February 4, 201115 yr But Arenas is getting backup PT at $20 million a year. A back up getting extensive playing time. Gortat was playing for 10-15 minutes a game while Arenas is playing 25 minutes a game. Plus, we basically swapped Lewis's contract for his. AND Turkoglu's...
February 4, 201115 yr Author I think we will replace Gortat. Otis Smith has said he intends to do so. Ryan Anderson is plenty good off the bench. He's not asked to bang against the big men. Just do your job, which is to score. He's doing as good a job as Lewis was being the PF who can stretch the floor. Richardson is much better. I don't think we're overrating him at all. We got rid of bad contracts in Gortat and Lewis, too. You're really overrating Gortat. You complain about Arenas and his bad contract, but then mention Gortat as a valuable backup. He was being paid too much for his PT. Arenas at least gets the PT to bring energy off the bench. I don't know why you compared Pietrus and Clark, and I don't see how you can say Pietrus is much better than Clark when Clark is only in his second season. He has some pretty good potential. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he contributes more to us the Pietrus would have, this season or the future. We MAY have hurt ourselves long term, but we definitely got better. We need another big, but we're better. 1. What makes Richardson "much better?" Maybe someone with more knowledge on NBA sabermetrics or something can prove me wrong on this, but I don't see it. I think Richardson is the better player, but at the end of the day, it seems like a pretty even swap to me. 2. Gortat wasn't a bad contract. Maybe he wasn't as great a fit on the Magic, but he never was given enough minutes while in Orlando (in part because of Dwight Howard). I don't think he'd be scoring at the current rate he's scoring were it not for Steve Nash, but he was always an excellent rebounder/defender with the minutes he was given in Orlando. I don't think they got better. As a matter of fact, I think the current Orlando team is basically just a better version of the current Knicks team. 1. We don't need saber metrics to prove who's better. He may not be MUCH better like I said, but he's clearly better. 2. For us he was. He was a back up not getting much PT getting paid too much money. That is a bad contract for Orlando. Agree to disagree then. I don't think NY stands a chance against Orlando/Miami/Boston/Chicago, the top 4 teams in the East, imo. Even with the hot start Felton got off too, they're still a team 3 games above .500. 1. I never denied that he was better; you're the one who said he's "much better." There's a difference; he's really not "much better." At the end of the day, if that's the best thing you can say about the trade, it's not a very good trade. Those two are both role players, who are both expiring contracts. Richardson will probably not even be in Orlando past this year, anyway. 2. Perhaps that was Orlando's fault that he wasn't getting much PT. As I said, in the minutes he got, he always proved to be a very good rebounder/defender. They could've used Howard and Gortat on the court together more often, especially considering that the team doesn't really have a legit PF. Gortat has proven recently that he's athletic enough to play PF. I don't think NY stands a chance against Miami/Boston/Chicago either. I do, however, believe they could take the Magic to 6-7 games, before losing to Orlando. While the Knicks don't have anyone to stop Howard, the Magic don't seem to have enough bodies over the course of a game to stop Amar'e. And the Knicks can shoot/score with just about any team in the NBA; they just play no defense. Sounds an awful lot like the new version of the Magic, doesn't it? 1. I think it was a good trade. The team went on a 9 game winning streak after the trade. Before, we were flat and lost 4 in a row. The trade gave the team a shot in the arm. And, who are the two role players? Richardson and Carter? 2. The point is we weren't using him because we didn't have to. Dwight Howard is the best Center in the NBA. Lewis was making 18 million a season. Gortat cannot stretch the floor and Lewis can. No need for Gortat. No. They just don't. They don't stand a chance against ANY of the top 4. They have no one to stop Dwight, and Felton is starting to play like he used to. The Knicks aren't what you think they are. I would be shocked if the series went to 7 games, honestly. The Magic are a much better defensive team while having a good offense. The Knicks are just about offense.
February 4, 201115 yr Author But Arenas is getting backup PT at $20 million a year. A back up getting extensive playing time. Gortat was playing for 10-15 minutes a game while Arenas is playing 25 minutes a game. Plus, we basically swapped Lewis's contract for his. AND Turkoglu's... Gortat for Hedo. Lewis for Arenas. Pietrus for Clark. Carter for Richardson.
February 4, 201115 yr But Arenas is getting backup PT at $20 million a year. A back up getting extensive playing time. Gortat was playing for 10-15 minutes a game while Arenas is playing 25 minutes a game. Plus, we basically swapped Lewis's contract for his. AND Turkoglu's... Gortat for Hedo. Lewis for Arenas. Pietrus for Clark. Carter for Richardson. Ok. Gortat>Hedo Lewis>Arenas Pietrus>Clark Richardson>Carter Oh, and the Magic included a 1st round pick in the deal.
February 4, 201115 yr I think we will replace Gortat. Otis Smith has said he intends to do so. Ryan Anderson is plenty good off the bench. He's not asked to bang against the big men. Just do your job, which is to score. He's doing as good a job as Lewis was being the PF who can stretch the floor. Richardson is much better. I don't think we're overrating him at all. We got rid of bad contracts in Gortat and Lewis, too. You're really overrating Gortat. You complain about Arenas and his bad contract, but then mention Gortat as a valuable backup. He was being paid too much for his PT. Arenas at least gets the PT to bring energy off the bench. I don't know why you compared Pietrus and Clark, and I don't see how you can say Pietrus is much better than Clark when Clark is only in his second season. He has some pretty good potential. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he contributes more to us the Pietrus would have, this season or the future. We MAY have hurt ourselves long term, but we definitely got better. We need another big, but we're better. 1. What makes Richardson "much better?" Maybe someone with more knowledge on NBA sabermetrics or something can prove me wrong on this, but I don't see it. I think Richardson is the better player, but at the end of the day, it seems like a pretty even swap to me. 2. Gortat wasn't a bad contract. Maybe he wasn't as great a fit on the Magic, but he never was given enough minutes while in Orlando (in part because of Dwight Howard). I don't think he'd be scoring at the current rate he's scoring were it not for Steve Nash, but he was always an excellent rebounder/defender with the minutes he was given in Orlando. I don't think they got better. As a matter of fact, I think the current Orlando team is basically just a better version of the current Knicks team. 1. We don't need saber metrics to prove who's better. He may not be MUCH better like I said, but he's clearly better. 2. For us he was. He was a back up not getting much PT getting paid too much money. That is a bad contract for Orlando. Agree to disagree then. I don't think NY stands a chance against Orlando/Miami/Boston/Chicago, the top 4 teams in the East, imo. Even with the hot start Felton got off too, they're still a team 3 games above .500. 1. I never denied that he was better; you're the one who said he's "much better." There's a difference; he's really not "much better." At the end of the day, if that's the best thing you can say about the trade, it's not a very good trade. Those two are both role players, who are both expiring contracts. Richardson will probably not even be in Orlando past this year, anyway. 2. Perhaps that was Orlando's fault that he wasn't getting much PT. As I said, in the minutes he got, he always proved to be a very good rebounder/defender. They could've used Howard and Gortat on the court together more often, especially considering that the team doesn't really have a legit PF. Gortat has proven recently that he's athletic enough to play PF. I don't think NY stands a chance against Miami/Boston/Chicago either. I do, however, believe they could take the Magic to 6-7 games, before losing to Orlando. While the Knicks don't have anyone to stop Howard, the Magic don't seem to have enough bodies over the course of a game to stop Amar'e. And the Knicks can shoot/score with just about any team in the NBA; they just play no defense. Sounds an awful lot like the new version of the Magic, doesn't it? 1. I think it was a good trade. The team went on a 9 game winning streak after the trade. Before, we were flat and lost 4 in a row. The trade gave the team a shot in the arm. And, who are the two role players? Richardson and Carter? 2. The point is we weren't using him because we didn't have to. Dwight Howard is the best Center in the NBA. Lewis was making 18 million a season. Gortat cannot stretch the floor and Lewis can. No need for Gortat. No. They just don't. They don't stand a chance against ANY of the top 4. They have no one to stop Dwight, and Felton is starting to play like he used to. The Knicks aren't what you think they are. I would be shocked if the series went to 7 games, honestly. The Magic are a much better defensive team while having a good offense. The Knicks are just about offense. 1. The team's record after the trade is basically identical to their record before the trade, in almost as many games. You can't just include the 9 game winning streak, and ignore the 6-7 record over their last 13 games. 2. There's obviously a need for Gortat, considering Dwight Howard couldn't even take a rest in last night's game. Is Dwight gonna play 48 minutes every night now? Why can't Gortat stretch the floor? He's doing it in Phoenix...
February 4, 201115 yr Author But Arenas is getting backup PT at $20 million a year. A back up getting extensive playing time. Gortat was playing for 10-15 minutes a game while Arenas is playing 25 minutes a game. Plus, we basically swapped Lewis's contract for his. AND Turkoglu's... Gortat for Hedo. Lewis for Arenas. Pietrus for Clark. Carter for Richardson. Ok. Gortat>Hedo Lewis>Arenas Pietrus>Clark Richardson>Carter Oh, and the Magic included a 1stround pick in the deal. WOW. Gortat is NOT better than Hedo. That's very funny. Lewis is better than Arenas. However, Anderson is making us quickly forget about Lewis. Pietrus is better than Clark. Barely. And that's only because Clark is so young. Remember he was the 14th pick in the draft last year. I agree. A first round pick the really means nothing. This isn't the NFL.
February 4, 201115 yr Author 1. I'm not. You're ignoring the 9 game winning streak. That just proves this trade helps this team. Before that, we were flat and it was clear this team was headed downhill. Now, we're on the up again. The 9 game winning streak proved that. 2. For his money, he isn't. We can, and most likely will, find his replacement. I stated this but you ignored it. And do you even know what stretching the floor means? Gortat is not stretching the floor in Phoenix.
February 4, 201115 yr I don't think Lewis is better than Arenas. I know Arenas has been awful and playing hurt but atleast he fills a need. I thought Lewis was pretty worthless all around for Orlando The comparison should be Lewis to Turkoglu.. advantage Turkoglu, Carter to Richardson.. advantage Richardson.. and Arenas to Gortat.. Orlando must have felt more confident in Bass/Anderson compared to Nelson/Duhon.. Doesn't seem to paying off now but we'll see how it works out if Arenas or Bass can get healthy. One thing is for certain.. they have a lot of work to do with that roster. For a team that needs to lock up Howard, they have lots of money tied up for a few years. Won't be surprised to see him move on... Bulls will even trade you Noah for him next season
February 4, 201115 yr Author I agree with what you said, except for Arenas over Lewis. Arenas just can't shoot but takes to many shots. I love his passing game, and ability to drive, but he needs to stop shooting. The comparisons are spot on. Hedo is the play maker he was two years ago, and Richardson is more explosive and a better player than Carter. Now, all we need is a better Arenas and another back up for Dwight. I've heard he may go to LA. Don't know if that's true or not, but if he does, I have to laugh. First Shaq, then him.
February 4, 201115 yr WOW. Gortat is NOT better than Hedo. That's very funny. Lewis is better than Arenas. However, Anderson is making us quickly forget about Lewis. Pietrus is better than Clark. Barely. And that's only because Clark is so young. Remember he was the 14th pick in the draft last year. I agree. A first round pick the really means nothing. This isn't the NFL. Why isn't Gortat better than Hedo? If I'm starting a team today, I'm taking Gortat over Hedo Turkoglu. Better rebounder, better defender, younger, better contract, and now proving he can score in the right system. The guy is actually dominating over the last 3-4 games, and is a big reason why the Suns are 8-3 in their last 11 games. Clark is still young, but as of right now, he's barely even in the rotation. Also, what do you mean by "this isn't the NFL?" There are 2 rounds in the NBA, and if the right pick is made, the player picked can make an impact in the NBA the exact same year he is picked. Draft picks are extremely valuable in the NBA; probably moreso than in the NFL, considering NBA rosters only consists of 12 dressed players/only 5 players on the same court together. Getting one star in the draft can almost single-handedly turn an NBA franchise around.
February 4, 201115 yr 1. I'm not. You're ignoring the 9 game winning streak. That just proves this trade helps this team. Before that, we were flat and it was clear this team was headed downhill. Now, we're on the up again. The 9 game winning streak proved that. 2. For his money, he isn't. We can, and most likely will, find his replacement. I stated this but you ignored it. And do you even know what stretching the floor means? Gortat is not stretching the floor in Phoenix. 1. "Now, we're on the up again." No, you are not; the Magic are 6-7 over their last 13 games. That's more recent/"now" than the 9-game winning streak. 2. Gortat's not just a post-up player.
February 4, 201115 yr I agree with what you said, except for Arenas over Lewis. Arenas just can't shoot but takes to many shots. I love his passing game, and ability to drive, but he needs to stop shooting. The comparisons are spot on. Hedo is the play maker he was two years ago, and Richardson is more explosive and a better player than Carter. Now, all we need is a better Arenas and another back up for Dwight. I've heard he may go to LA. Don't know if that's true or not, but if he does, I have to laugh. First Shaq, then him. Hedo Turkoglu is the same player he was two years ago?
February 5, 201115 yr I don't think Lewis is better than Arenas. I know Arenas has been awful and playing hurt but atleast he fills a need. I thought Lewis was pretty worthless all around for Orlando The comparison should be Lewis to Turkoglu.. advantage Turkoglu, Carter to Richardson.. advantage Richardson.. and Arenas to Gortat.. Orlando must have felt more confident in Bass/Anderson compared to Nelson/Duhon.. Doesn't seem to paying off now but we'll see how it works out if Arenas or Bass can get healthy. One thing is for certain.. they have a lot of work to do with that roster. For a team that needs to lock up Howard, they have lots of money tied up for a few years. Won't be surprised to see him move on... Bulls will even trade you Noah for him next season D12 to OKC if the Magic don't win before his contract is up
February 5, 201115 yr But Arenas is getting backup PT at $20 million a year. A back up getting extensive playing time. Gortat was playing for 10-15 minutes a game while Arenas is playing 25 minutes a game. Plus, we basically swapped Lewis's contract for his. Arenas' contract is a year longer and hinders your ability to make strong moves in Dwight's walk year.
February 5, 201115 yr Author Why isn't Gortat better than Hedo? If I'm starting a team today, I'm taking Gortat over Hedo Turkoglu. Better rebounder, better defender, younger, better contract, and now proving he can score in the right system. The guy is actually dominating over the last 3-4 games, and is a big reason why the Suns are 8-3 in their last 11 games. Clark is still young, but as of right now, he's barely even in the rotation. Also, what do you mean by "this isn't the NFL?" There are 2 rounds in the NBA, and if the right pick is made, the player picked can make an impact in the NBA the exact same year he is picked. Draft picks are extremely valuable in the NBA; probably moreso than in the NFL, considering NBA rosters only consists of 12 dressed players/only 5 players on the same court together. Getting one star in the draft can almost single-handedly turn an NBA franchise around. Hedo fits our system better. He's a play maker in our system. Gortat was a player off the bench. He was nothing more than a good bench player playing 15 minutes a game. And while he is having success in Phoenix, he still isn't as good as you're making him out to be. Besides, he can thank Nash for all that. No, they are not. The NBA draft is worth nothing for teams like Orladno/Boston/LA. Basically elite teams. You only need 10 players on your team, and when you're picking that far down, it doesn't really mean anything. Sure, once in a while you get a Courtney Lee like pick, but not all the time. The NBA is a league where stars and good players are consistently on the move, so draft picks aren't really worth that much.
February 5, 201115 yr Author 1. I'm not. You're ignoring the 9 game winning streak. That just proves this trade helps this team. Before that, we were flat and it was clear this team was headed downhill. Now, we're on the up again. The 9 game winning streak proved that. 2. For his money, he isn't. We can, and most likely will, find his replacement. I stated this but you ignored it. And do you even know what stretching the floor means? Gortat is not stretching the floor in Phoenix. 1. "Now, we're on the up again." No, you are not; the Magic are 6-7 over their last 13 games. That's more recent/"now" than the 9-game winning streak. 2. Gortat's not just a post-up player. 1. Ok, so we had one great streak, and one average streak. Doesn't mean the trade was bad and we were better before. Before the trade, we lost SEVEN straight games. Since then, we've been 17-10. Improvement. 2. But he's not dangerous with his mid range game and cannot shoot the three.
February 5, 201115 yr Author I agree with what you said, except for Arenas over Lewis. Arenas just can't shoot but takes to many shots. I love his passing game, and ability to drive, but he needs to stop shooting. The comparisons are spot on. Hedo is the play maker he was two years ago, and Richardson is more explosive and a better player than Carter. Now, all we need is a better Arenas and another back up for Dwight. I've heard he may go to LA. Don't know if that's true or not, but if he does, I have to laugh. First Shaq, then him. Hedo Turkoglu is the same player he was two years ago? PLAYMAKER. Besides, why can't he be the same player he was two years ago?
February 5, 201115 yr 1. I'm not. You're ignoring the 9 game winning streak. That just proves this trade helps this team. Before that, we were flat and it was clear this team was headed downhill. Now, we're on the up again. The 9 game winning streak proved that. 2. For his money, he isn't. We can, and most likely will, find his replacement. I stated this but you ignored it. And do you even know what stretching the floor means? Gortat is not stretching the floor in Phoenix. 1. "Now, we're on the up again." No, you are not; the Magic are 6-7 over their last 13 games. That's more recent/"now" than the 9-game winning streak. 2. Gortat's not just a post-up player. 1. Ok, so we had one great streak, and one average streak. Doesn't mean the trade was bad and we were better before. Before the trade, we lost SEVEN straight games. Since then, we've been 17-10. Improvement. 2. But he's not dangerous with his mid range game and cannot shoot the three. 1. The record before the trade was nearly identical.
February 5, 201115 yr Author But Arenas is getting backup PT at $20 million a year. A back up getting extensive playing time. Gortat was playing for 10-15 minutes a game while Arenas is playing 25 minutes a game. Plus, we basically swapped Lewis's contract for his. Arenas' contract is a year longer and hinders your ability to make strong moves in Dwight's walk year. But he gives us a better chance to win than Gortat, imo. Gortat didn't effect the game enough because of his lack of playing time. And winning will help us re-sign Dwight. I'm sure if we win a ring by then, we can find a way to keep Dwight with Arenas on the team.
February 5, 201115 yr I agree with what you said, except for Arenas over Lewis. Arenas just can't shoot but takes to many shots. I love his passing game, and ability to drive, but he needs to stop shooting. The comparisons are spot on. Hedo is the play maker he was two years ago, and Richardson is more explosive and a better player than Carter. Now, all we need is a better Arenas and another back up for Dwight. I've heard he may go to LA. Don't know if that's true or not, but if he does, I have to laugh. First Shaq, then him. Hedo Turkoglu is the same player he was two years ago? PLAYMAKER. Besides, why can't he be the same player he was two years ago? I'm not saying it's impossible; I'm just saying that doesn't seem to be the case, at the moment. Hedo hasn't been the same player since he first left Orlando.
February 5, 201115 yr Author I agree with what you said, except for Arenas over Lewis. Arenas just can't shoot but takes to many shots. I love his passing game, and ability to drive, but he needs to stop shooting. The comparisons are spot on. Hedo is the play maker he was two years ago, and Richardson is more explosive and a better player than Carter. Now, all we need is a better Arenas and another back up for Dwight. I've heard he may go to LA. Don't know if that's true or not, but if he does, I have to laugh. First Shaq, then him. Hedo Turkoglu is the same player he was two years ago? PLAYMAKER. Besides, why can't he be the same player he was two years ago? I'm not saying it's impossible; I'm just saying that doesn't seem to be the case, at the moment. Hedo hasn't been the same player since he first left Orlando. Actually, looking at his stats, and watching him play, he is the same player. I just assumed he wasn't without even looking at it, but he has been good with Orlando and similar to his 08-09 years. PPG is down, but he isn't shooting as much.
February 5, 201115 yr Author 1. I'm not. You're ignoring the 9 game winning streak. That just proves this trade helps this team. Before that, we were flat and it was clear this team was headed downhill. Now, we're on the up again. The 9 game winning streak proved that. 2. For his money, he isn't. We can, and most likely will, find his replacement. I stated this but you ignored it. And do you even know what stretching the floor means? Gortat is not stretching the floor in Phoenix. 1. "Now, we're on the up again." No, you are not; the Magic are 6-7 over their last 13 games. That's more recent/"now" than the 9-game winning streak. 2. Gortat's not just a post-up player. 1. Ok, so we had one great streak, and one average streak. Doesn't mean the trade was bad and we were better before. Before the trade, we lost SEVEN straight games. Since then, we've been 17-10. Improvement. 2. But he's not dangerous with his mid range game and cannot shoot the three. 1. The record before the trade was nearly identical. We lost seven games in a row. Seven.
February 5, 201115 yr But Arenas is getting backup PT at $20 million a year. A back up getting extensive playing time. Gortat was playing for 10-15 minutes a game while Arenas is playing 25 minutes a game. Plus, we basically swapped Lewis's contract for his. Arenas' contract is a year longer and hinders your ability to make strong moves in Dwight's walk year. But he gives us a better chance to win than Gortat, imo. Gortat didn't effect the game enough because of his lack of playing time. And winning will help us re-sign Dwight. I'm sure if we win a ring by then, we can find a way to keep Dwight with Arenas on the team. Arenas isn't really doing much with the Magic. He's always been an overrated, one-dimensional scorer, but now he's not even shooting the ball well. It's going to be difficult to win a championship when your bigs are Dwight Howard and..........................well, Dwight Howard. The Celtics have like a thousand centers who can contain Howard, the Heat have enough bodies to use all their fouls and play Hack-A-Howard (considering he can't shoot free throws), and I also think the Bulls have a better team. You're right in saying that these moves were made to keep Dwight around; but really, I don't think that goal was accomplished. I don't even see this team reaching the conference finals this year.
February 5, 201115 yr 1. I'm not. You're ignoring the 9 game winning streak. That just proves this trade helps this team. Before that, we were flat and it was clear this team was headed downhill. Now, we're on the up again. The 9 game winning streak proved that. 2. For his money, he isn't. We can, and most likely will, find his replacement. I stated this but you ignored it. And do you even know what stretching the floor means? Gortat is not stretching the floor in Phoenix. 1. "Now, we're on the up again." No, you are not; the Magic are 6-7 over their last 13 games. That's more recent/"now" than the 9-game winning streak. 2. Gortat's not just a post-up player. 1. Ok, so we had one great streak, and one average streak. Doesn't mean the trade was bad and we were better before. Before the trade, we lost SEVEN straight games. Since then, we've been 17-10. Improvement. 2. But he's not dangerous with his mid range game and cannot shoot the three. 1. The record before the trade was nearly identical. We lost seven games in a row. Seven. And now you're 7-7 in your last 14 games with this group. Big deal. The overall record before the trade was made is nearly identical to the overall record after the trade was made. And the NBA regular season barely matters. For a team like the Magic that's a consistent contender, you build your team for the playoffs. Even if this current run n' gun version is a slightly better regular season team, I'm not sure how having one big guy and a bunch of perimeter players is going to work come playoff time.
February 5, 201115 yr Author But Arenas is getting backup PT at $20 million a year. A back up getting extensive playing time. Gortat was playing for 10-15 minutes a game while Arenas is playing 25 minutes a game. Plus, we basically swapped Lewis's contract for his. Arenas' contract is a year longer and hinders your ability to make strong moves in Dwight's walk year. But he gives us a better chance to win than Gortat, imo. Gortat didn't effect the game enough because of his lack of playing time. And winning will help us re-sign Dwight. I'm sure if we win a ring by then, we can find a way to keep Dwight with Arenas on the team. Arenas isn't really doing much with the Magic. He's always been an overrated, one-dimensional scorer, but now he's not even shooting the ball well. It's going to be difficult to win a championship when your bigs are Dwight Howard and..........................well, Dwight Howard. The Celtics have like a thousand centers who can contain Howard, the Heat have enough bodies to use all their fouls and play Hack-A-Howard (considering he can't shoot free throws), and I also think the Bulls have a better team. You're right in saying that these moves were made to keep Dwight around; but really, I don't think that goal was accomplished. I don't even see this team reaching the conference finals this year. More than Gortat. And he's better than Duhon. I keep saying this and you keep ignoring it. Otis Smith intends on adding another big man. He said so himself in an interview. But, why is adding another one so important? Most likely, the next big man we get will have the same role as Gortat, which doesn't effect the game that much. I think Bass/Howard is good enough to win a chip. Bass has a good jumpshot and attacks the rim. Plus, he's a hustle player who can rebound.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.