Doug Waechter

Is Waechter really any much better than Nolasco?

Answer: No.

Remember...we (a good % of us) were once calling for Nolasco to be in the rotation, when he was in the pen.

Last I checked, Nolasco was also awesome when he was in Waechter's role.

Fact is, whether it's Waechter, Nolasco, Miller, Badenhop, our starting pitching is going to be a problem this year (at least maybe till a guy like Mitre comes back, for example).

Waechter has never been a good starter...he'd still be with TB, if he would've been.

Being a long reliever, coming in, in situations with no pressure, is not the same as starting a game, with pressure, where your manager also wants you to go more innings.

It's just not.

...and Nolasco belongs in the rotation. If Miller and Badenhop are still in it, then so is Nolasco.

For what it's worth:

Olsen

Hendrickson

Nolasco

Badenhop

Waechter

...would be my rotation, for now.

Call up Joe Nelson.

This would give the guy that needs to go down (Miller), some more experience in the minors (which he needs...in AA).

And I'm with the "don't bring up Volstad now" people. I don't see us contending this year...I see us contending in 3 years though, when we have a new stadium, etc. So why not let Volstad continue developing in AA (what Miller should be doing, as well), and wait until at least late June, early July, and save a year of arbitration? (by then, we'll have a new stadium, and everything should be settled).

Remember...we (a good % of us) were once calling for Nolasco to be in the rotation, when he was in the pen.

Fact is, whether it's Waechter, Nolasco, Miller, Badenhop, our starting pitching is going to be a problem this year (at least maybe till a guy like Mitre comes back, for example).

Waechter has never been a good starter...he'd still be with TB, if he would've been.

Being a long reliever, coming in, in situations with no pressure, is not the same as starting a game, with pressure, where you're manager also wants you to go more innings.

It's just not.

...and Nolasco belongs in the rotation. If Miller and Badenhop are still in it, then so is Nolasco.

For what it's worth:

Olsen

Hendrickson

Nolasco

Badenhop

Waechter

...would be my rotation, for now.

Call up Joe Nelson.

This would give the guy that needs to go down (Miller), some more experience in the minors (which he needs...in AA).

And I'm for the "don't bring up Volstad now" people. I don't see us contending this year...I see us contending in 3 years though, when we have a new stadium, etc. So why not let Volstad continue developing in AA (what Miller should be doing, as well), and wait until at least late June, early July, and save a year of arbitration? (by then, we'll have a new stadium, and everything should be settled).

If Waechter joins the rotation and gets mashed, so be it. But you can't keep throwing Nolasco out there, expecting different results. Coming up, Waechter was a top 10 prospect. Maybe he's finally starting to live up to that potential. If not, he has no future with us anyways.

So...

Olsen

Hendrickson

Waechter

Badenhop

Nelson

Fixed.

Well Doug Waechter should have been the rotation and Miller in AA about 3 weeks ago.

And when Miller sucks again today, we will all rise in disgust again and demand Waechter in the rotation and it won't happen.

That's when the show me Joe Nelson chants will begin.

Well Doug Waechter should have been the rotation and Miller in AA about 3 weeks ago.

And when Miller sucks again today, we will all rise in disgust again and demand Waechter in the rotation and it won't happen.

I won't rise in disgust at all.... Quite frankly, at this point, I couldn't care less either way... This organization has a good history of developing prospects, so I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt

I know you said that you still think Waechter should be in the rotation, but as far as the Rays letting him go, it goes beyond that. Doug signed with the Marlins as a free agent. He pitched in '06 with a torn shoulder and then was released. He resigned in '07 and rehabed in the minors and actually pitched real well, but the Rays didn't bother to look at him any further. At 27 yrs old, I think we got a steal on him this winter signing him to a minor league deal. When he was pitching in '06, he wasn't hitting 90 with his fastball. Now he is back up to the mid 90's and keeping the ball low in the strike zone - which was always his problem. So I think he should at least get a few starts to see if he has the potential to be a long term fix to our rotation issues. If not, we have discovered he is very successful in long relief.

Really I dont want to screw anything up, so even without knowledge Im gonna say keep Waechter in the bullpen because he clearly has performed excellent there. Move Nolasco to the BP as soon as we get the latest SP activated, but until then Nolaso will have to work starting.

I know you said that you still think Waechter should be in the rotation, but as far as the Rays letting him go, it goes beyond that. Doug signed with the Marlins as a free agent. He pitched in '06 with a torn shoulder and then was released. He resigned in '07 and rehabed in the minors and actually pitched real well, but the Rays didn't bother to look at him any further. At 27 yrs old, I think we got a steal on him this winter signing him to a minor league deal. When he was pitching in '06, he wasn't hitting 90 with his fastball. Now he is back up to the mid 90's and keeping the ball low in the strike zone - which was always his problem. So I think he should at least get a few starts to see if he has the potential to be a long term fix to our rotation issues. If not, we have discovered he is very successful in long relief.

I understand that, but when healthy, he wasn't "the answer" to their problems, either. Maybe he was inexperienced, and maybe you guys are right. Heck, I'd like to see him in the rotation...but fact is, I'm not expecting much different.

As a matter of fact, right now, I'm just hoping Hendrickson continues his winning ways b/c he's never proven to be this good.

The former TB Rays we've gotten have done well, so far, now that I think about it. Hmmm...

I understand that, but when healthy, he wasn't "the answer" to their problems, either. Maybe he was inexperienced, and maybe you guys are right. Heck, I'd like to see him in the rotation...but fact is, I'm not expecting much different.

As a matter of fact, right now, I'm just hoping Hendrickson continues his winning ways b/c he's never proven to be this good.

The former TB Rays we've gotten have done well, so far, now that I think about it. Hmmm...

That is true. Chris Seddon has been a monster of the particularly vicious variety.

Chris Seddon hasn't pitched for us this year. :p