So, the local fan base is crummy

but the local politicos are far, far worse. You might even say vindictive, even though they approved the use of tourist funding 5 years ago. 5 YEARS AGO. They're obviously still scared of voter backlash over stupid government spending. Maybe for good reason -- it was stupid government spending. We love it as fans, but it was stupid. Even though locals pay nothing. But, they did it. And they can't get far enough away from it.

“I’ve never actually seen the Marlins play at Marlins stadium,’’ Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez said during a recent interview on sports-talk radio. “I just choose not to go.�

Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado said he has attended one Marlins game in two years, an outing with his grandchildren.

She [Rebeca Sosa, the current chair of the Miami-Dade County Commission] said she has yet to attend a game at Marlins Park, citing a busy schedule that leaves little time for a baseball outing.

If your name is Loria, don't expect any help at all from the local politicians. Gee, I would have sworn that they wanted the Marlins to stay in Miami. And found a way to do it. And voted to approve it.

Amazing. You approve the spending of a half-billion dollars on a baseball stadium, but you can't be bothered to go to a game. Or to say a single positive word about the Marlins. In 5 years.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/28/4024864/on-opening-day-miami-and-county.html

Politicians distancing themselves from an unpopular issue. I'm shocked.

You should be shocked. After 5 long years, these clowns still can't come out from under their rocks and offer even grudging support for their team? You know, the one they spent half a billion on? Somehow, they manage to do it elsewhere.

Even in Minnesota, where I'm from. They hammered the locals (unlike here) with sales taxes for Target Field. Imposed ONLY on Hennepin County transactions. The whole deal blatantly circumvented a specific legal requirement for a referendum (you know, an up or down vote) on any higher tax rate. It doesn't get any more local and obnoxious than that. They blew right through it and the locals are paying for Target Field. And yet the local politicos aren't the least bit afraid to support the Twins. They love their Twinkies and let everyone know it. Funny how nobody in the media said anything about that while they were trashing the Marlins.

No local pays a dime here. Unless you stay in a hotel.

Here? Still cowards. 5 years later. M-D county politicians are a joke.

This is really what it comes down to.

In Miami, it's popular to hate the Miami Marlins.

It really is. People take shots at the Marlins all the time, only to proclaim fandom when they're 'in' or winning. Then they'll fill up the first Opening Day at the new ballpark and leave a lot of real fans without tickets. I hate Miami fans.

You should be shocked. After 5 long years, these clowns still can't come out from under their rocks and offer even grudging support for their team? You know, the one they spent half a billion on? Somehow, they manage to do it elsewhere.

Even in Minnesota, where I'm from. They hammered the locals (unlike here) with sales taxes for Target Field. Imposed ONLY on Hennepin County transactions. The whole deal blatantly circumvented a specific legal requirement for a referendum (you know, an up or down vote) on any higher tax rate. It doesn't get any more local and obnoxious than that. They blew right through it and the locals are paying for Target Field. And yet the local politicos aren't the least bit afraid to support the Twins. They love their Twinkies and let everyone know it. Funny how nobody in the media said anything about that while they were trashing the Marlins.

The Twins are popular in Minnesota.

The Marlins are not popular in Miami. It's really that simple. There aren't many Marlins fans. If there were a lot of Marlins fans, like there are twins fans in Minnesota, politicians aren't going to hammer the local team.

Let's not forget, until it did become popular, not too long ago, Minnesota was one of the teams marked for contraction. To the point of the article, I too am disgusted with the attitude of the politicians who say " I won't go" as a matter of principle, principle from a politician. Fact is, these jerks know that any political matter, be it a stadium or an underwater tunnel, has opposition. You fight it, you support it or you oppose it, when it is over, you accept the process. The stadium is built, and it is beautiful-not even Braman can dispute that. Now, for the benefit of everyone in our community, support it and make it another destination in a major tourist community. If it succeeds it benefits everyone, the economy etc and the politicians can grin and soak up the applause. But this attitude, sort of like saying, "let's promote failure because we did not want it" is disgraceful.

Politicians will always take the easy stance. Being anti-Marlins is the easy, safe stance right now. Now, don't get me wrong, the Marlins have made it very easy for this to be the easy stance to take, but I just don't understand how publically bashing the team benefits the community. Regardless of how you felt about the stadium deal 5 years ago, it was built...it's not going away. What I would prefer from the Mayor and commissioners is to say "we may not have supported the deal then, but we are invested in this project and it is our duty to make sure the ballpark is a success."

It's a dead horse at this point. When the media brings it up, why not just say "we've moved on from that" and talk about how Jose Fernandez is a great role model for kids in Little Havana? It won't happen, but it would be nice if they even thought about taking the high road just once.

Politicians will always take the easy stance. Being anti-Marlins is the easy, safe stance right now. Now, don't get me wrong, the Marlins have made it very easy for this to be the easy stance to take, but I just don't understand how publically bashing the team benefits the community. Regardless of how you felt about the stadium deal 5 years ago, it was built...it's not going away. What I would prefer from the Mayor and commissioners is to say "we may not have supported the deal then, but we are invested in this project and it is our duty to make sure the ballpark is a success."

It's a dead horse at this point. When the media brings it up, why not just say "we've moved on from that" and talk about how Jose Fernandez is a great role model for kids in Little Havana? It won't happen, but it would be nice if they even thought about taking the high road just once.

Absolutely perfectly stated. Regalado and Giminez are in the perfect situation. They could still get the political capital for opposing the stadium but could also be credited with creating a positive environment for the S. Florida and Miami community. They do not have to support Loria, but support the business that represents Miami. They get a lot of positive everytime the team is on TV, with national exposure to the beautiful downtown, the port and the view of all of S. Florida. Yet, they are too dense in their grudge holding mentality to take advantage of it and can't see beyond their pigeon hole minds.

It is more likely that they believe their most important constituents or financial backers were opposed to the deal and would feel betrayed if they changed directions. Most politicians play to their constituents and financial backers above all else, including principles, when making decisions. Real leadership that calls for political courage is a rare commodity among politicians, especially in local government.

Most of the people involved in approving the stadium got voted out of office, so I'm not sure why you are surprised they are running away from this issue. It's not like there's a giant interest in the team anyway.

I'm an original Twins fan. As in I was 9 when they moved to MN in 1961. They played in Metropolitan Stadium, built for the minor league Minneapolis Millers. 22K capacity got bumped to 30K for the Twns. Chain-link outfield fences. Barely better than the better spring training parks today. Of course I thought it was fantastic at the time. These were the days of Killebrew, Pascual and Kaat.

These guys, unbelievably, got to the WS (in the days of 10-team leagues) in '65. Sound familiar?

Calvin Griffith was the a-hole owner, he had his own ideas about how to do things and ran it his way, sound familiar?

After 20 years at the Met, Calvin got the Hump-dome built (in conjunction with the Vikings) paid for (mostly) by guess what? A hotel bed tax. Sound familiar?

This is the same guy who used to have screaming matches with Joe Gir... uh, no, wait, that was Billy Martin. Sound familiar?

Calvin Griffith sold out 4 years later. Doesn't sound familiar yet, but we can hope.

Anyway, while the Twins have a much longer history, they were in fact, as has been mentioned due to be contracted. Building their next stadium (Target Field) at local taxpayer expense (80% or so) stopped that cold. I won't say "sound familiar" because the Marlins were never the subject of contraction and the stadium didn't cost the local taxpayers a dime, but, if it had come up in '08 or so, they would have been tops on the list to be chopped -- we had no stadium deal at that point.

Never once, in the entire history of the Twins did the local media savage them on a scale comparable to what has been done to the Marlins for years on end. Never once has any local politician said anything like "Oh, no, I can't be bothered to go see them" or anything remotely close to that.

That's the obvious major difference I see at this point.

This team sucks. The Twins had a very good decade in the '60's and were the new team in town. It was politically detrimental to say anything bad about a team that the whole city presumably loved.

All in all, the Twins have been a successful franchise. That hothead Loria-like owner they had in the 60's is tolerable because the team was actually successful. Unlike you, we can't say 'these were the days of Killebrew, Pascual and Kaat' but rather something like 'this was the season of Paul LoDuca and Carlos Delgado.'

Most of the people involved in approving the stadium got voted out of office

Only some, not all. In any case, that vote was 5 YEARS AGO. Time to stop hiding.

It's sad, but no one has the balls to point out that the stadium is paid for by TOURISTS, not locals. It's like the politicians are so freaking stupid that they bought the whole media "taxpayer" BS ("taxpayer" meaning "local" even though only implied and not in fact) -- lock, stock and barrel.

I'm sure it's not because they have some philosophical objection to taxpayer money, whether from locals or tourists -- they love every dollar they can get their hands on.

I'm also pretty sure their silence about reality is due to the fact that they think it's safe and de rigueur to trash Loria and the Marlins.

This team sucks. The Twins had a very good decade in the '60's and were the new team in town. It was politically detrimental to say anything bad about a team that the whole city presumably loved.

All in all, the Twins have been a successful franchise. That hothead Loria-like owner they had in the 60's is tolerable because the team was actually successful. Unlike you, we can't say 'these were the days of Killebrew, Pascual and Kaat' but rather something like 'this was the season of Paul LoDuca and Carlos Delgado.'

Successful generally overall, but in fits and starts, and they were an inch away from being contracted and totally dispensed with.

By '65 they were no longer the new guys in town. '65 was great, but they lost the WS. Koufax, of course.

They only needed to win one game of three against Boston in the final series of the year in '67 to win the pennant and they blew all three. I listened to those three damned games on the radio, there was no TV. Outside of making the playoffs in '69 and '70 and getting wiped out by the Orioles, '65 was their only WS appearance until their success in '87 and '91.

Play-offs since, but no WS wins or even appearances. Even though they have been crap a couple of times for a decade or more, never have the local media or politicos savaged and trashed them like the Marlins have experienced routinely.

Off topic, but the best moment I remember from any Twins game I was at was in '69 when Carew tried to steal home for the 8th time, to tie the record. Carew on 3B? You knew what would probably happen. Nobody tries that these days. Cloud of dust, but he was out. Second best was the game in '68 when Denny McLain pitched the back half of a double-header -- one of the 6 games he won against the Twins that year -- McLain threw 9 innings in every one of them. That was the year he won 31 games. He threw 336 innings. With a WHIP of .905. Guy was incredible. Who knew he was a gambler and embezzler and would wind up in prison? A truly wild and crazy guy.