Some love for Chris Coghlan from Yahoo!

Valyekrin

Coghlan’s adaptability makes him top NL rookie

By Tim Brown, Yahoo! Sports

So, you get to the big leagues before you’re 24, immediately after batting .344 in your only month in Triple-A, fewer than three years after being drafted off the campus at Ole Miss.

You get a couple hits in your debut, and while the first month is a little rough, your club – the Florida Marlins – is patient, and sure enough you hit .294 in your second month.

An infielder your whole life, you get assigned to left field and merely confirm your outstanding athletic ability. Then you bat leadoff, something else you’ve never done but give it a try, and before long your on-base percentage from there is almost .400.

And then your first personalized set of bats from Louisville Slugger arrives, six of the most beautiful slabs of ash you’ve ever seen. And there’s your name on the barrel – CHRIS COGHLAN(notes) – just like you belong, and life is so good you can barely stand it.

LOS ANGELES DODGERS.

Coghlan laughs.

“It’s humbling,� he says, “to say the least.�

Well, what are you going to do? You set the bat company straight and you run through those bats, save one just for the novelty of it, and just in time another box of bats arrives.

You tear it open.

CHRIS COGHLAN

Beautiful.

LOS ANGELES DODGERS

Seriously.

So, you do what a rookie does. You keep your head down and keep swinging whatever they send you, and on July 24 you get called upon to pinch-hit at Dodger Stadium in the eighth inning and you jolt a home run using your very own personalized Dodgers bat.

Coghlan thinks in hindsight he’ll have to get those bats squared away or, perhaps easier, surrender and become a Dodger.

“One of the two,� he says, laughing.

Meantime, he’ll stick with the Marlins and help push them into the final weeks of a season in which he is a surprise Rookie of the Year candidate (and frontrunner) and, partly as a result, they remain surprise contenders.

Coghlan not only stands with and above his fellow rookies – batting .305 with nine home runs and 40 RBIs – but has the most hits (63) and the best batting average in the game (.394) since Aug. 1, or about the time Nick Johnson(notes) arrived in a trade from Washington. You could say Coghlan, a left-handed hitter and on-base hound like Johnson, took to his new teammate.

“He’s a guy I’d like to be one day as a hitter,� Coghlan said. “He’s patient, he hits the ball all over the park. He’s also seen guys I haven’t, so he helps that. I don’t know if it was me getting hot because of him, but I will say he’s helped me out a bunch. They do seem to overlap.�

Raised in Maryland (he wears Cal Ripken Jr.’s No. 8) and Florida (he played high school ball with Marlins’ director of player personnel Dan Jennings’ son), Coghlan plays with an edge and relentlessness the Marlins adore. He became a good left fielder. His .391 on-base percentage is best among regular National League leadoff hitters. And they’ve won a lot of games with him chipping in from both places.

For that, he is the NL Rookie of the Year.

“I really don’t think about it,� he said. “I mean, I know it’s a possibility. But, that’s not my concern, not something I dwell on. The thing I’ve enjoyed most is our season as a team. People keep counting us out and we come together and persevere and we’re back in the picture. It’s exciting. That’s why I play the game.�

Check out the rest of the article here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Apt96y9uiJSv1LkQ_WeTJXI5nYcB?slug=ti-coghlan091109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

LOL, I really can't believe that he got boxes of personalized Chris Couglan Dodgers Bats!

I read or heard someone else on the team used one of those bats because Chris was getting "lucky" with them. Kinda funny, actually.

Good to see he is getting some serious press lately. He may actually win this thing. Gotta have another good month. And it sure wouldn't hurt if the team kept in the race, at least until the last week or so.

I have never liked a pitcher winning ROY. It should go to a position player, IMO. Stood by that concept through a hail storm of insults thrown at me when DTrain won it. And now that we have a position player vieing with a pitcher some are using that? Those that do the actual voting see things differently. I can see Happ winning it. Unless Chris has one heck of a Sept.

I have never liked a pitcher winning ROY. It should go to a position player, IMO. Stood by that concept through a hail storm of insults thrown at me when DTrain won it. And now that we have a position player vieing with a pitcher some are using that? Those that do the actual voting see things differently. I can see Happ winning it. Unless Chris has one heck of a Sept.

Why not?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.