Arizona Fall League Day 4

Marlins Phenom

Raynor unless Amezega isn't resigned and Cody or Hermida are traded will not start next season. If anything he'll be the 5th OF on the bench getting PR and Defensive roles with a few starts a month.

But maybe fredi looks at his stats and Plays Raynor vs LHP every once in a while.

Raynor does have the talent but he has to show it in the Majors or he'll be another Hermida

OF Depth Chart Predictions

LF CF RF

Ross Maybin Hermida

Raynor Amezega Raynor

Raynor unless Amezega isn't resigned and Cody or Hermida are traded will not start next season. If anything he'll be the 5th OF on the bench getting PR and Defensive roles with a few starts a month.

But maybe fredi looks at his stats and Plays Raynor vs LHP every once in a while.

Raynor does have the talent but he has to show it in the Majors or he'll be another Hermida

LF CF RF

Ross Maybin Hermida

Raynor Amezega Raynor

Really? Raynor can start Left AND right field?

Wow, he is SOOOOOOO much more than a 5 tool player if he can do that.

But really, Raynor has proved to me more than enough that he deserves a CHANCE, just like any other minor leaguer. Hermida imo has run out of chances, and thus will be traded for a veteran 2nd baseman after Uggla is traded. just because it seems this FO is very eager to rid themselves of Uggz

LF CF RF

Ross Maybin Hermida

Raynor Amezega Raynor

But really, Raynor has proved to me more than enough that he deserves a CHANCE, just like any other minor leaguer. Hermida imo has run out of chances, and thus will be traded for a veteran 2nd baseman after Uggla is traded. just because it seems this FO is very eager to rid themselves of Uggz

Raynor's arm is probably too weak to play RF which is why he isn't a 5 tool guy.

LF CF RF

Ross Maybin Hermida

Raynor Amezega Raynor

Raynor's arm is probably too weak to play RF which is why he isn't a 5 tool guy.

Who said i wanted him in right? Of course Cody would be the better fit in right. I would love to see Raynor-Maybin-Ross in the outfield next year. To me it all depends on who puts up the best ST.

Make Hermida work for that starting job

LF CF RF

Ross Maybin Hermida

Raynor Amezega Raynor

Who said i wanted him in right? Of course Cody would be the better fit in right. I would love to see Raynor-Maybin-Ross in the outfield next year. To me it all depends on who puts up the best ST.

Make Hermida work for that starting job

I miss understood your statement. Didn't realize you were talking about MMP putting him in there twice.

Raynor is not a 5 tool player

Good defense, speed, can hit for power, can throw well and is a good hitter....Sounds like 5 tools player to me. Cousins and Raynor were described as 5 tools players when drafted in the 2005 draft by Beinfest if you want to disagree with Admin Beinfest that is your prerrogative. It makes no difference to me

Like I stated, Raynor has a weak arm and still has a bit to learn about taking good routes on D. That weak arm makes it hard for him to be considered a 5 tool guy.

LF CF RF

Ross Maybin Hermida

Raynor Amezega Raynor

Were not eager but there considering and Why would we need a veteran 2B when we have a guy named Chris Coghlan who can fill in just fine and he could be a great 2 hitter if he lowers the K Total

LF CF RF

Ross Maybin Hermida

Raynor Amezega Raynor

Were not eager but there considering and Why would we need a veteran 2B when we have a guy named Chris Coghlan who can fill in just fine and he could be a great 2 hitter if he lowers the K Total

because this teams biggest issue is errors, and Coughlen is a lot worse defensively than Coughlen. Coughlen is nice for speed, but they would love to find that reliable 2nd baseman to fill in and play a large amount of the games, or they would become a late inning defensive replacement for Coughlen

LF CF RF

Ross Maybin Hermida

Raynor Amezega Raynor

I dont think MP was saying that he would be playing two positions at the same time. I think he was saying that we can only have five outfielders, so one of the backups would have to be a backup for more than just one position.

I believe we would keep a reserve for all OF postitions. Meaning there would have to be 6 OF'ers. Include Andino there as a maybe

No team keeps 6 OFers. Noone has that luxury, most teams usually have at most 5 bench players, 4 if they rather have an extra pitcher. 1 catcher, 2 infielders, and 2 outfielders.

We it like this for most of the season:

Helms

Gonzo

Amezaga

Hoover/Rabelo/Baker

Andino/Lo Duca*

*We didn't have a 5th bench player from when we made room for Rhodes until we acquired Lo Duca.

We are probably going to end up like this:

Helms

Amezaga

Gaby Sanchez/Dallas McPherson

2nd Catcher

4th OF

There are mixed reports on Raynor's arm strength

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2006team.php?team=FLA

"One of the more interesting senior signs could be John Raynor, who has attracted the interest of scouts with his athleticism and gritty approach to the game. Drafted last year by the Orioles in the 12th round, he returned to UNC Wilmington for his senior season and likely improved his stock while nearly finishing work on his biology degree. A tough out at the college level, Raynor has plus speed, clocking 6.3 seconds in the 60 last year in the Coastal Plain League all-star game, and projects as a center fielder with good range. His routes on fly balls will need work, but he is a good baserunner who had swiped 40 bases in 44 attempts this spring. His arm strength rates above-average and is more than adequate for the middle garden. Raynor has a good, short stroke and his bat stays in the strike zone a long time, which allows him to consistently put the ball in play and use his legs to get on base. His power is a question mark, but Raynor is an excellent bunter with good overall strength and has shown the ability to make adjustments against all levels of competition."

http://www.baseball-analysis.com/article.php?articleid=7810

Proving It's For Real: "Last year, outfielder John Raynor won Sally League MVP honors with a .333/.429/.519 campaign, but he failed to show up on prospect lists due to his advanced age and his profile as a corner outfielder without power. Double-jumped to the Southern League this year, the 24-year-old Raynor is now a little more age-appropriate for his level, and he just keeps on hitting. Raynor is batting .311/.402/.492 at Double-A Carolina (and is 21-for-47 in his last 13 games) while continuing to draw walks, show solid gap power, and display skills on the basepaths by virtue of his 32 thefts in 38 attempts. For many scouts, he now projects as a solid everyday outfielder at this point, even in a corner."

No mention of arm streghth here

http://marlinsnation.com/tag/marlins-farm-system/

OF-John Raynor (Carolina, R/R)-24 years old

Another 2006 college draftee, Raynor put on a show in 2007, taking home league MVP and all-star honors in the South Atlantic League. Hitting .333/.429/.519 while stealing 54 bases will do that to you. You could make the argument that he was old for the level, and granted you would at least be partially right, but the performance was good enough for him to skip Jupiter completely and start out in Carolina. And while he has cooled off some, which is to be expected as the Southern League is arguably the most prospect-stacked league in minor league baseball, he is still performing with the bat(.289/.385/.440) and on the basepaths(20 SB/2 CS). The kid is a burner with a good arm and a good bat, and it wouldn?t shock me to see an appearance at Dolphin Stadium sooner rather than later

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/tag/john-raynor

2008 Review: Raynor is an intriguing top of the order hitter who hit .312 with 13 HR 51 RBI and a league-leading 104 runs and 48 SB. For the second straight season, Raynor's OBP exceeded .400 due to his ability to work counts and draw walks. Conversely, Raynor struck out 122 times this season as he often worked himself into pitchers counts and had trouble hitting offspeed pitches. Raynor has an athletic 6-2 185 lb. frame and game changing speed on the basepaths and in the outfield. While he has the range to play CF, he will likely be relegated to LF due to his subpar arm strength and the presence of uber-prospect Cameron Maybin.

Market Analysis: Raynor is unhearalded as a prospect partially due to his age (25 at the beginning of '09) as well as limited market exposure as a Marlins prospect. As a result, his first year offerings in the '08 Bowman Chrome Prospects set sell for 50-70 cents each and refractors (#'ed to 500) can be found for under $5. Keep your eyes peeled for the possibility of Bowman Sterling autos or Donruss Elite offerings. Raynor's future in Florida will depend upon what the club decides to do with Josh Willingham as well as the performance of fellow Meas Solar Sox teammate Scott Cousins. Ultimately, his blazing speed and moderate pop will play well in someone's lineup soon.

The only place I have seen where a negative is given to Raynor's arm

Good defense, speed, can hit for power, can throw well and is a good hitter....Sounds like 5 tools player to me. Cousins and Raynor were described as 5 tools players when drafted in the 2005 draft by Beinfest if you want to disagree with Admin Beinfest that is your prerrogative. It makes no difference to me

Raynor's arm is below average and he will not hit for power at the major league level. He's more of a gap to gap type hitter.

So he's a 3 tool player (and that's with him hitting for average, which the jury is still out on considering how old he is at this minor league level).

Raynor's arm is below average and he will not hit for power at the major league level. He's more of a gap to gap type hitter.

So he's a 3 tool player (and that's with him hitting for average, which the jury is still out on considering how old he is at this minor league level).

You don't read well do you?

BTW you can't just say it is because I say so...

Nevertheless Raynor will or wont start depending on the offseason moves.Who know we can realease hermida and cody for another OF like Ibanez or something and then raynor will be battling for a starting job. But the best outcome would probably be him either being the 4th OF in the Majors or starting back in AA until he is needed.

Think about it him and Coghlan weren't even called up in September so that probably means unless something big happens in the offseason they might not even be on the Opening Day roster next season