:-|

Guest iFesta

po?ten?tial (pə-těn'shəl)

adj.

1. Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential problem.

2. Having possibility, capability, or power.

n.

1. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.

2. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.

It is a fact that 14 of his 22 starts this season have been very good. It is a fact that 13 of those 14 have been outstanding or better. It is a fact that this is his first season as a full time starter since 2003. It is a fact that he only threw 41 innings last season. It is a fact that he is all of 26 years old.

I am not writing off the fact that he has had some terrible starts over the past few weeks/months. Everyone does from time to time unless their names are Johan or Roy.

It's not like we are talking about BK Kim or Jason Marquis or John Thomson here. You don't know what you are going to get from him in the future. He is just entering the prime of his career right now. It does not matter if he was rated a #5 starter at best by scouts when he was in high school and the minor leagues (would love to see a scouting report by the way). It does not matter that the Cubs "threw him in" with Nolasco and Pinto in that trade last season. It does not matter that if our arms were healthy, he would have been in the bullpen or possible Albuquerque to start the season. Why should any of that matter?

Godfather, nor sgleason, nor I have ever said that he is currently a #3 starter. Not once has that been uttered. We have all said he could have Derek Lowe type upside and I refuse to believe that is not his ceiling. Why wouldn't it be? Most people will agree that Sergio Mitre has a very good sinker and why you refuse to even acknowledge the fact the he has an average sinker is beyond me. He is also showing very good control this year, as his walks per 9 are around 2.

I'm in the camp that believes he could be suffering from some kind of arm tiring but that's tough to really prove either way so I will steer clear of that point.

He gets the benefit of the doubt because he carried this team on his back for about 10 starts this year. He was an absolute ace and put his talents on display. He gets the benefit of the doubt because he is 26 years old and actually has some solid upside to him.

It doesn't matter what was said about him before. It shouldn't matter. He has made huge strides this season and there is little reason to believe he can't improve next season either.

He just got pounded. But he was also by far our best pitcher for a long time, maintaining a sub-3 era, all the while this team was refusing to let him win a game. His record is a joke. He could easily have 10+ wins on any legitimate mlb team. The marlins were not that this year for the majority of his starts. He got the shortest end of the stick this year by far. Mitre is our 2 going into next year, especially if Olsen isn't welcome back (F*ck You Samson).

not exactly helping my argument tonight

but his pitches have no bite, and he seems to be throwing a tad slower than usual

could definitely be suffering from tired arm...

or he could just suck

You know, you could accept my thankyou :whistle

Courtesy is such an anomaly in todays society.

Mitre is our 2 going into next year

He wont get it handed to him. He will have to fight to even make the big club out of ST, just like everyone else.

but his pitches have no bite, and he seems to be throwing a tad slower than usual

or he could just suck

You know, you could accept my thankyou :whistle

Courtesy is such an anomaly in todays society.

Mitre is our 2 going into next year

He wont get it handed to him. He will have to fight to even make the big club out of ST, just like everyone else.

i didn't say he would. but after what he showed this year, he's a lock for the rotation. unless you think young guys like volstad are gonna be ready?

Guest iFesta

or he could just suck

Agreed. His sinker isn't going straight down like it was earlier in the year. It's sorta has an 11 to 3 movement.

Well, you kind of have to break his season down...April->kind of meh, May->cant really explain how he did so well, June->halfway crappy, July/August->awful.

I would never call him a lock. Especially if he continues on his 3 month slide. He is 3 months removed from being the pitcher your thinking he is, at least from a performance standpoint.

What everyone should be asking, is the April/May version the real Mitre...or is it the June/July/August...my own personal opinion, the June/July/August is more likely the real one. Because, as I said, his ERA/WHIP/OPS from June on is almost identical to his totals in those categories from 01-05 and 06.

Well, you kind of have to break his season down...April->kind of meh, May->cant really explain how he did so well, June->halfway crappy, July/August->awful.

I would never call him a lock. Especially if he continues on his 3 month slide. He is 3 months removed from being the pitcher your thinking he is, at least from a performance standpoint.

What everyone should be asking, is the April/May version the real Mitre...or is it the June/July/August...my own personal opinion, the June/July/August is more likely the real one. Because, as I said, his ERA/WHIP/OPS from June on is almost identical to his totals in those categories from 01-05 and 06.

Mitre is a stone cold lock to make the rotation out of ST barring a trade, an injury or him giving up 20 runs in 5 innings.

LOCK.

and sorry I didn't acknowledge your "thank you"... I was too busy banging my head on a wall

Olsen, Nolasco, Gaby, Volstad, Barone maybe. He hasnt deserved "lock" rotation status for over 3 months. He should have to fight with everyone not named D-Train for a spot.

This is what bothers me about the Mitre supporters...they dont even really seriously consider that the way Mitre has pitched from June could really be the real Sergio Mitre(even though history suggests it very well could be the case).

They like to think April/May is the real Mitre and that June-on performance is the anomaly even though nothing suggests this.

As much flak as I take, I havent closed myself off that the April/May Mitre could be the way he really is, although I have serious doubts that that is in fact true.

I may be right, I may be wrong(and the same with all the Mitre skeptics), and the same can be said of the Mitre supporters. Just because my opinion differs with yours doesnt make me wrong or you right or vise versa.

I just wonder what they will say if he repeats his performance from June of this season on for the entirety of 2008. Will I still be "wrong" about him?

Have to take a wait and see approach.

I hope his arm is just tired, but I fear there may be something else wrong with his arm that Mitre is keeping to himself.

He was nasty earlier in the season and now he's getting pounded. You don't just lose your sinker like that without being hurt. I hope I'm wrong!

Olsen, Nolasco, Gaby, Volstad, Barone maybe. He hasnt deserved "lock" rotation status for over 3 months. He should have to fight with everyone not named D-Train for a spot.

This is what bothers me about the Mitre supporters...they dont even really seriously consider that the way Mitre has pitched from June could really be the real Sergio Mitre(even though history suggests it very well could be the case).

They like to think April/May is the real Mitre and that June-on performance is the anomaly even though nothing suggests this.

As much flak as I take, I havent closed myself off that the April/May Mitre could be the way he really is, although I have serious doubts that that is in fact true.

I may be right, I may be wrong(and the same with all the Mitre skeptics), and the same can be said of the Mitre supporters. Just because my opinion differs with yours doesnt make me wrong or you right or vise versa.

I just wonder what they will say if he repeats his performance from June of this season on for the entirety of 2008. Will I still be "wrong" about him?

Have to take a wait and see approach.

I like to look at full season stats, not just a month to month basis. Stop throwing random thoughts out there about what you think "we" believe. If you believe someone is ready to hit his prime, and you believe that someone may be suffering a bit late in the season with a tired arm, why would you bother thinking that what you believe isn't true?

Just like you believe there is no chance he improves, let alone is even guaranteed a starting rotation spot next season. Two sides of the street. And come October 1st of 2008, we'll gladly say we were wrong if we are. Not sure why you are lumping Godfather and I (sorry gleason, you haven't been here long enough) into this group of posters that wouldn't say we were wrong if he stinks next year.

I never said you were right or wrong, but some of the things you quote to try and prove your point are just retarded. I won't repeat myself, but you know what I am talking about.

Like you said, I guess we'll wait and see

Guest FishFanInPA

What has Barone done that says he deserves a spot over Mitre? Sergio just needs to get shut down for the rest of the season...I know we don't have much to replace him with but he's spent.

What has Barone done that says he deserves a spot over Mitre? Sergio just needs to get shut down for the rest of the season...I know we don't have much to replace him with but he's spent.

Exactly. This is where the blind hatred of all things Mitre comes into play. If Mitre was blocking someone I could see leading the campaign for his permanent ban from baseball but this is getting ridiculous.

I don't mind Mitre, I don't dislike Mitre, but honestly, he's not one of the 5 best pitchers this organization has that should be ready for 2008 and certainly not one of the 5 best for 2009.

You can take whatever you want from that, but that's just how I see it.

He'll start 2008 because of "issues" with Nolasco, Anibal, and Johnson. If those three were 100% healthy and had no concerns, he'd have no shot.

2009 is the key as you noted. Mitre will have no place on this ballclub if 2/3rds the pitchers pan out and stay healthy.

• 2 weeks later...