New York Post "translates" all of Jeter's comments today

SonOfJack

ORLANDO, Fla. — Derek Jeter attended his first owners meeting Wednesday and admitted how “strange” he felt in the new environment.

But then he did something very familiar from two decades as a Yankee star: He stood amid a large media scrum and pleasantly answered all questions in full sentences while providing as much substance as a Kardashian at a Mensa meeting.

I would like to think that during those two decades I became one of the foremost Jeter-ologists on the planet, so let me see if I can offer Jeter for Dummies here:

— When Jeter says of all the reports that Giancarlo Stanton is being shopped: “It’s easy to point the finger at him because he makes the most money. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the move that’s going to be made.”

Translation: The Marlins will be trading Stanton. Executives from multiple teams all used the same term — “actively shopping” — to describe how the Marlins are proceeding with Stanton, who is owed $295 million over the next 10 years at a time when the Marlins have about $400 million in debt so, you know, begin to do the math. If Stanton is not traded, it would only be because no suitor was willing to take on enough money.

Jeter has some experience dealing with large media scrums.Anthony J. Causi

— When Jeter says about having to endure losing for his first time in the majors: “I don’t agree with you. I don’t think anyone says that the World Series is an unrealistic goal going into the season.”

Translation: The Marlins are going to lose and lose big. You see, any Jeter-ologist will tell you there are few things Jeter hates more than negativity; he becomes an instant contrarian to all pessimistic statements involving him. But he can take wisdom from this quote about the Marlins:

“We will build something. But it will take time. There has to be patience.”

Yep, that was Jeter three minutes earlier, just based on a more benign question. Hence, something that approaches the reality that the Marlins are a dumpster fire. They were available to Jeter because they were a dumpster fire lit by previous owner Jeffrey Loria and team president David Samson. The payroll is loaded with overpaid players, many of whom will be unavailable next year due to injury. The farm system is atrocious. The anger of the fan base intense – only to be made more so when the best player in franchise history, Stanton, is dealt. The local TV contract is the worst in the sport. The front-office structure is still being amended. Local ties to business are poor. The analytics department is mom and pop compared to others.

Derek Jeter, the player, never experienced a losing season. Derek Jeter, the owner, is going to be different.

— When Jeter says of why he has yet to reach out personally to Stanton: “If there’s a reason to call, I’ll call him. But at this point, there’s no reason to call him.”

Translation: Jeter does not like confrontation, which works much better when you are the great, beloved shortstop of the Yankees than when you become the owner of a dumpster fire. A lot of hard truths will need to be told.

A Giancarlo Stanton trade could set the course for Jeter’s rebuilding plan.Getty Images

At 28 and eight years into his career, Jeter was in the midst of a 10-year contract with a no-trade clause and, though he danced around the subject when confronted with this — of course he did, Jeter is an expert verbal dancer on what he doesn’t want to talk about — he would have wanted to hear from his owner as the face of the franchise if he were constantly in rumors as Stanton, 28 and in the midst of a 10-year contract with a no-trade clause as the face of the Marlins, almost certainly deserves.

— When asked if he needed to tell fans who turned bitter through multiple fire sales by the old regime his intentions with Stanton, Jeter said: “I think you explain after something were to happen.”

Translation: Did I mention Jeter doesn’t like confrontation? Except here is the thing: Why would a fan buy a ticket now when the guy who hit 59 homers last year probably won’t be on the team next year? Jeter mentioned, “Season ticket sales ramp up in January.” Great. I assume he would like to sell some tickets between now and January, though, right?

— When describing the current financial situation of the Marlins, Jeter said: “We need to make adjustments. We can’t continue to run the organization how it’s been run. So we have to change that, I guess the best way to put it. If we were going to run the organization the way it was run before, we wouldn’t have bought it.”

Translation: Well, this one is pretty close to reality. But here is the thing: Jeter spent the second half of his career saying he wanted to own a team and pursued the Marlins for months before buying them in August. He has had plenty of time to imagine what he wants to do with a franchise, so the period of vagaries is over. Jeter is not the shortstop of the Yankees anymore. He is the owner of a team with a disinterested, distrustful fan base.

They need to hear the new boss speak without needing translation.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/15/translating-derek-jeters-marlins-plan-because-he-hasnt-learned/

As much as you guys might not like the fact that we need to rebuild and trade off really good pieces from an utterly mediocre team, to quote Sam hinkie, "trust the process."  Just look at what the last few world series teams did.   The Cubs and Astros spent a few years sucking, but they did the process right, invested in the draft and IFA, and they did it right. They spent years rebuilding, but in baseball especially, this process is a proven winner if you dont take short cuts and you do it right. 

It sucks from a fan perspective, and trust me, im a lifelong marlins fan who has spent 23 years on this earth, and 21 of those years have been essentially useless and frustrating, and i was at every game in the 2003 playoffs, and as much as i want to see this core win, because of the way Loria ran this franchise for the past decade, there is no viable path with this current core that would be any quicker to contention than a complete rebuild.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but it sure sounds like they don't want to do it in full. 

stop overreacting to every article or every public comment by people who it does no service to fully explain what they are trying to do.  What good would it do for Jeter to get up there and say, "we're gonna trade everyone and be terrible next year!!!"  Not only does he ruin any leverage, but he pisses off the fans too.  This will be a full rebuild.

stop overreacting to every article or every public comment by people who it does no service to fully explain what they are trying to do.  What good would it do for Jeter to get up there and say, "we're gonna trade everyone and be terrible next year!!!"  Not only does he ruin any leverage, but he pisses off the fans too.  This will be a full rebuild.

You choosing not to believe every single report out there is the same as any of us choosing to believe every report out there.

You choosing not to believe every single report out there is the same as any of us choosing to believe every report out there.

there have been no reports saying we are going to keep certain players or trade others definitively.  nor would it make any sense for the marlins or any other team to put out indications that they would trade every player.

fish20:  Just look at what the last few world series teams did.   The Cubs and Astros spent a few years sucking, but they did the process right, invested in the draft and IFA, and they did it right. They spent years rebuilding, but in baseball especially, this process is a proven winner if you dont take short cuts and you do it right. 

I truly understand your comment above, yet it needs a HUGE BUT after because (1) OURS are new owners with NO EXPERIENCE PERIOD (playing baseball doesn't constitute experience needed), (2) WITH NO EXTRA MONEY, (3) with MIKE HILL.  The ones you mentioned have (1) EXPERIENCED owners with EXPERIENCE, (2) have some EXTRA MONEY BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE LORIA PUT THEM IN SUCH HOLE, (3) NO MIKE HILL.  

So although your comments are valid mine are just as valid!!!  Ours have three strikes already against them which in baseball means your _____________________.  You can fill in the blank with whatever one word answer you wish.

As much as you guys might not like the fact that we need to rebuild and trade off really good pieces from an utterly mediocre team, to quote Sam hinkie, "trust the process."  Just look at what the last few world series teams did.   The Cubs and Astros spent a few years sucking, but they did the process right, invested in the draft and IFA, and they did it right. They spent years rebuilding, but in baseball especially, this process is a proven winner if you dont take short cuts and you do it right. 

It sucks from a fan perspective, and trust me, im a lifelong marlins fan who has spent 23 years on this earth, and 21 of those years have been essentially useless and frustrating, and i was at every game in the 2003 playoffs, and as much as i want to see this core win, because of the way Loria ran this franchise for the past decade, there is no viable path with this current core that would be any quicker to contention than a complete rebuild.

I don't know of a single poster on this board (well maybe Taiwanmarlins, but he is just "different") that would be unhappy with a rebuild. We all understand why they need to do it, but what we are afraid (I believe) of is the lack of experience in this area of team management, and also afraid of the retention of Michael Hill, and what his role & influence will be. 

I don't know of a single poster on this board (well maybe Taiwanmarlins, but he is just "different") that would be unhappy with a rebuild. We all understand why they need to do it, but what we are afraid (I believe) of is the lack of experience in this area of team management, and also afraid of the retention of Michael Hill, and what his role & influence will be. 

Bingo.

Lol. Nobody is overreacting.

In the era of smart phones and social media, information travels. Of course any of these leaked rumors or reports are never absolute proof that something will or will not happen, but they certainly give some insight as to what the FO's strategy is. If several confirmed reports emerging from people familiar with the deliberations are suggesting that the Marlins are hoping to retain both Yelich and Ozuna, right now I'm inclined to think that's the course of action Jeter wants to follow. Basically a half-ass rebuild.

Things can certainly change in time, but based on the info available to us, that's the manner in which one should be interpreting the rebuild efforts. 

Are you a Jeter/Sherman shill or something? One of the 57 different owners?

There has been literally nothing on Ozuna recently so i have no idea where youre even getting this notion that they are inclined to keeping him. 

Again I ask you, regardless of what their plans are, why would they say anything other than that they plan on keeping their best players.  They do nothing for themselves by either publicly or privately saying that they would trade those guys.

Im not a jeter or sherman shill, i dont even like that they bought the team with a money restriction, but youre making overreactions based on media reports when you have no idea what their actual plan is.  No one in their right mind in the marlins organization would come out and say that they plan to trade the entire team as their first move as owners.

fish20:  Just look at what the last few world series teams did.   The Cubs and Astros spent a few years sucking, but they did the process right, invested in the draft and IFA, and they did it right. They spent years rebuilding, but in baseball especially, this process is a proven winner if you dont take short cuts and you do it right. 

I truly understand your comment above, yet it needs a HUGE BUT after because (1) OURS are new owners with NO EXPERIENCE PERIOD (playing baseball doesn't constitute experience needed), (2) WITH NO EXTRA MONEY, (3) with MIKE HILL.  The ones you mentioned have (1) EXPERIENCED owners with EXPERIENCE, (2) have some EXTRA MONEY BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE LORIA PUT THEM IN SUCH HOLE, (3) NO MIKE HILL.  

So although your comments are valid mine are just as valid!!!  Ours have three strikes already against them which in baseball means your _____________________.  You can fill in the blank with whatever one word answer you wish.

The Astros owner Jim Crane bought the team in 2011, the year before their rebuild.  They had no money either and no fans went to their games.  Cubs have more money obviously, but they had brand new owners with no experience either starting in 2009.

Mike Hill is a concern, I agree, but we also have Denbo and others who are now part of the decision making process, so ill give them time before i jump all over them.

1) That is from nearly 2 weeks ago.

2) Again, what good does it do the marlins to come out and admit they are trying to trade Ozuna?

All im saying is you can jump all over them at the end of the offseason if they do a half ass rebuild.  But dont take every media report so seriously when most of it is negotiating strategies and it makes 0 sense to come out and admit youre gonna do a full rebuild.

The Astros owner Jim Crane bought the team in 2011, the year before their rebuild.  They had no money either and no fans went to their games.  Cubs have more money obviously, but they had brand new owners with no experience either starting in 2009.

Mike Hill is a concern, I agree, but we also have Denbo and others who are now part of the decision making process, so ill give them time before i jump all over them.

Did the Astros had the debt load Loria left us and Jeter/Sherman didn't pay off??????

Did the Astros had the debt load Loria left us and Jeter/Sherman didn't pay off??????

No, believe it or not they werent EXACTLY like this situation, but unlike us, they had 0 talent on their entire roster and won 56 games the year they were bought, 55 the next year, and 51 the year after that and were in the bottom 3 in attendance each one of those years.

No, believe it or not they werent EXACTLY like this situation, but unlike us, they had 0 talent on their entire roster and won 56 games the year they were bought, 55 the next year, and 51 the year after that and were in the bottom 3 in attendance each one of those years.

So they had lower attendance, BUT didn't have a HUGE DEBT LOAD payment to make?  Hmmmmm

So they had lower attendance, BUT didn't have a HUGE DEBT LOAD payment to make?  Hmmmmm

We dont have any "debt payment" to make.  We have an organization that was losing money annually the way it was being run before. Hence why they are saying they are going to change the way the organization is run.  What is your point?  We have a shit ton of talent at the start of the rebuild to make this an expedited rebuild if they make the right moves.