NCAA moves back 3 point line

Jimmy42Jack0

Its still 3 feet shorter than the Nba but i like the added challenge. I wish they would try and tweak the rules to help out the big-men. The OSU-Georgetown game was a match up for the but was ruined by Oden and Hibbert in foul trouble

No fan of college basketball should really welcome this. The shorter 3-point line is one of the things that makes NCAAB the best sport around and what promotes upsets and helps teams get back in games.

LOL @ thinking this will make 'streetball' used less.

The farther out the 3-point line goes the more one on one take your man to the basket plays will exist.

I don't think the difference is gonna be that noticeable, to be honest. The new college 3 will still be well shorter than the NBA 3 and most of the good college 3-point shooters don't stand right at the line anyway. It might have an effect on some of the guys with marginal range but any of the real shooters should have no problem adjusting.

No fan of college basketball should really welcome this. The shorter 3-point line is one of the things that makes NCAAB the best sport around and what promotes upsets and helps teams get back in games.

LOL @ thinking this will make 'streetball' used less.

The farther out the 3-point line goes the more one on one take your man to the basket plays will exist.

oh...you mean like real basketball...where strategy and athletes win, not some chump who only hoists up 3's (jj redickulously gay)

You said a close 3-point line promotes 'streetball' when it definitely doesn't.

The more wide open the game is, the more one on one the game becomes, look at the NBA.

i define streetball as guys who only take 3's and only drive and dunk...why is dwade a superstar...because he can dunk? no...its because his midrange game in phenominal...i love a good midrange game, something that most college kids know little about

In just terms of last season, you believe teams like Davidson, Air Force, Winthrop, and Virginia (all but one was a NCAA tournament team and that one was a top 25 team during the year) played 'streetball' last season in accordance with their dependence on the 3-point shot?

In just terms of last season, you believe teams like Davidson, Air Force, Winthrop, and Virginia (all but one was a NCAA tournament team and that one was a top 25 team during the year) played 'streetball' last season in accordance with their dependence on the 3-point shot?

no...i hate teams that run up and just shoot 3 all the time...to me...this is streetbal

What team would that be?

Team name + year + their success.

k thx.

Also, this smells like most of your 'stances' and has more to do with your own feeling (whether it has anythingto back it beyond your own words) and thought than actual reality and truth.

What team would that be?

k thx.

Also, this smells like most of your 'stances' and has more to do with your own feeling (whether it has anythingto back it beyond your own words) and thought than actual reality and truth.

oh, like our disagreement the other night where i provided 4 sources of information...no...just because you dont agree with it doesnt make it the gospel truth...and sorry it will hurt your little dukies...i dont need to name a team, a year and their success...you come from the antoine "i shoot so many 3's because there isnt a 4 pointer" walker school of basketball philosophy...i dont...sh*t, if i ran the NCAA, i would have moved it back a foot further than what was already changed...

What team would that be?

k thx.

oh, like our disagreement the other night where i provided 4 sources of information

Including some blatant propaganda by pro-marijuana groups. And was this the same time when you ignored every other piece of information that refuted your point? But that is neither here nor there.

This rule won't change too much. The "streetball", whatever that means, aspect of the game is what makes college different and more exciting. Most of these guys aren't going to play in the NBA, so we shouldn't expect them to be as good as NBA players, and we shouldn't move the line back just so the 2% of players who do move on to professional ball will be accustomed to it. The NCAA is not a breeding ground for the NBA, and it shouldn't be treated as such.

What team would that be?

k thx.

oh, like our disagreement the other night where i provided 4 sources of information

Including some blatant propaganda by pro-marijuana groups. And was this the same time when you ignored every other piece of information that refuted your point? But that is neither here nor there.

This rule won't change too much. The "streetball", whatever that means, aspect of the game is what makes college different and more exciting. Most of these guys aren't going to play in the NBA, so we shouldn't expect them to be as good as NBA players, and we shouldn't move the line back just so the 2% of players who do move on to professional ball will be accustomed to it. The NCAA is not a breeding ground for the NBA, and it shouldn't be treated as such.

no different than you ignoring my information...and im not expecting them to be as good as nba players...but i just hate teams that go up and throw 30 3's at the basket...thats not basketball...its closer to horseshoes for god's sakes...and its not to make certain players more accustomed to shooting from deep...it was designed to discourage shooting soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many 3 pointers

What team would that be?

k thx.

oh, like our disagreement the other night where i provided 4 sources of information...no...just because you dont agree with it doesnt make it the gospel truth...and sorry it will hurt your little dukies...i dont need to name a team, a year and their success...you come from the antoine "i shoot so many 3's because there isnt a 4 pointer" walker school of basketball philosophy...i dont...sh*t, if i ran the NCAA, i would have moved it back a foot further than what was already changed...

You prove your ignorance/stupidity on the subject/life the more you babble.

At least bring something to the table in a 'discussion'. Stats, real examples, reasoning.

I can't believe I wasted my time if the discussion hit its zenith with that mess of words you just posted.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m120...226/ai_95357914

"Since 1986-87, when the 3-point shot became the law of the land, long-range attempts nearly have doubled but accuracy has declined steadily. Teams took almost a third of their shots from 3-point range last season but made only 34.5 percent--down from 38.4 percent 15 years ago. That deterioration almost certainly would be exacerbated by an increase in the required distance.

Missed shots might be exciting in some sports--hockey, soccer--but there already are enough in basketball that fans are unlikely to be stimulated by the sight of another half-dozen attempts per game bouncing off the rim."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...230348/-1/CINCI

"I think it's going to eliminate some marginal shooters that were shooting 3s," said University of Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin. "Those kind of guys probably won't be shooting 3s. I think you'll have less players taking 3-point shots."

When the 3-point shot was adopted in 1986-87, teams averaged 9.2 attempts per game and made 3.5 of them. Last season, they attempted an average of 18.9 3-pointers and made 6.6.

The new distance, Xavier coach Sean Miller said, is in the best interest of the game because it re-establishes the emphasis on skill over brawn.

"Basketball has always been a skill game," Miller said. "Any rule that continues to have that at the forefront favors the game, and this certainly does."

Even though the 3-point distance would be moved back only 1 foot, Miller said, that 1 foot would make an appreciable difference.

"It will clearly separate those who take them randomly from those that are consistently shooting from that range," Miller said.

my point is...scoring is down since the advent of the 3 point line...why? because bad shooters are still taking alot of 3's and moving the line back will eliminate hasty 3 pointers being put up all over the place which is a better thing for the game

This will probably have little to no effect on the major programs since the top shooters on those teams can for the most part knock it down from NBA range. This line is still well short of the NBA line.

It may have a small to moderate effect on some of the smaller programs, like the mid-majors, where maybe the shooters aren't quite of the same caliber as those of the major programs.

Think of it as similar to when the Masters decide to "Tiger proof" the course by making it longer...which was completely counterproductive, since Tiger was the only golfer out there who could hack it at those distances.

Guest Night Phantom

How does this encourage streetball? I don't know what streets you play in, but all of the public places I've played basketball it's all about one on one and dunks. The three point line is the great equalizer for guys with great shots that wouldn't be able to do much in a game oriented towards slashers.

Furthermore, you know that the articles you linked to are counterproductive to moving the line back, right? If teams jack up threes all game and miss them, then they'll either change their strategy or lose. Who cares?

This was done to try and discourage upsets, no doubt in my mind.

Just like only 4 mid major at larges getting in while teams like Arkansas, Stanford, Illinois, etc all got in undeservedly.

NCAA basketball is a $ issue. Nothing more, nothing less.

How does this encourage streetball? I don't know what streets you play in, but all of the public places I've played basketball it's all about one on one and dunks. The three point line is the great equalizer for guys with great shots that wouldn't be able to do much in a game oriented towards slashers.

Furthermore, you know that the articles you linked to are counterproductive to moving the line back, right? If teams jack up threes all game and miss them, then they'll either change their strategy or lose. Who cares?

that was my point...that this should change strategies, and make the game flow better...rather than have missed 3, after missed 3...maybe some player would try driving or taking "mid range" jumpers rather than 3 point attempts which have a greater chance of going in than W. has of being a great president