Hanley's Defense

and of course he's not good enough for the All-Star Game, or so says the fans :banghead

I swear Baseball is so screwed up.....the best players should go period. Not the ones from NY or LA that people vote for because they have large fan bases. This is just another reason it will ALWAYS be difficult to attract big name free agents to the Marlins. We desparately need the GM & scouts to find diamonds in the rough, because no one of decent stature wil ever sign a FA contract with us.....because they know no matter how they play, they will be buried by the National Press.

and of course he's not good enough for the All-Star Game, or so says the fans :banghead

I swear Baseball is so screwed up.....the best players should go period. Not the ones from NY or LA that people vote for because they have large fan bases. This is just another reason it will ALWAYS be difficult to attract big name free agents to the Marlins. We desparately need the GM & scouts to find diamonds in the rough, because no one of decent stature wil ever sign a FA contract with us.....because they know no matter how they play, they will be buried by the National Press.

Gary Sheffield? Carlos Delgado?

The past 2 games his defense has been absolutely incredible. Its been a webgem orgy.

If he can do 75% of what he has done defensively the past 2 nights over an extended period of time I will be a believer (in his defense....Im already a believer in his offense)

Gary Sheffield? Carlos Delgado?

Dude that was a WORLD ago.....1st off Sheffield was traded for (we gave up Trevor Hoffmann if you don't remember) in 1994. And Delgado was two years after the World Series, and things still haden't gone as far south as they have attendance wise. We still got some 25,000+ crowds in 2005, and we were spending mid-range salary wise. Now the team is known as "El Cheapo", and you only come to the Marlins to salvage your career (Todd Jones, Joe Borowski, Wes Helms, Aaron Boone, Damian Easly) , or when you are trying desparately to hang on (Pokey Reese).

The past 2 games his defense has been absolutely incredible. Its been a webgem orgy.

If he can do 75% of what he has done defensively the past 2 nights over an extended period of time I will be a believer (in his defense....Im already a believer in his offense)

I wonder if any of them will be seen on ESPN ? Probably not, just because its the Marlins. :confused

Guest Festa

He looks like a different player the last couple of games.

An All-Star snub will sometimes do that to guys.

If half the guys in the starting line-up were All-Star snubs we'd run away with the pennant.

Enough bitching

this is a praise Hanley's defense thread... not the usual "espn and mlb are out to get us" one

I'm sure someone can find stats to the contrary but Hanley has to be the worst defensive starting shortstop in baseball. And he's getting worse not better.

Just precious.

DuDE He PLayED ExCEllEnT DefEnCE foR 2 GamES he'S bETTer tHAN OzZie SmITH!!!!!!!1111

Its a fantastic step in the right direction but lets not get carried away.

I'm sure someone can find stats to the contrary but Hanley has to be the worst defensive starting shortstop in baseball. And he's getting worse not better.

Just precious.

DuDE He PLayED ExCEllEnT DefEnCE foR 2 GamES he'S bETTer tHAN OzZie SmITH!!!!!!!1111

Thank the lord you're on my side. :thumbup

Guest Festa

Seriously Swift get off 2003s case. He made a point, which I partially agree with btw, and that's his right. If we're going to dig through everyone's post history to make them look bad that ruins the whole purpose of this forum. I'm tired of members leaving this website because of disputes with other members. This place would be 1000000% greater in terms of content (posters) if stuff like what you have been pulling against 2003 would have been squashed a long time ago.

Generalizations are fine but personal attacks cross the line.

Guest Festa

this is a praise Hanley's defense thread... not the usual "espn and mlb are out to get us" one

So you're The Post Nazi now ? :blink: As long as I haven't broken any of TOS please leave me alone and go flutter around someone else. :rolleyes:

Ok by your rationale I can start posting pics of Petra Nemcova in a bikini and it would be ok as long as the post hasn't broken any of the TOS. :rollseyes:

Another thing that needs some work in this forum. STAYING ON TOPIC.

Right when people start questioning hanley's range he shows it off some. He does seem like he's woken up a bit. Also, some one on here posted saying hanley isn't a team player he plays for himself or something like that. But when craig asked him questions about himself he answered back with comments about the team needing the wins and the pitching being good. So he obviously isn't self centered.

just random thoughts.

Right when people start questioning hanley's range he shows it off some. He does seem like he's woken up a bit. Also, some one on here posted saying hanley isn't a team player he plays for himself or something like that. But when craig asked him questions about himself he answered back with comments about the team needing the wins and the pitching being good. So he obviously isn't self centered.

just random thoughts.

I saw that and was impressed by his humbleness. Its refreshing to see athletes like these Marlins that seem to be thankful instead of acting like its a right to be playing baseball. So many MLB players forget its a privilege not a right.

just random thoughts.

Shadez has always had excellent range, that has never been his problem. he is also sometimes trying to do to much

While the easy explanation for the apparent turnaround in Ramirez' defense would be being snubbed for the ASG I'm reminded it occurred immediately after Amezaga put on a school at shortstop, replete with webgems, when Hanley was ailing. Nothing like have some utility player teach a course on how he position should be played to wake a guy up.

You never know what motivates people but whatever it was, it's a good thing. Let's hope we see alot of what we saw the last two nights throughout the second half.

Guest ShaqandWade323

Just because he's played good defense that last couple games doesn't mean he's fine now, I still expect more errors but that'll have to come with him gaining more experience.