May 10, 200719 yr This is from Allan Simpson, the Mel Kiper of the baseball draft. At #12 we are going to get a stud, this draft is going to be awesome. I just hope we don't reach for anybody, but this article has me feeling better. http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/draft/2007/n...book_51007.aspx 12. FLORIDA . The Marlins favor high school talent and reportedly are looking at Aumont, Heyward and Texas prep righthander Blake Beavan. I'd be ecstatic with any of those 3. I also get the feeling that Matt Weiters, the top rated catcher and considered by some to be the best player in this draft, could fall to us. Two months ago if anybody said that, I'd think they were crazy, but the top 3 seems set right now in Price-Porcello-Vitters...and and I can only see 3 teams taking Weiters before us - The Pirates, Orioles or Washington. Could happen.
May 10, 200719 yr Interesting article but the MLB draft is impossible to handicap. Few sure things really pan out in baseball think Brian Taylor guys
May 10, 200719 yr If Wieters falls to us, I will shoot Beinfest in the face if he passes. We have no catching in our organization, beyond below-average guys like Torre Langley, Brett Hayes, and John Baker.
May 10, 200719 yr We have no catching in our organization, beyond below-average guys like Torre Langley, Brett Hayes Not saying Wieters isnt better than them, but its silly to call Torre Langley and Brett Hayes below average.
May 16, 200719 yr Author http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...7&fext=.jsp This should add some fuel to the fire. Jonathon Mayo just released his top 10 projected picks and Matt Wieters is not in them and no way Seattle takes a catcher at 11. I almost hope he is gone by 12 because if we pass on a guy who could conceivably be an upgrade at catcher over what we have now as soon as 2008 and be a middle of the lineup guy for a long,long time...I would be so pissed and hate this ownership group even more. Chances are looking pretty good right now that he falls to us.
May 17, 200719 yr Baseball America lists Wieters as their #4 prospect in the draft. I wonder why Mayo has him dropping? Signability maybe? I think he's a Boras client.
May 17, 200719 yr Baseball America lists Wieters as their #4 prospect in the draft. I wonder why Mayo has him dropping? Signability maybe? I think he's a Boras client. He is a Boras client, we won't take him. Guaranteed.
May 17, 200719 yr Baseball America lists Wieters as their #4 prospect in the draft. I wonder why Mayo has him dropping? Signability maybe? I think he's a Boras client. He is a Boras client, we won't take him. Guaranteed. we took Boras guys last year... Coghlan I think
May 17, 200719 yr The fact that he is hitting .376/.498/.639 with 10 HR, 17 2B, and 3 3B while also doing very well behind the plate leads me to believe that it is a signability issue.
May 17, 200719 yr Author The fact that he is hitting .376/.498/.639 with 10 HR, 17 2B, and 3 3B while also doing very well behind the plate leads me to believe that it is a signability issue. Considering how low the payroll is combined with the fact that we don't have a lot of picks this year and don't pick again until #71 AND starting this year if you don't sign your 1st round pick you get an additional 1st round pick in the following year's draft in the same position means you take Wieters at 12. It's not like Wieters is some project HS guy, he is as close to a sure thing as you will find in the baseball draft.
May 17, 200719 yr I was referring to why he has fallen in the draft order according to some publications, not about us taking him.
May 18, 200719 yr latest mock sub only, here is the fish 12. MARLINS. Florida has used its five first-round picks in the last four years on pitchers and that streak should continue in 2007. Of the best high school arms, the Marlins would prefer Parker or Aumont. Heyward also will be in the their mix. Tennessee center fielder Julio Borbon would fill a need, but he?s also represented by Boras. ? Projected Pick: Jarrod Parker.
May 18, 200719 yr Author Where does that mock draft have Wieters going? All the way to 18 to the Cardinals. Also has us passing on Jason Heyward.
May 30, 200719 yr Author New mock by Mayo, I like this one. :thumbup 12. Florida Marlins: Jarrod Parker, RHP, Norwell HS (Ind.) There were plenty of Marlins who witnessed Schmidt's tourney gem last week, and if he were around they would be tempted to add an advanced college arm to join the ones in the organization already. But assuming he's gone, they could go with the top prep arm still on the board in Parker, who has wowed many scouts with his stuff and arm strength, even though he is the classic "undersized right-hander." If they want to go bat, it certainly isn't out of the question for them to go with last week's projection, Jason Heyward. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...7&fext=.jsp
May 31, 200719 yr Author hehehe Jonathan and I have been speaking :shifty Tell him not to scare me anymore with the "if Nick Schmidt falls the Marlins will take him" talk anymore. I don't like that one at all! :thumbdown
May 31, 200719 yr Marlins will draft..... http://www.aflacallamerican.com/2006/Roster/index.cfm?id=146 He fits the Marlins 1st round profile perfectly !
May 31, 200719 yr Author Marlins will draft..... http://www.aflacallamerican.com/2006/Roster/index.cfm?id=146 He fits the Marlins 1st round profile perfectly ! I definitely can see him being the pick. In fact, if there were odds on it I'd make him the favorite right now.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.