FALSE RUMOR: Griffey Traded to the Braves

Junior

Early July 2002

Detroit Tigers traded cash to Oakland Athletics as part of 3-team trade in which

Oakland Athletics sent Carlos Pena and Franklyn German to Detroit Tigers; New York

Yankees sent Ted Lilly, Jason Arnold and (Seminoles great) John-Ford Griffin to Oakland Athletics;

Detroit Tigers sent Jeff Weaver to New York Yankees; and Oakland Athletics sent

Jeremy Bonderman to Detroit Tigers (August 22, 2002).

And from the Reds beat writer.

GRIFFEY TRADE TALK: While Dunn's name is churned around the trade mill, there also has been speculation about Ken Griffey Jr. But the Reds have not approached Griffey's agent, Brian Goldberg, about any prospective trades. As a 10-5 player (10-year veteran, five years with the same club), Griffey could reject any trade.

But, with all those trades, the players involved were conspicuously available, not a shot in the dark like this with Griffey.

I mean, you don't think the Mets would make a play to keep him out of Atlanta, even if it's as a 3rd team in a 3 teamer that sends him to the AL?

one problem, griffey has a no trade clause and he pretty much said he was only going to atlanta if he were traded. so it wouldn't work.

Got a link?

WFAN in New York is reporting Griffey has been sent to to Braves or is about to be sent to the Braves. He has agreed to waive his no-trade clause to go to Atlanta and has already signed off on paperwork to do so. Details to follow as they become available, but it may be part of a huge fire sale in Cincinnati as there are also rumors out that Adam Dunn could be sent to the Dodgers.

Ummm...wow.

:lol

Good source there!

WFAN in New York is reporting Griffey has been sent to to Braves or is about to be sent to the Braves. He has agreed to waive his no-trade clause to go to Atlanta and has already signed off on paperwork to do so. Details to follow as they become available, but it may be part of a huge fire sale in Cincinnati as there are also rumors out that Adam Dunn could be sent to the Dodgers.

Wow.

I think it would be good for the Reds and Junior. I'm hoping we get Salty in return.

The only thing that makes me think this may not be true is that Griffey is in the lineup tonight.

That's laughable!