Some news from Clark Spencer.

MillerTime

Marlins Rumors: Max Ramirez, Pavano, Rhodes

By Tim Dierkes [November 5 at 9:59am CST]Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald has the latest on the Marlins.

• The Marlins have had informal talks with the Rangers regarding catcher Max Ramirez. The Fish are willing to trade lefty Scott Olsen, though the Rangers are wary of his makeup and home run tendencies. The Marlins are OK with their in-house options if they can't work out a trade. The Marlins aren't interested in Gerald Laird.
  • The Marlins may consider bringing Carl Pavano back to Florida, the site of his last success.
  • Luis Gonzalez, Mark Hendrickson, Paul Lo Duca, and Arthur Rhodes are the Marlins' free agents. Of the four, Rhodes stands a chance of being re-signed. However, the Marlins have not spoken to Rhodes' agent in weeks.
  • Juan C. Rodriguez reports that despite reports, the Marlins are not in on Junichi Tazawa.

By Tim Dierkes [November 5 at 9:59am CST]Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald has the latest on the Marlins.

• The Marlins have had informal talks with the Rangers regarding catcher Max Ramirez. The Fish are willing to trade lefty Scott Olsen, though the Rangers are wary of his makeup and home run tendencies. The Marlins are OK with their in-house options if they can't work out a trade. The Marlins aren't interested in Gerald Laird.
  • The Marlins may consider bringing Carl Pavano back to Florida, the site of his last success.
  • Luis Gonzalez, Mark Hendrickson, Paul Lo Duca, and Arthur Rhodes are the Marlins' free agents. Of the four, Rhodes stands a chance of being re-signed. However, the Marlins have not spoken to Rhodes' agent in weeks.
  • Juan C. Rodriguez reports that despite reports, the Marlins are not in on Junichi Tazawa.

I don't know about you guys, but I do not want Carl Pavano. He bruised his butt playing for the Yanks, got in car accidents, had tommy john surgery, left hip injury, broke some ribs... he's been injured since we traded the guy. He's a disaster.

I don't know about you guys, but I do not want Carl Pavano. He bruised his butt playing for the Yanks, got in car accidents, had tommy john surgery, left hip injury, broke some ribs... he's been injured since we traded the guy. He's a disaster.

It wouldn't hurt the Marlins at all though. They can only benefit from the situation.

It wouldn't hurt the Marlins at all though. They can only benefit from the situation.

Yeah, I just saw the responses on the Pavano thread, and in those scenarios it wouldn't be that bad. I was thinking like actually paying him a good amount as another option for our rotation... not so cool.

Exactly, buy low and sell high.

We didn't trade Carl Pavano. He signed as a free agent with the Yanks.

We didn't trade Carl Pavano. He signed as a free agent with the Yanks.

Yep. He went for the $$$ and the years. I don't blame him for that. As usual the Yanks overspent for him. One decent year for us and one good year for us. Everyone was scratching their heads on that signing. The injuries were unforseen, but did highlite a poor FO decision for the Yanks.

I would welcome him back under the right circumstances. And he just may be willing to take the route of other players that we signed to 1 year deals. Come here just to show they can stay healthy and contribute for one year, then move on if they can accomplish that. He would be a one year player...we don't sign pitchers to long term deals. And especially ones that will be 33 by Opening Day.

Other than guys who gave been caught doing drugs, he has to be one of the biggest screw-ups, ever. He's nothing but a Brian Moehler-type, marginal #5 starter who got EXTREMELY lucky in a tight free agent market. He's a joke.

I mean, c'mon. Who gives a 1.35 WHIP/4+ ERA pitcher $40 million for 4 years? Only the Yankees can afford such idiocy. Who in their right mind doesn't just release him when he outright LIES to you about his own actions and physical status?

No, thanks. Not that many ballplayers aren't a little nuts, but this clown has evinced many signs of being way off the mental health reservation for many years. I wouldn't sign him if he wanted to pay the club to play.