Help with Depression

Michael

(Gonna keep this short)

So, with all sorts of stuff that's been going on since July with family matters and people I thought were my friends, plus some other stuff, I've slowly spiraled into depression. I've never been at this stage before in my life and honestly I hate it. I've got so much stress right now, it's affecting the amount of sleep I get and my grades. Music has been a huge escape for me but that can only do so much. I have talked to some friends about it but they honestly haven't been too much help. I hate having to say that but it's true.

I am reaching out to you guys for help on this situation, if anyone has any advice I'd be open to anything and everything. I need guidance back to happiness.

- Mike

Forget your non-friends, and move on with your life.

Yeah, it's a bit more than them....

I don't know what to say. :|

I've never really been depressed, even when things begin to go wrong. I've always been overconfident, so I always tell myself that I can overcome anything...and I just start feeling better.

For your sake, I hope everything turns out well.

Just what makes that little old ant

Think he'll move that rubber tree plant?

Anyone knows an ant, cant

Move a rubber tree plant

But hes got high hopes, hes got high hopes

Hes got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin' low

stead of lettin' go

Just remember that ant

Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

If you're at all religious, you might consider getting more involved in your local congregation.

Don't spend too much time hanging out around the house. Try to live your life to the fullest. Do some new fun stuff with your good friends, and don't think about the fact that you're feeling low.

If there is some new challenge you have been thinking about taking on, go for it. Maybe start learning a new language or something, or starting an exercise regimen.

Good luck!

If you're at all religious, you might consider getting more involved in your local congregation.

Don't spend too much time hanging out around the house. Try to live your life to the fullest. Do some new fun stuff with your good friends, and don't think about the fact that you're feeling low.

If there is some new challenge you have been thinking about taking on, go for it. Maybe start learning a new language or something, or starting an exercise regimen.

Good luck!

Actually I'm going to two different churches (one on Wednesdays and one on Sundays) so that's not a problem there.

With (good) friends, I'll definitely be open to some new stuff (minus drugs and such).

New challenge.... Track.. heh I'll be trying out for the track team this year.

Thanks Dodge :)

First of all, evryone goes through rough spots in their life and part of growing as a person is learning how to deal with it. I'm a firm believer in "That which does not break you, makes you stronger."

On the other hand, what they call major depression is a real disease that has reproducible symptoms like inability to concentrate, lack of motivation, appetite disturbance, sleep disorders (insomnia or the opposite), feelings of hopelessness, lack of self worth, etc. . If any of these things sound familiar I would get some professional help from either your family doctor or a mental health professional.

There are very effective medications that can help you deal with the physical/neurological manifestations of the depression until things start to settle down in your life. Counselling and/or medication aren't necessarily going to make your problems go away but they will help you deal with things. It will help you break the downward cycle of negative thinking and help you get back some focus and perspective so that you can get through the rough spot.

Hang in there.

Sometimes it helps to prioritize things.

And, don't beat up on yourself over little things. There are the things which we can change and there are the things which we cannot. I know that feeling of being overwhelmed. It helped me to step back and assess what I needed to take care of immediately, what needed tending soon and what could wait longer than that.

If you bite off smaller chunks, it doesn't seem like so much.

Another thing which might help is getting yourself into a relaxing routine at bedtime. I know it might sound silly, but so often we replay the day's incidents in our heads just before going to sleep, which can cause lots of anxiety over what happened, what we should have/could have done, etc... Read a book - take a warm bath - watch a favorite comedy show - play a video game - anything but reliving the day's events.

If you're in school, perhaps there are trust counselors who can help you. There are also social agencies that are there to help as well. What about the family physician?

Don't deny yourself these services. I'd rather you take advantage of them than sink deeper into depression.

Try to avoid caffeine - it only exacerbates the situation.

Good luck and please- keep talking to us.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.