April 7, 201016 yr On Monday, Marlins left fielder Chris Coghlan went 1-for-4, stole a base and scored Florida's only run against Johan Santana, a pretty good start to the sophomore season of last season's National League Rookie of the Year. And before he did that, he talked to me for the latest installment of the Nine Innings interview series... 1. If you could trade places for one day with anyone in baseball, who would it be? Chris Coghlan: Nobody. I feel too blessed. Touching Base: I had a feeling you might say that from following you on Twitter. CC: Yeah, that’s my answer. I don’t have - I feel too blessed. There’s nobody I’d feel that I’d need to switch with. TB: Nobody that you’d like to see - have the experience of throwing a 95 mile-an-hour fastball or anything like that. CC: No, I can’t give you one, I’m sorry. That’s my answer. 2. What’s your favorite piece of baseball equipment? CC: Your bat. My bat’s my favorite. There’s so many different models, so many different colors, so many different things. Every time you walk up, you want to feel comfortable with one - you pick that one that’s got the best grains on it, it’s got - good wood, straight grains. I love smelling it. TB: Smelling it? CC: Yeah, especially ash. The wood - I like that smell of the wood, fresh piece of lumber. TB: You smell the hits in there? CC: Yeah, that’s what I tell myself at least. 3. I know that you were a rookie last year, but have you had a chance to play as yourself in a video game? CC: I have not. I haven’t played any of the new video games that are out. It would be cool. I just, I’m not the biggest video game guy. But there will be some time where I’ll just sit down, maybe with my little step-brother - he’s probably got the game, so I’ll play it with him. 4. Who’s an athlete in another sport that you’d like to see try his hand at baseball? CC: I’d like to see probably LeBron James play baseball. He’s so gifted, so physically talented - I’d love to see him try to hit a ball. He seems like he could probably play the field. Obviously there would be a learning curve, but he’s an unbelievable athlete, so it would be fun to see him play. 5. What’s your favorite baseball movie? CC: For Love of the Game. I’m a sucker for something romantic - a romantic story, and then obviously baseball being my favorite sport, it’s pretty cool to see. I like Kevin Costner, too. 6. Any expert travel advice? CC: Pack lightly. You never know when you might lose luggage or stuff like that - it’s tough to keep up with all the luggage. So I always try to pack as light as possible. 7. Who was your favorite athlete growing up? CC: Cal Ripken. I was born in Maryland, so obviously Cal Ripken was a hero around there. That’s why I wear number 8, and I loved the way he went out there and played every single day. Two thousand something games in a row is unbelievable. You never know if that’s gonna get broken. That’s an unbelievable record, and I love how he brought that energy, that determination and focus every single day. 8. What would you say is the most important fundamental? CC: I don’t know if work ethic counts - would you count that as a fundamental? TB: Sure. CC: I’d say work ethic. TB: It’s up to you if you want to count it. CC: I’m gonna count it, because anytime I talk to kids or anything like that. Work ethic - this game, you have so many people, and you can have God-given abilities, and it’s unbelievable to see when somebody goes out there and puts it out there with work. You have to be disciplined, you have to go out there and do the work, you have to have the determination, the desire to work in this game. It’s not easy. So every single day, you have to go out there and do the work, because there’s always some other guy coming up that’s the next best thing, or somebody that’s always better. So you have to keep working, and can’t get complacent in what you’re doing. TB: Do you feel any pressure, based on what you did last year, coming up and winning Rookie of the Year? You know, I mean, a lot of people might say, “Who’s this guy? We didn’t even hear of him at the start of the season.� CC: I don’t feel pressure, just because nobody knew really who I was, it doesn’t mean that I was a bad baseball player and just had one good year. It’s definitely, for me, I just feel like I owe it to my teammates, I owe it to my coaches, I owe it to my parents - I owe it to Christ to go out there and use the abilities that He’s given me every single day, to the best of my ability. It has nothing to do with me, it has nothing to do with trying to break records or anything like that. It’s all about trying to get the best you can out of your ability for as long as you can. And I know that people in this clubhouse - it’s the same thing with going out there every day and playing hard, you owe that to them. That’s what I try to focus on, is being as prepared as I can each day, and with respect to the people who played it before me. TB: You mentioned Christ in there. He’s in your Twitter screen name (cogz4Christ). How does religion interact with baseball for you? CC: I think it’s a huge thing. It’s a lifestyle. It’s - I don’t look at it as religion. It’s a lifestyle, living every day for His glory, for Him. That’s how I feel. I know some people don’t like to hear that, and it’s a touchy subject anytime you talk about something like that, but that’s where my faith is, and what my life is about. This game is a great gift that He gave me to play - I love this game, and I love playing to win. I love competing. Christ gave me that. … It’s a fine line. There’s no doubt that when you ask a question like that, that requires it, I’m not going to shy away from answering it. But at the same time, if you ask me about how the game went, I’m not going to try to shove it down people’s throats. I’m just saying, when somebody asks me a question about my faith or my life, I’m going to answer truthfully and honestly. So, whenever it gets brought up, I’m not going to shy away from it - but I’m not going to try to put it down people’s throats. TB: Do you have a favorite passage? CC: Yeah, there’s a lot of them. I have Romans 8:28 on my glove. I want to go each year, every year and have a different one. The new one I’ve got is Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who saves me. Then, Romans 8:28 is we know that God causes all things good to those who love Him and are called according to his purpose. It’s tough to pick one. TB: The way that you talk about it, I think it’s interesting that different people find different ways to find inspiration, and that this is a way that it’s both close to your heart and your way of doing things. Is that a fair way to put it? CC: Yeah, I mean everybody has their faith in different things. Whenever a person stands for something, no matter what it is - if it’s baseball, life, your faith, no matter what it is - I respect, no matter what they stand for. If somebody says, “This is what I stand for,� I respect that. Now, are we all gonna agree in this clubhouse? Not everyone’s gonna agree where each person stands, but I respect that. I respect wherever they stand. I’m not going to try to force it on people to say you have to do it my way. I respect wherever somebody stands, just like I would like to think that people would respect where I stand, too. They don’t have to agree with it, just respect it. That’s what I think it’s about. 9. Complete this sentence: I am the only player in Major League Baseball… CC: Heh. I don’t feel any different than anybody. TB: There’s nothing that makes you unique? CC: No, I just feel middle of the pack. TB: Maybe you’re the only guy who’s dead-center middle then. CC: I don’t know. I don’t have a good one - I just want to fit in with everybody else.
April 7, 201016 yr 5. What’s your favorite baseball movie? CC: For Love of the Game. I’m a sucker for something romantic - a romantic story, and then obviously baseball being my favorite sport, it’s pretty cool to see. I like Kevin Costner, too. Ooooo yeah! Finally someone gave a shoutout to the movie! Nice one, Cogs. Thanks for the post! He sounds a little TOO humble, kind of extreme almost. Quickly becoming one of my favorites (I'm picky with mine).
April 7, 201016 yr Weird interview. In parts he sounds cool and legit (even the religion part), and in some parts he sounds weird and awkward.:mis2
April 7, 201016 yr I follow his twitter and it is obvious how religious he is. He really is a humble guy though and loves the game.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.