Immigration Law

The law doesn't make sense to me. Any bill that allows illegals to get citizenship before legal immigrants is a joke. I'm also not fond of a guest-worker program, unless it is very strictly regulated.

I would also like to see increased border security (God forbid!) before Congress signs any immigration bill.

Then, when a bill is written, it has to crack down HARD on businesses that are illegally hiring illegal immigrants. Right now only the immigrants are being arrested, and the businesses get off scot-free, which is very wrong. These immigrants rarely have a choice of where they get to work, so I want to see some employers arrested before more immigrants.

I have many illegal friends who came here jsut to work and if a person who robs someone or kills someoen can get bailed out of jail, then they can get out of illegalization or whowever you call it too.

Then they can go home and get in line like the rest of folk waiting still to become legal and following the proper ways. I have nothing against individuals coming to this country to live, work and raise their own family.

But, there is a proper way to handle things and they didnt handle it. They should therefore not recieve benefits for their Illegal Actions.

I have many illegal friends who came here jsut to work and if a person who robs someone or kills someoen can get bailed out of jail, then they can get out of illegalization or whowever you call it too.

Then they can go home and get in line like the rest of folk waiting still to become legal and following the proper ways. I have nothing against individuals coming to this country to live, work and raise their own family.

But, there is a proper way to handle things and they didnt handle it. They should therefore not recieve benefits for their Illegal Actions.

I think the people who alreeady applied legally go first.

Immigrants built this country and immigants continue to make this country. Who here wants to pay $8 a pound for tomatoes? Illegals do work that NONE of us are willing to do.

i grew up in a farming community - where there are no illegals - plenty of people wanting to do the job, as it is one of the few consistent paying jobs - also good season work for the kids in the summer

also the economic impact on the goods aren't going to be that great - you also fail to mention the other side of the economic spectrum (education, healthcare, crime, etc)

and finally you do not distinguish between immigrants and ILLEGAL immigrants

Immigrants built this country and immigants continue to make this country. Who here wants to pay $8 a pound for tomatoes? Illegals do work that NONE of us are willing to do.

i grew up in a farming community - where there are no illegals - plenty of people wanting to do the job, as it is one of the few consistent paying jobs - also good season work for the kids in the summer

also the economic impact on the goods aren't going to be that great - you also fail to mention the other side of the economic spectrum (education, healthcare, crime, etc)

The time when you grew up and the present are two different times. That may have been the case back then, but it's different now. Most businesses are short-staffed and need workers. No matter what you say, Americans are not filling those jobs. I know plenty of businesses that are severely short-staffed, and they're losing money as a result.

The second point you mention is highly debatable. Both sides of the debate have their own conclusions. The correct answer is probably somewhere in between. And the reality is that any law that passes will not allow criminals to stay in this country, will not allow people who are dependent on the system to stay here, etc.

In other words, only hard-working, honest people will be legalized. This law does not propose to legalize everyone.

Well, there will be no real distinction between immigrants and illegal immigrants if this law passes, right? You will make them not illegal, which means they will pay taxes, etc.

What you ignore is some folks cannot get in legally.

If you had to choose between entering the US illegally and been able to work and been able to feed your family or staying in your home country and not been able to work and not been able to feed your family what would you choose?

I agree, but the system needs an overhaul, we can't just ignore it using that excuse.

Who here wants to pay $8 a pound for tomatoes? Illegals do work that NONE of us are willing to do.

If anything, you've just presented an argument for why the illegals in the US shouldn't receive legal status.

Well, in that case he's also arguing for non-enforcement of the immigration laws and allowing illegal immigrants to stay without fear of being deported.

The time when you grew up and the present are two different times. That may have been the case back then, but it's different now. Most businesses are short-staffed and need workers. No matter what you say, Americans are not filling those jobs. I know plenty of businesses that are severely short-staffed, and they're losing money as a result.

The second point you mention is highly debatable. Both sides of the debate have their own conclusions. The correct answer is probably somewhere in between. And the reality is that any law that passes will not allow criminals to stay in this country, will not allow people who are dependent on the system to stay here, etc.

In other words, only hard-working, honest people will be legalized. This law does not propose to legalize everyone.

Well, there will be no real distinction between immigrants and illegal immigrants if this law passes, right? You will make them not illegal, which means they will pay taxes, etc.

no - the time I grew up is still the current time - same scenario in my home town and a lot of places i've lived - people who need jobs will do the work

also, how do you differentiate between the honest hard working illegals and the just plain old illegal illegals?! - no way a broad piece of legislation can do this

most of the legislation being proposed is lip service

in my opinion we need to be stronger in border enforcement, deportation & prosecution - also need to punish the businesses that employ and feed the system along with making the process to enter legally more efficient - our current standards are some of the more lax requirements for developed nations, it's just a very long process

no - the time I grew up is still the current time - same scenario in my home town and a lot of places i've lived - people who need jobs will do the work

also, how do you differentiate between the honest hard working illegals and the just plain old illegal illegals?! - no way a broad piece of legislation can do this

most of the legislation being proposed is lip service

in my opinion we need to be stronger in border enforcement, deportation & prosecution - also need to punish the businesses that employ and feed the system along with making the process to enter legally more efficient - our current standards are some of the more lax requirements for developed nations, it's just a very long process

if americans are so willing to do the jobs, why are employers hiring illegal aliens?

how do you differentiate? well, in several ways. first, you do a criminal background check. second, you verify their employment history to make sure they've been working. what else could you do?

border enforcement, deportation and prosecution is just plain silly. the reality is that people will continue to come if there are jobs. and employers will continue to hire if they don't have enough workers. it's supply and demand, plain and simple.

wise up and realize this is an economic issue that cannot be resolved by deporting people. (plus, how do you deport 12 million people?)

A lot of people here seem to be confused about this bill. Currently a 'legal' immigrant (not to be confused with a nonimmigrant), can eventually adjust to LPR status (legal permanent resident) almost immediately from the time their visa becomes available. Once an LPR, they have to wait 5 years to become USCs or 3 if married to a USC.

In the new bill, 'illegals' who have been in the country for a particular period of time, I believe its 5 years (or 10 its up for debate) will receive amnesty, which does not mean citizenship. They will basically be 'paroled', regaina temporary legal status, and that status will be provisional for 6 years before they can become LPRs. Once an LPR they still have the 5 or 3 year wait. So an illegal immigrant that has been here the allotted time must still wait minimum 9 years to become a citizen. Not even close to as fast as it is for an alien who currently has legal status.

It does not reward future illegal immigration because like all amnesties its going to be time barred. If you all remmeber the Haitian amnesty of the mid-90s, (HRIFA) people had to apply before the end of 2000. This law will have a similar bar. Once adjusting to LPR status the same limitations will apply, such as the alien can't adjust if hes committed a crime of moral turpitude. This new law is revolutionary and should definitely pass.