Fangraphs: The Marlins are the reason the offseason has sucked for free agents

SilverBullet

Darvish and Chatwood are projected to have 6 WAR between them. So that would get the Marlins to .500. So sign Arrieta too, probably Mouse, field a $210 million payroll, and you have the honor of getting knocked out by the Nationals or Dodgers in the NLCS  with the worst farm system in baseball and depreciating assets with only 1-2 years of control left for Ozuna, Realmuto, Stanton, and Straily.

This is hot garbage.

Darvish and Chatwood are projected to have 6 WAR between them. So that would get the Marlins to .500. So sign Arrieta too, probably Mouse, field a $210 million payroll, and you have the honor of getting knocked out by the Nationals or Dodgers in the NLCS  with the worst farm system in baseball and depreciating assets with only 1-2 years of control left for Ozuna, Realmuto, Stanton, and Straily.

This is hot garbage.

I disagree. The article is right..

Darvish and Chatwood 6-7 WAR would replace the marlins 4 & 5 starters which would most likely be negative WAR, not to mention strain on bullpen. so we're 10-12 WAR swing there with Darvish/Chatwood which is a playoff team whether you like it or not

if i havent made myself clear, I think both things are true. The marlins would have been competitive with pitching additions (you guys are really discounting how horrible marlins SP was at 4/5 spot) and the tear down was the best way forward.

I'm excited for this season .

Thanks for picking a side. 

But he’s right. 

I know it doesn’t fall in with the official party line.  But he’s right.  

We had a ridiculously bad rotation and Tazawa was beyond bad. 

I was being funny. But tbh I don't disagree with him. There were ways for the 2017 team to be competitive in 2018. It's just that they were, in my opinion, ways that would have only ended in success with a bunch of luck and basically absolutely nothing going wrong which was unlikely to happen. And of course it's no secret that I agree with the rebuild as well. 

I disagree. The article is right..

Darvish and Chatwood 6-7 WAR would replace the marlins 4 & 5 starters which would most likely be negative WAR, not to mention strain on bullpen. so we're 10-12 WAR swing there with Darvish/Chatwood which is a playoff team whether you like it or not

That math doesn't add up for a 12 WAR swing. The Marlins wouldn't be getting -5+ WAR from their 4/5 SP and some extra relievers. Caleb Smith and Despaigne are projected to be .5-1.5 WAR players for instance. That's not good, but it is slightly above replacement level.

Adding just Darvish and Chatwood is a hope and a dream of making the wild card game. They would need another 2+ players, likely from free agency, or someone like Anderson becoming a 3+ WAR player immediately

But he’s right. 

I know it doesn’t fall in with the official party line.  But he’s right.  

We had a ridiculously bad rotation and Tazawa was beyond bad. 

You would need to replace minimum 500+ innings and probably get an upgraded 600 PA somewhere. The team was 4+ players away from beating the Nationals, Cubs, or Dodgers.

That math doesn't add up for a 12 WAR swing. The Marlins wouldn't be getting -5+ WAR from their 4/5 SP and some extra relievers. Caleb Smith and Despaigne are projected to be .5-1.5 WAR players for instance. That's not good, but it is slightly above replacement level.

Adding just Darvish and Chatwood is a hope and a dream of making the wild card game. They would need another 2+ players, likely from free agency, or someone like Anderson becoming a 3+ WAR player immediately

what did the marlins have last year WAR wise from 4/5??

Caleb's 1 WAR is  projected for 120 innings. what would be other 80 innings be from whatever rando would be in there? Despaigne won't get over 100 innings this year.