Report: Posada, Yanks agree to deal

Ramp

Per. ESPN

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees and Jorge Posada agreed Monday night to a $52.4 million, four-year contract that keeps the catcher off the free-agent market.

Posada, a five-time All-Star who is 36, said Sunday he was "really close" to an agreement with the Yankees and his preference is to remain with the only major league team he's played for. A person familiar with the talks confirmed the deal to The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because the team didn't announce it.

The New York Daily News also reported on Monday night that the sides had reached an agreement.

New York also was trying to re-sign Mariano Rivera before Tuesday, when free agents could start talking money with all clubs.

Senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said earlier Monday that Rivera had already received an improved offer and that the team was hoping to get an answer on one of the two that night.

Steinbrenner said he believed Posada when he said he wanted to stay in New York.

"A lot of that now that the players and agents do, it's just spin," Steinbrenner said. "But the bottom line is I think he means it."

Rivera, an eight-time All-Star, was in the Dominican Republic on Monday. Rivera, who turns 38 on Nov. 29, said Monday if he couldn't reach a deal with New York, he would consider following manager Joe Torre to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The closer is expected to receive a three-year contract.

"The Yankees are my first option," he said in Santo Domingo. "But if that is not possible, there is Joe with the Dodgers."

General manager Brian Cashman said re-signing the pair are his top priorities right now.

Steinbrenner said the Yankees still were trying to gauge what the Florida Marlins might want in a trade for All-Star third baseman Miguel Cabrera, who is being made available.

"We got a couple ideas, what they might be asking for, and it's a lot," Steinbrenner said. "I don't know what's going to happen there, but there's still plenty of time on that."

It's also far too early to determine whether the Minnesota Twins will attempt to trade two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana, who can become a free agent after next season. Steinbrenner said the Yankees certainly would speak with the Twins if he becomes available.

"I think somebody would be foolish to say they have no interest in Santana," he said, "but it depends. It depends on what they're looking for."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

That's going to be an albatross.

An albatross? Based on what? He's a switch hitting catcher that can DH or play either corner infield position. I've never been a huge fan of Posada but you can't deny his production and/or value.

R  H   2B  3B  HR  RBI  TB  BB  SO  SB  CS  OBP  SLG  AVG 91 171 42  1   20  90   275 74  98  2   0 . 426 .543 .338

An albatross? Based on what? He's a switch hitting catcher that can DH or play either corner infield position. I've never been a huge fan of Posada but you can't deny his production and/or value.

R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG 91 171 42 1 20 90 275 74 98 2 0 . 426 .543 .338

Based on the fact that:

A) He sucks behind the plate

B) Pitchers don't like pitching to him

C) He's awful in the clutch

D) He's coming off a career-year hitting-wise that was highly reliant on an incredibly high BABIP

E) He is a .260 15 home run hitter who strikes out a ton

F) He's only going to get worse over the 3rd and 4th years of the deal

There were no other options for the Yankees to pursue, however, so the albatross was necessary and warranted.

I guess if it keeps Rivera in pinstripes and, in turn, Chamberlain out of the bullpen then it's passable...Maybe.

If Posada were to leave, Jeter would demand a trade

LOL.

R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG 91 171 42 1 20 90 275 74 98 2 0 . 426 .543 .338

He's a 36 year old catcher.

How is this a poor move? exactly what jrlexus said name someone out there that's a better option? the yankees have the cash to give a guy like posada 52 million... they're not stupid they know his production will decline and i'm sure that by the 3rd or 4th year of that contract they'll have someone waiting in the wings to take his place

36 year old catcher? yea well you might be right about that but i'd rather have his 36 year old bat in the lineup than Jose Molina's.

He showed little to no signs of slowing down on the offensive end this year either

not a bad move by any stretch