May 6, 201412 yr Are you serious? Edit - now I think about it, he won't be in the closer's role, so ... why not? Yeah it was in a Marlins.com article about Capps getting a chance at the 8th inning role, at the end it mentions the Marlins are looking at all options for the bullpen including potentially Gregg. They did say we thought about picking up Joel Hanrahan. I wouldn't mind them trying a low risk free agent cuz we've got more bad than good in our pen right now and I don't know how many of our internal options can help immedietaly... I just dont see Kevin Gregg as low risk.
May 11, 201412 yr Author He's always been touted as a potential future closer. His stuff plays very well in the backend of a bullpen. If he throws strikes on a more consistent basis, he has the stuff to dominate. A fastball that can touch triple digits can't be taught. His slider is a + pitch, as well. As a reliever, that's all you need. His #'s in the big leagues last year weren't good, but that was mostly due to an inflated total of HR's allowed. His #'s in the minor leagues were rather dominant and more telling of how good his stuff is. Capps easily has the best stuff in the bullpen -- Cishek included. The difference is that Cishek knows how to pitch while Capps is still more of a thrower with inconsistent command. Capps has a lot of upside though and should get a shot considering that all of our other relievers have the same issues but with lesser stuff. I'd like to see Capps get an opportunity. He's already earned the opportunity with his four innings of work so far considering what the other guys in the pen have done. Seeing Capps now for the first time it feels like- I never watched him pitch, just watched the game overall. His pitches look scary- like darts with venom tips being thrown at 100MPH His walk to headley now looked as much self defense as patience, hopefully he fixed his arm slot issue and he becomes a great asset. He seems a little wild, but I'm sure that's not the norm.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.