Hechavarria's Game-Saving Catch

The hard part about baseball and most other sports is that the exact same play will never happen, so we'll never be able to see just how another player would react to the play. I am assuming that another SS makes the play with a little less effort, but what do I know, really? I just think that an elite defender needs the instincts to immediately make a move toward the ball without hesitation. Like in that gif above, how many balls have we seen go between Hech and McGehee? It isn't because Hech lacks talent or speed, it's because he probably takes his first step the wrong way, or hesitates before taking his first step at all.

Your last point is a valid one, Hech's speed DOES make up for his poor first step, but that's what separates him from the true elite defenders. Imagine if he had a great first step AND the speed we know he has. THEN he'd be the elite defender he has shown flashes of being.

If Adeiny's defense was as good as the marlins FO thought it was, I'd be pretty happy with his .661 ops right now.

Absolutely. There is tons of value in defense up the middle.

Player OFF DEF fWAR

Hech -8.3 -2.8 0.3

Simmons -10.7 13.3 1.8

Simmons is a fairly significantly worse hitter than Hech (this season) and yet his defense makes him SIX times more valuable than Hech, per fWAR.