Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What does this disappoint (season) do in terms of next year?

Featured Replies

my expectations are pretty high for next year

 

define pretty high. . . .

I expect our offense to be top 3 in the NL with much more consistency (then again, I expect Hermida to bat in the top 4... so we'll see)

 

and obviously I expect our pitching to improve 10 fold

 

 

only will improve that much if our fielding improved 10 fold

my expectations are pretty high for next year

 

define pretty high. . . .

I expect our offense to be top 3 in the NL with much more consistency (then again, I expect Hermida to bat in the top 4... so we'll see)

 

and obviously I expect our pitching to improve 10 fold

 

 

only will improve that much if our fielding improved 10 fold

 

Defense is substantially overrated, and an easy scapegoat. Not to say it's unimportant but the '96-'00 Yankees were not built around defensive standouts. The 2003-2007 Red Sox are just an ungodly offense and top heavy starting pitching. The "new" Mets are very much the same.

 

You can't put a glove on a chair and expect to win, but I'd take the offensive upside of many of these players relative to their defensive ability to the bank every damn day. The only player who is not pulling his weight offensively such to warrant his defensive short-comings is Jacobs, and of course CF and C.

my expectations are pretty high for next year

 

define pretty high. . . .

I expect our offense to be top 3 in the NL with much more consistency (then again, I expect Hermida to bat in the top 4... so we'll see)

 

and obviously I expect our pitching to improve 10 fold

 

 

only will improve that much if our fielding improved 10 fold

 

Defense is substantially overrated, and an easy scapegoat. Not to say it's unimportant but the '96-'00 Yankees were not built around defensive standouts. The 2003-2007 Red Sox are just an ungodly offense and top heavy starting pitching. The "new" Mets are very much the same.

 

You can't put a glove on a chair and expect to win, but I'd take the offensive upside of many of these players relative to their defensive ability to the bank every damn day. The only player who is not pulling his weight offensively such to warrant his defensive short-comings is Jacobs, and of course CF and C.

 

 

Defense and pitching win championships more often than offense and more offense

my expectations are pretty high for next year

 

define pretty high. . . .

I expect our offense to be top 3 in the NL with much more consistency (then again, I expect Hermida to bat in the top 4... so we'll see)

 

and obviously I expect our pitching to improve 10 fold

 

 

only will improve that much if our fielding improved 10 fold

 

Defense is substantially overrated, and an easy scapegoat. Not to say it's unimportant but the '96-'00 Yankees were not built around defensive standouts. The 2003-2007 Red Sox are just an ungodly offense and top heavy starting pitching. The "new" Mets are very much the same.

 

You can't put a glove on a chair and expect to win, but I'd take the offensive upside of many of these players relative to their defensive ability to the bank every damn day. The only player who is not pulling his weight offensively such to warrant his defensive short-comings is Jacobs, and of course CF and C.

 

 

Defense and pitching win championships more often than offense and more offense

pitching, luck and timely hitting wins championships

 

this isnt football where defense is equally as important

 

(defense is important, mind you)

Putting runners on base whether by hits, walks or errors is always a bad thing and the Marlins have as this season rolls on been guilty of all three at almost unprecedented levels. This idea that defense is less important runs contrary to the way the game is played and for the statheads out there I'm surprised many of you haven't waded into this debate. You can't score if you don't get on base, that's baseball 101, and the Marlins have allowed too many opposing players to get on base in ways that good teams don't let happen.

 

But I personally have a bigger concern and that is that the FO shut a number of these pitchers down this off-season (I think Pinto had pitched virtually non-stop (until his injury) for about nineteen months and Owens went directly to Winter Ball after his 2006 season. I really don't want to see the Jesus Delgado's (an example, just a name) in our minor league system flocking to winter ball so they come to camp with a dead arm as Pinto did. Ditto a number of guys on our 25 man roster.

 

I know Miggy and AA will be playing in their respective countries and maybe other position players but for goodness sake let these young arms have a break even if the players feel otherwise.

Putting runners on base whether by hits, walks or errors is always a bad thing and the Marlins have as this season rolls on been guilty of all three at almost unprecedented levels. This idea that defense is less important runs contrary to the way the game is played and for the statheads out there I'm surprised many of you haven't waded into this debate. You can't score if you don't get on base, that's baseball 101, and the Marlins have allowed too many opposing players to get on base in ways that good teams don't let happen.

 

But I personally have a bigger concern and that is that the FO shut a number of these pitchers down this off-season (I think Pinto had pitched virtually non-stop (until his injury) for about nineteen months and Owens went directly to Winter Ball after his 2006 season. I really don't want to see the Jesus Delgado's (an example, just a name) in our minor league system flocking to winter ball so they come to camp with a dead arm as Pinto did. Ditto a number of guys on our 25 man roster.

 

I know Miggy and AA will be playing in their respective countries and maybe other position players but for goodness sake let these young arms have a break even if the players feel otherwise.

 

 

The reason so many of the players and pitchers go to winter ball is to make money. You can not raise a family on minor league salary.

 

BTW, well said about defense

Loria is not gonna spend any money.. Basically were gonna have the same team Minus probably Willis or Cabrera...

Untill this stadium thing gets done expect bad teams....

Last year was just guys overachiveing... this year if we would have had pitching it would have been a better team but still no playoffs...

 

We need a catcher..we need a 1B...major bullpen help....and Hermida needs to step up and be the player everybody thinks he can be for a full year...

 

And of course we need a healthy 5 starters....

I think the exact opposite. You have two legit MVP caliber players in Ramirez and Cabrera, and if you really think that they would let Cabrera go, then now is exactly the time, before free agency, to do something with him.

Last year they saw potential for good. This year the potential for bad. There's good reason to spend money.

Loria is not gonna spend any money.. Basically were gonna have the same team Minus probably Willis or Cabrera...

Untill this stadium thing gets done expect bad teams....

Last year was just guys overachiveing... this year if we would have had pitching it would have been a better team but still no playoffs...

 

We need a catcher..we need a 1B...major bullpen help....and Hermida needs to step up and be the player everybody thinks he can be for a full year...

 

And of course we need a healthy 5 starters....

I think the exact opposite. You have two legit MVP caliber players in Ramirez and Cabrera, and if you really think that they would let Cabrera go, then now is exactly the time, before free agency, to do something with him.

Last year they saw potential for good. This year the potential for bad. There's good reason to spend money.

 

Ummm....what?

 

Last year's team was a sweet-heart story, needed a centerfielder at the deadline...no money spent.

 

Same deal going into this season, no money spent to get that catcher or centerfielder we desperately need. If 2006 didn't get the front-office convinced to spend money on the '07 squad, this team sure as hell isn't helping out '08.

It's way too early to determine anything about next year, but at this point I'm only hopeful that they will be much improved....it can't possibly get much worse. Even if Loria doesn't spend more money I think they will be better because this year the injuries were a big part of the problem, and if we don't have to deal with that then they will be at least as good as the 2006 team, IMO. Hopefully they will get some help at catcher or centerfield though and could even be better. But at this point we really don't know - it's just too early.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.