Brett Carroll

HawkFan

With the focus of the front office on speed and defense, I'm just wondering where Brett fits in, if at all, in the outfield picture. While he's certainly had injury troubles and hasn't hit well in his 100 or so AB's, but he certainly has the arm to play RF at DS.

I say bench, trade or minors.

Why wouldn't they consider him a 4th OF'er?

baker

backup catcher

g. sanchez

uggla

bonifacio

amezaga

andino

hanley

cantu

helms

mcpherson

ross

maybin

hermida

That is 14 players, 1 to many already. Amezaga is an easy DFA, or EB in AAA and Andino as the 25th man, but there is no room for a 4th OF with the current alignment. We need to trade a corner infielder and replace them with a left handed 1B/LF.

But let's be honest here, it's basically a symbolic DFA because who is giving us anything for Amezaga if we were to trade him? Mid 600 OPS and some defense in utility role, when you can probably find someone similar to do this? Amezaga was a DFA claim for us in the first place. I guess these guys have some value, Clev just did resign their utility guy for like $ 3 million, but these aren't guys you trade anything of value for. Amezaga completes no team. I'd be shocked if we got anything resembling a prospect.

And I don't want to DFA Andino either, and that's probably shared between me, you, and maybe someone else, but it just looks like that is what is going to happen if EB beats him out in the spring.

But let's be honest here, it's basically a symbolic DFA because who is giving us anything for Amezaga if we were to trade him? Mid 600 OPS and some defense in utility role, when you can probably find someone similar to do this? Amezaga was a DFA claim for us in the first place. I guess these guys have some value, Clev just did resign their utility guy for like $ 3 million, but these aren't guys you trade anything of value for. Amezaga completes no team. I'd be shocked if we got anything resembling a prospect.

And I don't want to DFA Andino either, and that's probably shared between me, you, and maybe someone else, but it just looks like that is what is going to happen if EB beats him out in the spring.

Hasn't it been said that half the league each of the last few years has inquired about Amezega at one point or another? He's probably the most valuable utility guy in the game, and believe it or not that role is pretty damn valuable. We could probably get something for him.

And I doubt Andino is DFA'd. If him and Bonifacio are looking for the same role, I see Andino in the majors and Bonifacio looking at triple-A until Uggla is moved (whether that's July or November '09 remains to be seen).

With the focus of the front office on speed and defense, I'm just wondering where Brett fits in, if at all, in the outfield picture. While he's certainly had injury troubles and hasn't hit well in his 100 or so AB's, but he certainly has the arm to play RF at DS.

He has the arm to play on the warning track in the bermuda triangle. It's epic.

Hasn't it been said that half the league each of the last few years has inquired about Amezega at one point or another? He's probably the most valuable utility guy in the game, and believe it or not that role is pretty damn valuable. We could probably get something for him.

And I doubt Andino is DFA'd. If him and Bonifacio are looking for the same role, I see Andino in the majors and Bonifacio looking at triple-A until Uggla is moved (whether that's July or November '09 remains to be seen).

Interest doesn't mean value. And before this year, he was $400,000 not something like $1.75. We could get something, but he isn't a trading piece. I'd be shocked if we got anything.

Interest doesn't mean value. And before this year, he was $400,000 not something like $1.75. We could get something, but he isn't a trading piece. I'd be shocked if we got anything.

Interest doesn't mean value unless you get a bidding war going...

Bidding war over Amezaga!

Are you serious?

Bidding war over Amezaga!

Are you serious?

I doubt it'd be for anything substantial, but when half the league looks into a player... He's worth something.

...and the speed. He's off to a fast start in the DWL but not enough at bats yet to be meaningful.

I thought I read he was injured. Broken wrist because of HBP. Raynor also injured HBP, broken hand. Did I misread or was that a bad report?

...and the speed. He's off to a fast start in the DWL but not enough at bats yet to be meaningful.

I thought I read he was injured. Broken wrist because of HBP. Raynor also injured HBP, broken hand. Did I misread or was that a bad report?

You know Bob you could be right. I saw nine at bats and three hits and assumed he just joined the team, but it could have the opposite.

I'll check if I have a chance today.

Man, if that's the case, the guy just can't catch a, er, break.

As usual right again Bob.

Carroll was hit with a pitch which resulted in a broken wrist early in DWL season.

As usual right again Bob.

Carroll was hit with a pitch which resulted in a broken wrist early in DWL season.

LOL Don't know if some would agree with that, but thanks for taking the time to look it up.

The team must have really wanted to see these two OFers show some progress this off season. With the Carroll call ups and the FO talk on Raynor, you would have to think they think these two are at or very near ML ready. I would think it has some consequence on trades now. For instance, from what I have heard the front office was pretty equally split on trading Hermida. These injuries could mean they are more willing to give him another year just for the experience in the OF. Or at least until they see what Carroll and Raynor can do during ST and the first couple months of the regular season. Also, Jeremy has got to be feeling the pressure level climb. How will he react to it? It's going to be interesting. In house competition is a good thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.