Olivo's CERA

Thank you Ensam for this link :thumbup .

Definition: CERA - Catcher's earned-run average. Earned-run average of club's pitchers with a particular catcher behind the plate

~ESPN.com

I was going to post something like this before because I really wanted to know how our pitchers perform with Olivo catching.

(Stats are going to be based on starting catchers - with atleast 30 games started).

Catchers worse than Olivo (CERA)

Molina - 4.92

Schneider- 4.76

Ruiz - 4.63

Olivo - 4.58 (Does not include today's game)

And.... Treanor - 3.71 CERA

I thought I would post this because I thought some people would be interested.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/stats/fi...amp;qualified=0

I just found this link... He is worse :lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/stats/fi...amp;qualified=1

As I also said, for those who don't read the game threads.

The only player with more passed balls: Barret (Who can atleast hit the ball).

The only two starting catchers with worse offensive numbers: Navarro (Who, atleast, is only 23 and looks to have a bright future) and Kendall (Who is 33, and should be able to turn up his OBP back to a good number). Olivo, meanwhile, is 28...a.k.a. in his prime.

I would absolute love for Treanor to start. Am I expecting anything amazing? No. I'm only expecting one thing: For him to be an upgrade on Olivo deffensively and calling a game.

I mean, you look at the strengths of Olivo over Treanor:

1)He has more power

-Yeah, he does. His SLG is nearly .100 points higher then Treanors. Not only that, but Olivo is great against LHP: This year he has a 1.056 OPS, and for his career it's .873.

Here's the counteraguement though: Olivo's OBP. Against RHP? Olivo's is an abismal .199, that's just insane. Treanor atleast has a .313 OBP throughout his career against RHP. Amazing? No. But we can atleast expect him to be on base about once per game.

And I'd gladly argue that OBP > SLG. Just look at it this way, a team with a 1.000 OBP will score an infinite amount of runs (Given nothing like pick offs, caught stealing, ect.). A team with a 1.000 SLG could score as little as 9. And Treanor actually has a better career OPS against RHP. Olivo: .594, Treanor: .603.

Also, Treanor averages a walk every 9 ABs. Olivo, 24.

Am I saying Treanor is a good hitter? No, he's the black holes of black holes. But I'd take his bat, atleast against RHP, over Olivo, regardless of Olivo's superior power. Platoon them with Olivo batting against LHP? Yeah, that's fine with me.

2) A stronger arm

-Yeah he does. And him giving that one guy a concussion with his follow through was probably his high light of the year. But Treanor doesn't have a weak arm. Throught their careers, Olivo has thrown out a good number of 34.2% of runners, and Treanor has thrown out a respectable 29.8%, less then a 5% difference.

Meanwhile, deffensively, Olivo can hardly catch a ball that hits his glove flat on. Olivo averages a PB every 80 innings throughout his career, one every 64 this year. Treanor, one every 153 innings, nearly twice that of Olivo's, and this year he only has one in 119 innings. And the CERA posted above by Holly shows the difference between how well the two can call a game. And for those that say small sample size, like Penguino above, if you combine the last two years, Olivo: 4.49, Treanor: 4.09

3) Olivo's faster...which really doesn't matter for a catcher.

Treanor's nothing special, but atleast he's an upgrade, and by this point that's all that matters to me.

I think that stats overrated because it's not as if the catcher gets to call pitches all the time. The pitching coach and catcher go over sequencing between innings, and during the game, you'll often see the better hitters have pitches called from the dugout.

What's alarming to me is the past ball ratio, and the K:BB ratio.

I think that stats overrated because it's not as if the catcher gets to call pitches all the time. The pitching coach and catcher go over sequencing between innings, and during the game, you'll often see the better hitters have pitches called from the dugout.

Well, another thing to think about is being able to paint a pitch to get an ump to call a ball a strike. Treanor has done well at it, it's hard for Olivo if he can't catch the ball.

Im through with Olivo. I wish we can start treanor more and let him be the main guy for a while and see how things go. Yes Treanor is not going to hit for power but atleast he can work the pitcher. With Olivo its swing at the first pitch and try and get lucky and if he dosent get lucky most likley strikeout.

Olivo has 214 at bats and has 6 walks!! not to mention he is a K machine 55 (including today)

Treanor has 43 at bats and has 4 walks

Something else that I've notice is Treanor calls a better game!

I think the reason why DTrain and Olsen are pitching bad is because Olivo is catching them. Last year i remember Willis and Olsen were caught most if not all the time by Treanor and they had a good year.

Another example look at BK good games except the last one and treanor is catching him.

Vanden Hurk's game vs the Braves ( i believe was caught by treanor) and he did a great job.

Today Olivo catches him and look what happened. I know it could be vanden hurk who had a bad game but damn all i saw him throw was fastballs. How about olivo calls some curve balls or change ups. the curve ball was not bad ( he struck out crawford on it earlier) Everyone was sitting on the fastball. Also Vanden Hurk started to use the change up his last inning and it was working.

The only one having success with olivo catching him is Mitre. The reason for that is because Mitre is pitching nasty and its mostly sinkers.

Forget offense, Do you guys think that the reason for some of the struggles with the starting pitching is due to Olivo calling a game?

I say let treanor catch olsen and willis for 1 start and see what happens.

Well, another thing to think about is being able to paint a pitch to get an ump to call a ball a strike. Treanor has done well at it, it's hard for Olivo if he can't catch the ball.

Oh that's overrated too.

Framing isn't the product of the catcher, but a bad umpire.

I hate Olivo, loathe him, but there are so many better things to point to than this. Especially when any conceivable stat that is 100% individual player related shows he's severly below average.

I have detached myself from any thoughts on Olivo, as it only makes me angry and I realize at the same time he will start the majority of the games remaining this year and will most likely be retained again this offseason and will start the majority of the games next year.

Since I have relegated my psyche into believing Olivo doesnt exist as a Florida Marlin, it has been a much more peaceful experience. Its very zen in fact.

I have detached myself from any thoughts on Olivo, as it only makes me angry and I realize at the same time he will start the majority of the games remaining this year and will most likely be retained again this offseason and will start the majority of the games next year.

Since I have relegated my psyche into believing Olivo doesnt exist as a Florida Marlin, it has been a much more peaceful experience. Its very zen in fact.

I am PrAyInG that, I think it was Ramp that said it, since the FO is hoping Hayes will be ready to be the starting catcher in '08, Olivo has no chance at all of being retained.

I have no idea what this means but it looks like the Mudcats picked up another catcher - John Purdom (Late May). He has only played in 6 games for them. Right now they are carrying 3 catchers. I am not sure if that is normal to carry 3 catchers (minors). Hopefully that means something. We just need a change. The Topes are also carrying 3 (Hoover is on the DL though) so that might be normal?? Argh... I guess my research paper is making me over think these dumb situations :loser .