Giants "expected" to pursue Uggla

General managers with shopping lists already are making calls to the Marlins and Royals (14 arbitration-eligible players) about possible trades. San Francisco, desperate for a proven bat, is expected to pursue one-dimensional second baseman Dan Uggla. The Giants also may kick the tires on first baseman Paul Konerko of the White Sox and Derrek Lee of the Cubs, both of whom have full no-trade clauses. They probably would have to deal a young pitcher?Jonathan Sanchez or Matt Cain. They're considered expendable because lefty Madison Bumgarner is climbing fast. ?

...maybe we could talk them into taking Jacobs, too...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...0,3109300.story

Dude, if they offered Matt Cain for Dan Uggla, there's a deal you do in a HEART BEAT. I MEAN, RIGHT NOW. Our pitching staff would be SO INCREDIBLY AWESOME.

no way in hell the trade cain for uggla. I think they have already said that he untouchable.

Anyway im sure theres lots of teams who want uggla.

...maybe we could talk them into taking Jacobs, too...

They have a lot of 1B type players in their upper minors that deserve looks. Plus Sandoval. Not a good fit for Jacobs. Uggla is a good fit for them, and they have two amazing pitching prospects (Alderson, Bumgarner) to build packages around if Cain wouldn't work out.

no way in hell the trade cain for uggla. I think they have already said that he untouchable.

They almost traded Cain for Alex Rios last offseason. He is not untouchable. By mid 2010, they could easily have a Lincecum, Alderson, Bumgarner, Zito, and Sanchez rotation, without Cain. That is pretty damn good if that is the direction they want to go in longterm. He is expendable if they get an offensive piece they really like, and their best places to upgrade are the middle infield because they have good corner players coming up through their system.

Matt Cain would be a great addition to the rotation...I would definitely make this trade. His win-loss ration sucks but you can't argue his below 4 ERA and throwing over 200 innings the past two years...It's not his fault he plays on a crappy team. Put him on the Marlins and he could easily win 10-15 games.

They almost traded Cain for Alex Rios last offseason. He is not untouchable. By mid 2010, they could easily have a Lincecum, Alderson, Bumgarner, Zito, and Sanchez rotation, without Cain. That is pretty damn good if that is the direction they want to go in longterm. He is expendable if they get an offensive piece they really like, and their best places to upgrade are the middle infield because they have good corner players coming up through their system.

Just for uggla the give up Cain, I just dont see it. I mean they arent idiots they know pitching wins games and cain is good and has been durable too over the last 2 years.

Just for uggla the give up Cain, I just dont see it. I mean they arent idiots they know pitching wins games and cain is good and has been durable too over the last 2 years.

Cain is really nice and all, but he's expendable for the Giants... to be honest, we'd probably get Cain AND a nice little something prospect. Uggla has a ton of value and that can't be downplayed. So, that being said... I'm PWG and I approve of getting Cain.

You are selling Uggla a little short here. "just for uggla" hit twice as many HR last year as their team leader, and he did it from a middle infield slot. The Giants have hope with Posey, Villalona, Lewis, Sandoval, Schierholtz, etc, coming up, but they could really use a bashing 2B they'd have for years. I wouldn't trade Cain for Uggla either, but your name isn't Brian Sabean who will do things like that.

You are selling Uggla a little short here. "just for uggla" hit twice as many HR last year as their team leader, and he did it from a middle infield slot. The Giants have hope with Posey, Villalona, Lewis, Sandoval, Schierholtz, etc, coming up, but they could really use a bashing 2B they'd have for years. I wouldn't trade Cain for Uggla either, but your name isn't Brian Sabean who will do things like that.

This point cannot be discounted... Brian Sabean is one of the weaker GMs in the game. One thing to wonder though is how much of that was tied to being forced to build around Bonds. I think he still pretty much sucks, but it'll be interesting to see how he does with free reign over rebuilding.

The Marlins wont trade for Matt Cain because he begins arbitration next season.

Matt Cain is signed to a nice little contract that's something like 3ishM - 4ishM - 6ish... which leaves him open to be traded in that third year but for the first two years, that's great value, especially for us

Edit: Also to note Cain is signed at a very very nice 09:$2.65M, 10:$4.25M, 11:$6.25M club option for the next couple of years.

The Marlins wont trade for Matt Cain because he begins arbitration next season.

Matt Cain is signed to a nice little contract that's something like 3ishM - 4ishM - 6ish... which leaves him open to be traded in that third year but for the first two years, that's great value, especially for us

Edit: Also to note Cain is signed at a very very nice 09:$2.65M, 10:$4.25M, 11:$6.25M club option for the next couple of years.

The Marlins would rather go for someone newer (cheaper).Perhaps Clayton Tanner + lesser prospect for Uggla.