June 30, 201016 yr To be clear, Hample and the "Happy Youngster" are two different people with the same hobby and the same douchiness. The Happy Youngster is the guy who held Coghlan's HR ball ransom last season. I've seen him at Oriole Park more than once. I went to a Rays-Orioles series last year (or one of the previous two - I forget) and was sitting right behind the Rays dugout. Hample was sitting right across the aisle from me. He'd run down the stairs with his glove, weaving through little kids and reaching over the kids to catch the "third out" balls the Rays players were throwing into the stands in between innings. He was with his "girlfriend" this time. He brings shirts from both teams and wears them. I saw him with a Marlins shirt on Wednesday but the pictures in the link posted above show him wearing Orioles gear. And I had no idea he had gotten Cantu's home run ball. He claims that he gets money from his two books to support his hobby. Considering they are only niche hobby enthusiast books, I highly doubt that they bring in enough money to support his hobby. He also claims that he is "employed" by his parents, which pretty much says it all. I hate being so judgmental and I don't care what he does with his money/free time, but when he starts hindering everyone's enjoyment of the ballpark and the game, I think his conduct warrants open criticism.
June 30, 201016 yr It wasn't Mike's first home run. It wasn't the first home run in this series. So what makes anyone think this ball is worth anything more than just a baseball? I guess maybe being able to get Stanton to sign it (if they stick with our tradition with us being the home team), then hold onto it for years hoping Mike dosen't have a short career and actually lives up to his potential. Am I missing something? We aren't discussing the value of Stanton's home run ball or what the fan should do with it. We are discussing the merits of the Hample's conduct and ball-hawk hobby. The subject was only broached because Hample happened to catch it. Okay. Seeing you want to get all defensive again, further explanation. It was brought up he donates alot of the $$$ to charities. He traveled to PR to attend these games. Airfare, game tickets, hotel, food, etc.... Gotta be a bit expensive. Dosen't matter who is paying for it, still costs the same. So, once again, what kind of value would that ball have to make him jump up and down and doing some kind of dance? BTW People get excited when they accomplish a hobby, if that is all this is. Nothing wrong there. Personally, I give balls away to kids around us that I catch. But I see plenty of Marlins fans doing exactly what is described here on balls just tossed into the stands between innings. And some I am quite sure mommy and daddy bought their tickets, gas $$$, and food $$$. I don't care what jersey he wears to get balls. I don't care who pays for his hobby, mainly because I don't know the true circumstances surrounding it. It's not something I would do and I think the guy is pretty much a jerk for the way he handles himself. But I feel the same way about the Marlins fans that jockey themselves into position to take a ball away from kids at Joe Robbie. Did I fill in the blanks enough?
June 30, 201016 yr Im sorry im posting this so far from the original statement made above, but i didnt realize Coghlan had to go through all that just for his ball. Everything about the story seemed wrong after listening to many Coghlan interviews and hearing how he is in public. Im in Law Enforcement and that guy should get his head checkd. Makes me think what hes doing to get his way in his job. I would expect a guy that is serving in a position of that kind to have a little more respect, I would have been thrilled to death just to get an autographed ball or bat and possible gain a little respect from a Major League player in being a part of one of his big moments. The the dang cost of living must be hell of a lot higher then it is in North Carolina than Milwaukee because i can only dream making 50,000 as an LEO. I dont want to turn this into a Cop bashing thread, but i thought i should just include my imput in that as a Law Enforcement officer. PS> I just want to add that I dont know if i could live with my self if i didnt give the ball to a little kid around me. That's a bit of a different story. But I couldn't agree with ya any more. Heck, most times I try to stay out of the way when there is swarm of kiddies around me. And alot of times there are when the between innings warm up balls come flying. It's part of the entertainment to watch a kiddie celebrate catching one. But if you can live comfortably in North Carolina for under $50K, I'm moving. LOL
June 30, 201016 yr To be clear, Hample and the "Happy Youngster" are two different people with the same hobby and the same douchiness. The Happy Youngster is the guy who held Coghlan's HR ball ransom last season. I've seen him at Oriole Park more than once. I went to a Rays-Orioles series last year (or one of the previous two - I forget) and was sitting right behind the Rays dugout. Hample was sitting right across the aisle from me. He'd run down the stairs with his glove, weaving through little kids and reaching over the kids to catch the "third out" balls the Rays players were throwing into the stands in between innings. He was with his "girlfriend" this time. He brings shirts from both teams and wears them. I saw him with a Marlins shirt on Wednesday but the pictures in the link posted above show him wearing Orioles gear. And I had no idea he had gotten Cantu's home run ball. He claims that he gets money from his two books to support his hobby. Considering they are only niche hobby enthusiast books, I highly doubt that they bring in enough money to support his hobby. He also claims that he is "employed" by his parents, which pretty much says it all. I hate being so judgmental and I don't care what he does with his money/free time, but when he starts hindering everyone's enjoyment of the ballpark and the game, I think his conduct warrants open criticism. Maybe he really is. Could be they are filthy rich and he is some kind of employee. Who really cares? I do know if he was trying this crap around me he would most likely catch an elbow or two. Very possibly he could even trip. Accidentally, of course. But then I'm not one to allow that type of bad behaviour and then do nothing but complain about it on some sports message board.
June 30, 201016 yr It wasn't Mike's first home run. It wasn't the first home run in this series. So what makes anyone think this ball is worth anything more than just a baseball? I guess maybe being able to get Stanton to sign it (if they stick with our tradition with us being the home team), then hold onto it for years hoping Mike dosen't have a short career and actually lives up to his potential. Am I missing something? We aren't discussing the value of Stanton's home run ball or what the fan should do with it. We are discussing the merits of the Hample's conduct and ball-hawk hobby. The subject was only broached because Hample happened to catch it. Okay. Seeing you want to get all defensive again, further explanation. It was brought up he donates alot of the $$$ to charities. He traveled to PR to attend these games. Airfare, game tickets, hotel, food, etc.... Gotta be a bit expensive. Dosen't matter who is paying for it, still costs the same. So, once again, what kind of value would that ball have to make him jump up and down and doing some kind of dance? BTW People get excited when they accomplish a hobby, if that is all this is. Nothing wrong there. Personally, I give balls away to kids around us that I catch. But I see plenty of Marlins fans doing exactly what is described here on balls just tossed into the stands between innings. And some I am quite sure mommy and daddy bought their tickets, gas $$$, and food $$$. I don't care what jersey he wears to get balls. I don't care who pays for his hobby, mainly because I don't know the true circumstances surrounding it. It's not something I would do and I think the guy is pretty much a jerk for the way he handles himself. But I feel the same way about the Marlins fans that jockey themselves into position to take a ball away from kids at Joe Robbie. Did I fill in the blanks enough? I don't think you get it. He doesn't donate the money to charity. That wasn't what the OP was talking about. He "raises" the money by having people pledge a couple of cents for each ball he gets. That's nice and all that he gets people to donate, but people want to be charitable are going to be charitable anyway. I don't think it really legitimizes his hobby. I would perhaps think differently if he would send every ball he acquires to the DR for the kids there to use, but supposedly he rarely gives his balls away. I don't think anyone is really saying that Marlins fans who steal balls from kids are any better. If you think they are jerks, well Hample travels the country just to do that. I don't see what your point is.
June 30, 201016 yr To be clear, Hample and the "Happy Youngster" are two different people with the same hobby and the same douchiness. The Happy Youngster is the guy who held Coghlan's HR ball ransom last season. I've seen him at Oriole Park more than once. I went to a Rays-Orioles series last year (or one of the previous two - I forget) and was sitting right behind the Rays dugout. Hample was sitting right across the aisle from me. He'd run down the stairs with his glove, weaving through little kids and reaching over the kids to catch the "third out" balls the Rays players were throwing into the stands in between innings. He was with his "girlfriend" this time. He brings shirts from both teams and wears them. I saw him with a Marlins shirt on Wednesday but the pictures in the link posted above show him wearing Orioles gear. And I had no idea he had gotten Cantu's home run ball. He claims that he gets money from his two books to support his hobby. Considering they are only niche hobby enthusiast books, I highly doubt that they bring in enough money to support his hobby. He also claims that he is "employed" by his parents, which pretty much says it all. I hate being so judgmental and I don't care what he does with his money/free time, but when he starts hindering everyone's enjoyment of the ballpark and the game, I think his conduct warrants open criticism. Maybe he really is. Could be they are filthy rich and he is some kind of employee. Who really cares? I do know if he was trying this crap around me he would most likely catch an elbow or two. Very possibly he could even trip. Accidentally, of course. But then I'm not one to allow that type of bad behaviour and then do nothing but complain about it on some sports message board. Yes, go ahead and take a shot at me for not physically assaulting someone at a baseball game. I'll assume you were joking, because this would be a new low for you. If anyone wants to see BroncoBob at work, I suggest reading the "closing the roof at hot nights" thread in the New Ballpark section. What a delight you are.
June 30, 201016 yr I am pro assaulting people at games. Guy that tries to start the wave during important parts of the game, I'm looking at you.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.