Miguel Cabrera misses the Marlins

This is a reminder that, despite the talent and the money, Miggy is still a kid. There have been too many references in the Herald lately to Miggy's immaturity. I think it's completely uncalled for. The guy is gone. Why taint what he brought to us?

...and that is why the media is always hated.

Seriously, then you wonder why not even ESPN covers us?

Heck, our own writers don't cover this team.

The surprise of MLB (2008 Marlins) thus far...you can talk about so much. Superstar SS Hanley Ramirez, a troubled pitcher turning into an ace, in Scott Olsen. Or about 1 of the best bullpens in the big leagues...BUT...NO.

Instead, I get to read this crap.

And it is crap b/c this idiot, to go along with every other writer down here, blasted this organization at the time of the trade.

...and now? Where is the bashing now? Nowhere to be found.

...and why? Because 1 month of baseball has been played?

Please, what a joke. Listen, we DO NEED MIGUEL CABRERA. EVERY TEAM would want a Miguel Cabrera type hitter in their lineup. The guy was a phenom with the bat, from his 1st AB in the majors, at the age of 20.

So not only do I not care about this, now that he plays for the Tigers, but at the same time, I STILL ROOT for Miguel Cabrera to do well. I still root for Dontrelle Willis to do well (although I knew Dontrelle was gonna suck in the AL).

Cabrera is on my fantasy team, and yes...he has struggled. 1 MONTH.

When will people realize that trades like this are not based on 1 MONTH? It takes a COUPLE OF YEARS to evaluate trades like these...not a month.

It'd be nice if baseball writers down here, actually wrote something useful.

The surprise of MLB (2008 Marlins) thus far...you can talk about so much. Superstar SS Hanley Ramirez, a troubled pitcher turning into an ace, in Scott Olsen. Or about 1 of the best bullpens in the big leagues...BUT...NO.

And it is crap b/c this idiot, to go along with every other writer down here, blasted this organization at the time of the trade.

Please, what a joke. Listen, we DO NEED MIGUEL CABRERA. EVERY TEAM would want a Miguel Cabrera type hitter in their lineup. The guy was a phenom with the bat, from his 1st AB in the majors, at the age of 20.

So not only do I not care about this, now that he plays for the Tigers, but at the same time, I STILL ROOT for Miguel Cabrera to do well. I still root for Dontrelle Willis to do well (although I knew Dontrelle was gonna suck in the AL).

When will people realize that trades like this are not based on 1 MONTH? It takes a COUPLE OF YEARS to evaluate trades like these...not a month.

Every team would like Miggie. Not every team needs him.(Not counting teams like Boston, who don't have a real place for him) We don't need Miggie because our needs aren't at the plate. They are at the mound and in the field. Would we like Miggie? Hell yeah. But don't confuse something that would upgrade one of our strengths for a "need".

Every team would like Miggie. Not every team needs him.(Not counting teams like Boston, who don't have a real place for him) We don't need Miggie because our needs aren't at the plate. They are at the mound and in the field. Would we like Miggie? Hell yeah. But don't confuse something that would upgrade one of our strengths for a "need".

I'm sorry about that...you're definitely not wrong there.

The point is, it just seems like an article putting Miggy down...and as you said, any team would want him in their lineup...

I'm sorry about that...you're definitely not wrong there.

The point is, it just seems like an article putting Miggy down...and as you said, any team would want him in their lineup...

I would change that to most AL teams. For all he can bring to a team, defense isn't one. The kid is still a DH waiting to happen.

When Miggy switched agents to SFX (and I don't blame him) it signaled the end of his time here. He took the $150 million was happy as a pig in sh*t (all you have to do is go back and read the archived Detroit newspapers). Unfortunately he fell back on the same bad habits we more or less ignored because we loved him so - eating himself out of shape - and in Detroit third base and over to first, getting booed regularly and playing for a last place team.

Every professional ballplayer will tell you it's a business first and these days his friends or an email or phone or video call away. I'm sure on one level he misses them but this is the bed he made. It's rather disingenuous to say the Marlins had the money when no one in their right mind knew they could make that kind of financial commitment going forward. There's probably less than a handful of teams in baseball that could, we all know their names. Maybe Miggy would have liked to stay here this year and next but while that may have kept his chummy club together a while longer where would that have left the Fish? With a couple of draft choices? Really.

Before someone crawls down my throat for the above, please note I still carry Miggy's pic as mine and quote him as well. He was in his time as a Marlin one the greatest young talents I ever saw. I have all the respect in the world for the man, the player, but let's be real here, I doubt he sought Dave Hyde out to do this story. Hyde has had to shut up as the Marlins play better and better baseball, only coming out from under his rock when a few games didn't go the Marlins way to start his mockery and flame-throwing, and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that another columnist without an axe to grind and better writing skills would have turned out a completely different story with the same time spent with our Miggy.

Now that they're 20-14 and leading the division the only thing Hyde can come up with is a pity party for Miguel Cabrera, who probably was never looking for one when he made the mistake of answering Dave Hyde's call.

As for Cantu and Cabrera this is just a snapshot, in the moment, not meant to equate two players who some might justifiably say don't belong together in the same sentence, but as of this morning Cabrera's line is .252/.342/.450 with six homeruns, 27 strikeouts and 59 total bases. Cantu is .280/.333/.480 with five homeruns, 28 strikeouts and 60 total bases. I don't know that's there's much difference in their production so far and at least Cantu is able to field his position (at least adequately) while Cabrera no longer could (less than adequately and moved to first).

We lost a superstar, a mythic figure, an icon but so far we haven't lost much at the plate if at all and looking at their respective defense in 2008 may have actually improved slightly.

It's a shame that Miggy was used like this by a columnist who has an axe to grind, it really is. Let's face it media scum like Hyde have no morality or pledge when it comes to truth-telling. Miggy was simply a pawn in Hyde's ongoing assault on the Marlins every chance he gets, the real reason for the piece and let's not forget that.

I think you got it exactly right