ESPN's Phil Rogers frosts Hanley

Guest markotsay7

Guest markotsay7

He wrote an article talking about who SHOULD (not will) be at the ASG and there was not even a mention of Hanley at short.

SS: Carlos Guillen, Tigers/J.J. Hardy, Brewers

Derek Jeter is the fans' choice, but we're guessing Guillen is shown some love by his fellow players. Orlando Cabrera has probably been the best all-around shortstop in the AL, but along with Jhonny Peralta, appears on the bubble. The Brewers aren't leading the NL Central without Hardy, who along with the Mets' Jose Reyes seems a safe pick. Atlanta's Edgar Renteria and the Phillies' Jimmy Rollins could be squeezed out.

He did, however, pick Miguel to start at third base.

Full article: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=2919802

I'm ambivalent regarding Hanley as an all-star. Offensively he's other-worldly and no one could argue he doesn't belong there but defensively he's so ho-hum I can't say he's among the league's best or even near it.

I voted for him on every ballot I cast purely out of homerism but he has to improve significantly with the glove before I think he beats out other NL shortstops as an ASG starter.

I'm ambivalent regarding Hanley as an all-star. Offensively he's other-worldly and no one could argue he doesn't belong there but defensively he's so ho-hum I can't say he's among the league's best or even near it.

I voted for him on every ballot I cast purely out of homerism but he has to improve significantly with the glove before I think he beats out other NL shortstops as an ASG starter.

Huh?

He's probably league average with the glove. Reyes is not a very good defender, despite what ESPN tells you. Renteria has been overrated for a while. Hardy's nothing special. Rollins is a nice defender, but not gold glove caliber. He's also a better hitter than any of them.

I would agree with most of that but nobody cares what somebody can do with the glove when it comes to being an ASG starter

I would agree with most of that but nobody cares what somebody can do with the glove when it comes to being an ASG starter

Look, I voted for the guy. I'm just saying I don't think he's a complete ballplayer yet. If he improves defensively I think he'll be a an ASG fixture for many years.

His defense isn't whats keeping him from starting in the all star game, I garauntee you that.

You're right- its the fact that Jose Reyes plays in NY and Hanley plays in South Florida. At least, that's what some would say. I don't even know if I believe this.

It plays a much larger role than Hanley's defense. Because 90% of people outside of South Florida don't know anything about his defense.

His defense isn't whats keeping him from starting in the all star game, I garauntee you that.

Most players aren't complete ballplayers. None of the other SS in the NL are as complete as Hanley.

Yup, and FWIW, I think Hardy's definitley the best of the aforementioned in terms of defense.

Miguel Cabrera will almost certainly be there, and I think Uggla has a good shot. He is leading the NL in extra base hits, and his offensive numbers are second only to Chase Utley, who will certainly start. Other than that, we have no pitchers with any real chance of going.

Defense is absolutely insignificant compared to the grandeur of baseball offense in today's game. You can be in the bottom 6 of starting shortshops, if you're in the top half offensively, it makes no difference to any FO.

There's a reason Alfonso Soriano's playing left-field...think about it.

Defense is absolutely insignificant compared to the grandeur of baseball offense in today's game. You can be in the bottom 6 of starting shortshops, if you're in the top half offensively, it makes no difference to any FO.

There's a reason Alfonso Soriano's playing left-field...think about it.

Yes, there is definitely a reason... he's not good defensively, couldn't even hack CF at Wrigley. If you can find a way to keep him in the lineup, then of course you move him around... but Alfonso will NEVER be moved out of a lineup for his defense, and neither will Hanley.

There's a reason Robert Andino's playing in Albuquerque... think about it.