Peter Gammons on 6:00 PM sport center

minus

He wasn't quite that explicit. He kind of sighed when he spoke about the Marlins' finances, basically saying that it could be logically assumed that the Marlins didn't have enough money. It didn't sound like the Marlins gave Vlad their best shot, and he turned it down. He certainly doesn't expect the Marlins to come up with the money, but who knows?

Gammons may have been among the first to write 'positive' articles about the Marlins, but it was only after the fact that he couldnt really write negative ones with any kind of credibility. We were winning and in the thick of the wild card. He had no choice.

Same here. He HAS to mention us as a player because, well, we are. If he could get around it, he would, and he has tried. By saying that the Marlins dont have the money - or at least insinuating it - is ridiculous. The Expos offered Vlad a deal - and he rejected it. If they have the money, we certainly do. Also, if he had been given enough time last season, he would have rejected us trying to sign Fudge. In fact, I dont think he ever mentioned we were trying to sign Fudge. Why? Maybe because he has no contacts with the Marlins organization BECAUSE HE DOESNT RESPECT OUR ORGANIZATION. That is ok, we were only named the organization of the year AND world champs this season.

Continue to ignore us, or downplay us - it doesnt matter. As of right now these are facts:

1) The Marlins and O's are the only suitors with realistic chances of landing Vlad

2) Of these two teams, the Marlins are PREFERRED to the O's - even Gammons admitted that

This means Vlad will wait out a deal from us and weigh it against the money the O's offer. His agents, and the PU (player's union) will steer him towards the most money. It will come down to what Vlad wants - or, perhaps more fritghteningly, what his agent, CUZA, convinces.

With Free agency in all sports the longer the player is out there the better......... if you are the under dog. (Marlins are underdog because of the financial constraints)

Last night around this time Rotowire was reporting that he was a done deal to the Orioles and ESPN was saying he was real close to signing in Baltimore.

The longer this goes the better it looks for us. Why ? look how quickly the O's went from 3 years @ 8 mill to 6 years @ 12 mill for tejada. If Vlad wanted to go there he could have already gotten 6 years @14 mill.

All this talk about the O's is coming from his agents (trying to drive the price up from Loria) while Vlads buddies are all saying he wants to play in Florida.

I just want us to make an offer. Until we do, it's all speculation. All the comments on our money, or lack there of, are speculation. I just want to see us come with an offer. If we don't, and he signs with the O's, it will tell me that we have been wasting time. Hopefully, the delay with Vlad involves him holding out for a Marlins offer. And even more hopefully, we have been working round the clock to come up with enough money while not neglecting our bullpen concerns.

I just hope we come up with some kind of offer tomorrow. Just let us have some closure.

I really do not buy into this Gammons bias. 12 months ago we were the clippers/bengals. It was easy to pick on us. He is paid to give his opinion based on the info his soures give him. The odds right now favor Baltimore ($$$$). The facts are vlad would like to come here but the O's have more money to offer. Has he stated anything much different than that?

BTW, would anyone have a problem trading Conine in order to free up $3 million? I know he is Mr. Marlin but if it means benitez/ williamson and Vlad I say sayonara Mr. marlin. We do have Hee Seop Choi?