When JJ and co are healthy

Iowa

Lets say the progression on their returns is the order in which we make the moves

1. The first question i have is, when JJ comes back, does Wes or Miller go back to AAA? I know Tank is struggeling but I think it will only be temporary. I know Wes isnt an overpowering guy or the most flashy player, but he can start games.. and its always nice to have an emergency spot starter/mulltiple inning/mop up guy in the pen, especially with the injury bug that has hit us this year.

2 When KMart is deemed 100%, is he going straight to the big club? If so, Wes or Miller will be gone.

3. Ross for Linden I would assume..

4. Wood or Abercrombie (or Borchard) for Jake?

5. Who for De Aza?

6. Anibal?

7. Nolasco?

----------------

My opinions:

1. Miller

2. AAA

3. Linden

4. Abercrombie.

5. Wood

6. Wes

7. AAA

So after all that, my roster would be:

C - Olivo

1B - Jake

2B - Uggla

SS - Hanley

3B - Cabrera

LF - Willingham

CF - De Aza

RF - Hermida

Bench: Treanor, Boone, Amezaga, Ross, Borchard

SP DTrain

SP Mitre

SP Olsen

SP JJ

SP Anibal

CL Gregg

MR Mando

MR Owens

MR Lindstrom

MR Tank

MR Pinto

MR Kim

Damn i wish we could have seen this team the whole year. If we chose to move BK and Mando before the deadline, KMart and Nolasco will take their spots.

The option situation suggests to me that when Martinez is back, he probably goes to Carolina or Albuquerque unless someone has absolutely imploded in the bullpen.

Miller probably gets waived for JJ (unfortunate, but necessary given Obermueller's versatility).

Wood for Jacobs (if it's not him, we just have too many infielders on the bench with underwhelming speed).

Abercrombie for De Aza

Obermueller for whoever's ready first of Sanchez/Nolasco and then when the other's ready, it's purely performance.

So we'd have a starting 9 of

Hanely

Uggla

Miggy

Jake

Hammer

Hermida

De Aza

Olivo

P

and a bench of: Boone, Borchard, Amezaga, Treanor, Ross. Gives you a pure infielder in Boone, a hybrid in Amezaga, pop in Ross and a defensive replacement in Borchard.

I love that roster, but I don't see why Anibal or Scott Olsen are guaranteed spots in the rotation with the way Kim is pitching. I wouldn't be opposed at all to sending Olsen down right now. In fact, when Anibal and JJ are both healthy, I think moving Olsen down to Carolina to work on a changeup and to send him a message would be a smart move.

I wonder if we'll move Kim once people get healthy, considering how he reacted to being regulated to the Pen in Colorodo.

If he keeps pitching like he has been, I'm sure somebody will take a flier on him. I mean, the beef for him before was that he was loco and didn't pitch well. He's been fine on both accounts so far. Didn't the O's have interest in him, when he was with COL? We wouldn't get something amazing, but if we get a minor leaguer, that frees up a spot in the majors.

I wonder if we'll move Kim once people get healthy, considering how he reacted to being regulated to the Pen in Colorodo.

If he keeps pitching like he has been, I'm sure somebody will take a flier on him. I mean, the beef for him before was that he was loco and didn't pitch well. He's been fine on both accounts so far. Didn't the O's have interest in him, when he was with COL? We wouldn't get something amazing, but if we get a minor leaguer, that frees up a spot in the majors.

When you've had as many injury/effectiveness issues as we've had with rotation pitchers, dumping a starter, especially one who's arguably been the second best pitcher on the staff, is not a solid idea.

Kim'll at least stick in the bullpen.

While I agree with you with the fact that I'd much rather have Kim, with how he's pitching, then not have him, if he becomes a problem again because he's in the bullpen, then he'll do more bad then good. If he's fine with being in the bullpen - GREAT! If he's going to become a cancer, I'd rather see him on another team.

I sure wouldn't be moving Kim out of the rotation for anyone short of the rocket. You don't take away a spot from Kim, who has given us excellent starts in 3 out of 4 performances, for someone like Nolasco, who probably won't ever amount to anything as a starter anyway.

As far as I am concerned, JJ gets Obermeller's spot, and guys like Anibal and Nolasco better hope for someone else to go down before they get the starting nod.

I sure wouldn't be moving Kim out of the rotation for anyone short of the rocket. You don't take away a spot from Kim, who has given us excellent starts in 3 out of 4 performances, for someone like Nolasco, who probably won't ever amount to anything as a starter anyway.

As far as I am concerned, JJ gets Obermeller's spot, and guys like Anibal and Nolasco better hope for someone else to go down before they get the starting nod.

I agree on Kim but I think it's too early to decide whose spot JJ gets. It's between Obermuller and Olsen.

I agree on Kim but I think it's too early to decide whose spot JJ gets. It's between Obermuller and Olsen.

No. It will be between Obermueller and Kim. Olsens rotation spot is in no jeopardy.

No. It will be between Obermueller and Kim. Olsens rotation spot is in no jeopardy.

Please explain why a guy who has pitched poorly all year and has an ERA of 5.35 wouldn't be in jeopardy to losing his spot in the rotation?

Because he has the best stuff on said staff, is probably the most competitive pitcher we have, and should only get better as the season goes along whereas Kim and Obermueller should regress.

2 pitches does not=best stuff on staff. Dontrelle has better stuff,when JJ comes back he has better stuff, Anibal healthy has better stuff and right now Sergio Mitre has better stuff.

If he has such great stuff, how come last year in a full season he put up average numbers and this year he is putting awful numbers??

Because he has the best stuff on said staff, is probably the most competitive pitcher we have, and should only get better as the season goes along whereas Kim and Obermueller should regress.

2 pitches does not=best stuff on staff. Dontrelle has better stuff,when JJ comes back he has better stuff, Anibal healthy has better stuff and right now Sergio Mitre has better stuff.

If he has such great stuff, how come last year in a full season he put up average numbers and this year he is putting awful numbers??

Mitre sux

Olsen god

Mitre sux

Olsen god

This is true. I don't even know why I am bothering with the troll again.

Im not a troll.

People just get down on Scotty O for no good reason. "Average #'s in 2006". A 1.30 WHIP and close to 9 K/9 is not mediocre. Neither was the 4.04 ERA. And that was as a 22 year old.

What would you call his numbers this year and why aren't they a good reason to be down on him?

Im not a troll.

People just get down on Scotty O for no good reason. "Average #'s in 2006". A 1.30 WHIP and close to 9 K/9 is not mediocre. Neither was the 4.04 ERA. And that was as a 22 year old.

What would you call his numbers this year and why aren't they a good reason to be down on him?

Never said dont be down on him. Its a sophomore slump. It happens. He is a very talented young pitcher who will turn it around. How about last year he pitched 50 more innings than he had in any other year(187 last year total, in 2005 he pitched 100.2 total, in 2004 136.1).

Im not a troll.

Never said dont be down on him. Its a sophomore slump. It happens. He is a very talented young pitcher who will turn it around. How about last year he pitched 50 more innings than he had in any other year(187 last year total, in 2005 he pitched 100.2 total, in 2004 136.1).

Then what is the problem with sending him down when we have a surplus of pitchers in a few weeks to work out the kinks in the minors instead of letting him go out and get shelled every time he pitches???

Well, for one, he hasnt got shelled every time he pitches. He has got shelled 4 out of his 12 starts(and I will be the first to admit those 4 starts were pitiful). With his attitude, going down to Albuquerque probably wont help either. Hes just got to get his arm strength back to 100% after his major jump in IP last year. Should be before the ASB. Albuquerque is also a launching pad, so no need to put him in a position to hurt his confidence anymore.

Olsen is a competitive gamer who lets his emotions get the best of him. His ERA in the 8 starts where he hasnt got shelled is better than the league average ERA in the NL right now.

He will put it together, just needs to find a way to stay away from the big inning.

Well, for one, he hasnt got shelled every time he pitches. He has got shelled 4 out of his 12 starts(and I will be the first to admit those 4 starts were pitiful). With his attitude, going down to Albuquerque probably wont help either. Hes just got to get his arm strength back to 100% after his major jump in IP last year. Should be before the ASB. Albuquerque is also a launching pad, so no need to put him in a position to hurt his confidence anymore.

Olsen is a competitive gamer who lets his emotions get the best of him. His ERA in the 8 starts where he hasnt got shelled is better than the league average ERA in the NL right now.

He will put it together, just needs to find a way to stay away from the big inning.

Just going out on a limb here, but I think if you take away most pitcher's worst 4 starts out of 12, they have great ERAs

Just going out on a limb here, but I think if you take away most pitcher's worst 4 starts out of 12, they have great ERAs

Granted. Im just saying he is still young, pitched a very inflated # of innings compared to his prior seasons last year, his attitude makes a demotion all the more unappealing, and he is extremely talented.

If anything, skip a few starts, have him throw BP sessions, and help get his strength back to where it needs to be. Maybe introduce him to meditation.

BKs spot is safe until Anibal or Nolasco are healthy and can show they can pitch effective. Heck, it might not even happen this year. JJ is obviously going to take Wes' spot in the rotation.

I'm in the boat that believes Olsen is too good to keep pitching this poorly. I believe he'll turn it around and if there are whispers about his immediate future in the rotation being questioned, i hope he takes it to heart and pitches like we know he can.

I know one thing for sure, I hope BK keeps pitching this well up until the trade deadline. I really enjoy watching him play and like the guy but if he can keep pitching well, we'll get some good value at the deadline. By that time, our SP depth is (hopefully) at full strength (DTran, JJ, Mitre, Anibal, Olsen, Nolasco)... and then pen should be effing deep.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.