FALSE RUMOR: Griffey Traded to the Braves

Junior

Kind of surprised that Cincinnati is getting rid of Dunn. Doesnt Castellini have deep pockets? I figured theyd move Dunn to 1B and let a combo of Hamilton/Denorfia/Freel/Bruce/Stubbs roam the OF for years to come.

A. Denorfia was traded to Oakland for Marcus McBeth and a PTBNL

B. Stubbs is sturggling to hit in low A ball

C. Dunn is not a Krivsky guy, and I don't think he is worth the money he will command on the market.

D. Dunn's probably a worse 1st basmen the LFer.

The McBeth deal wasn't bad. Denorfia had TJ surgery and was going to miss the entire year. He'll be 28 next year, and never played much in the majors. At what point does he become nothing more then a AAAA player?

That deal happend in April.

I'd be very surprised if this is true.

Blockbuster deals don't usually happen in early June.

6/29/00

NYY trade Rickey LeDee, Jake Westbrook and Zach Day to Cleveland for Dave Justice

6/27/02

Cleveland sends Bartolo Colon to Montreal for Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Brandon Phillips

Early July 2002

Detroit Tigers traded cash to Oakland Athletics as part of 3-team trade in which

Oakland Athletics sent Carlos Pena and Franklyn German to Detroit Tigers; New York

Yankees sent Ted Lilly, Jason Arnold and John-Ford Griffin to Oakland Athletics;

Detroit Tigers sent Jeff Weaver to New York Yankees; and Oakland Athletics sent

Jeremy Bonderman to Detroit Tigers (August 22, 2002).

June 2004

Houston Astros traded John Buck and cash to Kansas City Royals as part of 3-team

trade in which Oakland Athletics sent Mike Wood and Mark Teahen to Kansas City

Royals; Kansas City Royals sent Carlos Beltran to Houston Astros; and Houston Astros

sent Octavio Dotel to Oakland Athletics.

June 2004

Chicago White Sox traded Jeremy Reed, Miguel Olivo and Mike Morse to Seattle

Mariners in exchange for Freddy Garcia and Ben Davis.

those are all the blockbusters since 2000 alone, in June

But, with all those trades, the players involved were conspicuously available, not a shot in the dark like this with Griffey.

I mean, you don't think the Mets would make a play to keep him out of Atlanta, even if it's as a 3rd team in a 3 teamer that sends him to the AL?

But, with all those trades, the players involved were conspicuously available, not a shot in the dark like this with Griffey.

I mean, you don't think the Mets would make a play to keep him out of Atlanta, even if it's as a 3rd team in a 3 teamer that sends him to the AL?

Don't kid youself, Griffey and Dunn are both available.

Don't kid youself, Griffey and Dunn are both available.

I realize that, but it's not like they were Beltran in 2004 available.

I truly believe the one time the media actually impacts the MLB is trade deadline time. More rumors about a player's destination give credibility to a GM's suggestion of other offers being out there and forces some teams to become overly aggressive.

If the Reds are going to trade Griffey, every paper will know he's available and about 12 team's will have an article about him being linked to them.

one problem, griffey has a no trade clause and he pretty much said he was only going to atlanta if he were traded. so it wouldn't work.

one problem, griffey has a no trade clause and he pretty much said he was only going to atlanta if he were traded. so it wouldn't work.

Got a link?

Got a link?

WFAN in New York is reporting Griffey has been sent to to Braves or is about to be sent to the Braves. He has agreed to waive his no-trade clause to go to Atlanta and has already signed off on paperwork to do so. Details to follow as they become available, but it may be part of a huge fire sale in Cincinnati as there are also rumors out that Adam Dunn could be sent to the Dodgers.

Got a link?

He's a 10-5 guy Swifty. Griffey controls where he goes.

However, he never said he would only going to Atlanta. That part of her post was completly false, but I do know for a fact he has already given his approval on a trade to the ATL if the Reds were to work one out.

Here's some interestin stuff.

From Ken Rosenthal

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6911370

Teams wait to pull trigger on Dunn trade

Ken Rosenthal

The Reds are drawing significant trade interest in left fielder Adam Dunn, and if they're going to move the slugger, it would behoove them to do it as quickly as possible.

Dunn's contract stipulates that his $13 million club option for next season would be voided by a trade, making him a free agent at the end of the season. Thus, the sooner the Reds acted, the better the package they would receive.

The Dodgers are interested in Dunn, sources say, but seemingly have no place to put him; Dunn is below-average in left field, and neither he nor the Dodgers' current left fielder, Luis Gonzalez, would be adequate in right.

The Padres like Dunn, but have had no recent discussions with the Reds. The Twins are looking for a designated hitter, but Dunn, earning $10.5 million, is beyond their price range. The Angels have shown past interest in Dunn, but manager Mike Scioscia generally prefers more well-rounded players.

Dunn, 27, is an all-or-nothing hitter who has struck out 83 times in 220 at-bats this season, but posted an .869 on-base/slugging percentage, ninth among National League outfielders.

He clearly is better suited for the AL, where he could serve as a designated hitter; one rival executive wonders how a player who was a top high-school quarterback is now a "40" thrower on the scouts' 20 to 80 scale.

The Dodgers, ninth in the NL in runs per game, clearly are frustrated with their offense. Manager Grady Little has dropped center fielder Juan Pierre to eighth in the batting order, and the team promoted first baseman James Loney and outfielder Matt Kemp over the weekend.

Loney will spell Nomar Garciaparra and perhaps Gonzalez, and Kemp figures to be a fill-in for Pierre, who thus far has been a $44 million free-agent bust. One executive, however, says general manager Ned Colletti is itching to "pull a Kenny Williams" and make a pro-active move. His No. 1 choice, Marlins third baseman Miguel Cabrera, is not available.

One possibility would be to include Gonzalez along with young players in a deal for Dunn, but Gonzalez has been one of the Dodgers' hottest hitters of late as well as a strong clubhouse presence. Dunn has played 108 career games at first, but he would be blocked at that position by Garciaparra and Loney.