What the SF Chronicle is saying about Mando

The only "debate" lies with people who don't understand that the columnist meant city size in the context of a baseball market. Low attendance plus small payroll equals small market team. You can't just spew a bunch of random facts everywhere to distract from the point that the columnist knew exactly what he was saying and you missed it. Get over yourself.

The only "debate" lies with people who don't understand that the columnist meant city size in the context of a baseball market. Low attendance plus small payroll equals small market team. You can't just spew a bunch of random facts everywhere to distract from the point that the columnist knew exactly what he was saying and you missed it. Get over yourself.

Miami is not a small baseball market. Miami is an underperforming baseball market. San Francisco was an underperforming baseball market some 15 or so years ago. That is why we almost had the Tampa Bay Giants had it not been for court actions and a veto by Wayne Huizenga.

I did not miss anything.

What part of

Oh, and re: the South Florida market vs. the split Giants / A's market.

/useless debate

are you having trouble grasping?

Those "random facts" weren't in reference to what the columnist's true message was, genius.

What part of

/useless debate

Those "random facts" weren't in reference to what the columnist's true message was, genius.

Hi, that wasn't addressed to you.

What part of

/useless debate

Hi, that wasn't addressed to you.

certainly had me fooled.

Not for baseball attendance.

A city is larger than how many people come out to watch a ballgame. Metro South Florida has over 4 million people and Miami-Dade County alone has over 2 million people.

You are trying to tell us Metro South Forida had more than 15K people last year? And we didn't have a population boom getting our combined numbers to 18K this year?? Darn. And here I was thinking South Florida actually was supporting MLB here as best they could.

Having a minor league team doesnt make a place fans of a certain team. I doubt there were any marlins fans in maine when the sea dogs were an affiliate.

Actually you would be wrong with that, but mainly just because of your wording. There were plenty of Marlins fans in the Portland area. They are a pretty loyal group there. But seeing that the BoSox owned that team before the Marlins were even in existance made a majority of folks in the greater Portland area Sox fans.

It's why there are so many Braves fans in PBC. The Braves were here before they were in Atlanta. ST and their A club played right near downtown on PBLB. And to a different extent there is a ton of Cards fans here because of their facility in Jupiter right now. The Cards thing may not be a good example because of retirees, but you get my point I hope.

Having a minor league team doesnt make a place fans of a certain team. I doubt there were any marlins fans in maine when the sea dogs were an affiliate.

Actually you would be wrong with that, but mainly just because of your wording. There were plenty of Marlins fans in the Portland area. They are a pretty loyal group there. But seeing that the BoSox owned that team before the Marlins were even in existance made a majority of folks in the greater Portland area Sox fans.

It's why there are so many Braves fans in PBC. The Braves were here before they were in Atlanta. ST and their A club played right near downtown on PBLB. And to a different extent there is a ton of Cards fans here because of their facility in Jupiter right now. The Cards thing may not be a good example because of retirees, but you get my point I hope.

There really is no way to prove this one way or anthere. There are braves fans everywhere. The reason is that their games are on (and have been on) all the time on TBS so they are easy to follow. More importantly, the fact they won the division 13 years in a row (or however many years). Its impossible to say if those fans are fans of winning or fans because of spring training/minor leagues. How many Twins fans are there in Ft. Myers? I really think its unrealistic to expect minor league fans to be fans of the major league team. I would assume, for the most part, that fans would go with geography rather than major league affiliate.

I really dont think there are or were a lot of marlins fans in portland. We'll have to ask someone from maine. It seems far fetched that someone would give up on the redsox (probably 95% of them are redsox fans) and cheer for the marlins all because they just purchased the sea dogs.