Something I'm worried about in the future.

Miracle Marlin

They will do what they can with what they have. They will make decisions and sign the players on who they believe is most valuable to the team. I don't think the Marlins will put themselves in that position again because there is better management, but I suppose it is still a business so it's hard to say, the payroll is higher so hopefully no more fire sales.

What fanofthefish said.

If the fans fill the stadium, management will spend money. Miami is a destination city for free agents. If we do our part as fans the FO will do their part and continue to bring in high quality free agents as well as keep our current talent intact. If attendance is how it was at Sun Life, it's back to bargain bin free agents and trading proven talent for prospects.

Totally up to us.

Its also very important what kind of TV deal the Marlins can negotiate in a couple years when the current deal is up. The explosion of money in baseball over the last 12 months with increasingly ridiculous contracts and valuations (Pujols, Dodgers sale, Votto extension) is mostly due to that. Decent attendance and a good TV deal and I don't see why we can't sustain a middle to top 1/3 payroll long term. That said we needed to sign Stanton last season. I wrote it last year and its even truer now than before, every day that goes by, Stanton becomes more expensive. If we wait until next year, I'm not sure we'll be able to afford him long term at all.

Its all very important what kind of TV deal the Marlins can negotiate in a couple years when the current deal is up. The explosion of money in baseball over the last 12 months with increasingly ridiculous contracts and valuations (Pujols, Dodgers sale, Votto extension) is mostly due to that. Decent attendance and a good TV deal and I don't see why we can't sustain a middle to top 1/3 payroll long term. That said we needed to sign Stanton last season. I wrote it last year and its even truer now than before, every day that goes by, Stanton becomes more expensive. If we wait until next year, I'm not sure we'll be able to afford him long term at all.

What you said about Stanton isn't completely accurate. I would explain but I'm on my phone and its been covered 100 times already.

I'm interested to know which part of my statement about Stanton you're referring to. I think we can all agree due to service time that he is getting more expensive and it seems that there has bee some pretty significant inflation in contracts over the last couple of months so another reason why he is more expensive now than last year. I assume yo're referring to where I say he may priced out completely. I agree its not likely and that the Marlins probably have the funds to sign him regardless but last year about 7 years /50-60 would have been fair according to marlinsLou and I had him at 6/50. We're already talking about significant amount of money so I hope they don't wait too long.

If management spends on making the team better, the team will win more, which will attract more fans to the stadium, which will mean more money for management to spend on improving the team, and so on and so forth.

So you think a good biz decision is spending more than you are making in the hopes of bringing more $$$ in?

I respectfully disagree. Attendance has always been the key as to what will be spent. The FO has said this over and over again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.