse. But, I didn't see any other threads accrediting our losses to a lack of quality starting pitching. Did I miss them?

Ohhhh...maybe just the fact that hardly anyone on the boards has been talking about our lack of quality starting pitching, and how that has been the main reason why we had a mediocre April.

It seems like most threads debating the cause of our losing games has been centered around the closer, the injuries of De Aza and Hermida, the injuries of our pitchers....(being JJ, Nolasco, Mitre), mis-management by Fredi, baserunning mistakes, not catching balls at home plate, errant throws, etc.

So, forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse. But, I didn't see any other threads accrediting our losses to a lack of quality starting pitching. Did I miss them?

I agree with you in that the starting pitching has been terrible however those who blame the poor starting pitching on injuries are living in la la land. Our regular starters have made all but abotu 5 of our starts. Go down the league and you'll find that 5 starts from the non-regular starters is not out of the ordinary.

I agree with you in that the starting pitching has been terrible however those who blame the poor starting pitching on injuries are living in la la land. Our regular starters have made all but abotu 5 of our starts. Go down the league and you'll find that 5 starts from the non-regular starters is not out of the ordinary.

I didn't take it as gleason meaning it that way. But maybe I am misinterpreting his meaning and you have it right. I just took it as he wants to see what it's like with our 5 starters healthy. Right now (as of Monday) I think the number of "emergency" starts would be at 7 or 8. And then that would depend on who you consider the starters to be, and if we have 5 or 6 starters. The names we are playing with are Nolasco, Olsen, Mitre, DTrain, JJ, and Sanchez. Right now I think any start Ricky gets is an "emergency" start. Not because I don't think he can't handle it, but because Mitre won that 5th spot coming out of ST.

But that's all pretty irrelevant. I totally agree that when the starters have a hard time getting through the 5th inning it is a problem. Walks are killing us in every aspect of the game.

All this is true...but, even looking beyond all of the "emergency starts" that we've been having, we still have 3 out of our 5 pitchers in the starting rotation that are healthy, and have still been performing below average. I think Olsen has finally turned the corner, looking at his last two starts, but we still haven't seen anything real great from Anibal, and Willis is just pitching average.

For us to be successful this year,(and my definition of success is making it to the playoffs in some way, shape, or form) our starting pitching must improve. Yes, it will help when our starters are all back and healthy. However, we must get our healthy starters to pitch well. If our starting pitching returns to last year's form, it will help compensate for some of the smaller things that we're blaming for losses right now.

Other injuries in our lineup, Fredi's "rookie mistakes," defensive miscues, bullpen struggles, etc. won't be magnified nearly as much as they are now, if the starters return to form.

All this is true...but, even looking beyond all of the "emergency starts" that we've been having, we still have 3 out of our 5 pitchers in the starting rotation that are healthy, and have still been performing below average. I think Olsen has finally turned the corner, looking at his last two starts, but we still haven't seen anything real great from Anibal, and Willis is just pitching average.

For us to be successful this year,(and my definition of success is making it to the playoffs in some way, shape, or form) our starting pitching must improve. Yes, it will help when our starters are all back and healthy. However, we must get our healthy starters to pitch well. If our starting pitching returns to last year's form, it will help compensate for some of the smaller things that we're blaming for losses right now.

Other injuries in our lineup, Fredi's "rookie mistakes," defensive miscues, bullpen struggles, etc. won't be magnified nearly as much as they are now, if the starters return to form.

Exactly. THROW STRIKES!!! Some people will say pitchers win games or do well because of luck when they have low strike outs in an outing. I say they are letting their defense do the job they are supposed to do and showing trust in them. I could care in the least how many Ks a pitcher has as long as his walks are low. For the most part that means a low pitch count and going deeper into games.

But you have a much higher opinion of Scotty than I do. 2 good starts, granted. But let's see if he can keep that "cool" for at least a couple more before I go out and buy a #34 jersey. I'm usually very optimistic but there is just something about him. I love his stuff, just don't like the meltdowns when things don't go his way.