Good Outfielder Non-Tendered

FutureGM

I think we were discussing him yesterday, but Jay Payton was officially non-tendered, and is now available. We should really sign him, he would be a cheap option in the OF, and would allow Conine to play 1B, and Cabrera RF.

There's alot of people here who don't like Payton but if Admin decided to give the guy a contract I wouldn't be disappointed. Ouy problem is trying to sign him to a backup role, my hunch is he's looking to play everyday and with a .300 batting average and 25+ homeruns he stands a good chance to catch on somewhere he can start.

the problem with ex-rockies is that they are the biggest pains in the asses to negotiate with. you know some team is going to give him more than he's worth... and besides, i don't really think buying another good OFer is very high on our priority list (save for a PR boost like vlad). i think they'll want to give choi a chance to start at 1B... it's certainly our cheapest option right now.

If we signed him, he'd be starting in LF. I think we can get him for $1.2-1.5 mil a year, unless demand is high.

Then obviously Choi is the odd guy out. The question becomes - do you generate more run production with Payton or Choi, and at what price? You have to wonder what Admin's run production goals are for Big Choi. If the kid clicks he's a fixture for years to come (and a cheap one at that) whereas Payton probably isn't going to live up to last year's Colorado numbers away from Coors.

It's a tough call.

If we signed him, he'd be starting in LF. I think we can get him for $1.2-1.5 mil a year, unless demand is high.

Then obviously Choi is the odd guy out. The question becomes - do you generate more run production with Payton or Choi, and at what price? You have to wonder what Admin's run production goals are for Big Choi. If the kid clicks he's a fixture for years to come (and a cheap one at that) whereas Payton probably isn't going to live up to last year's Colorado numbers away from Coors.

It's a tough call. You guys should really look at Payton's career stats. If he has even an average year, he'll still help us out. The guy's a .292 lifetime hitter.

why won't anyone at least give hee sop a chance and keep conine in LF? Because Choi hasn't performed that great in the majors yet. he was stuck in dusty's dog house after the collision with mark prior- and he was playing well b4 that

It's a tough call. You guys should really look at Payton's career stats. If he has even an average year, he'll still help us out. The guy's a .292 lifetime hitter. it's tough to have an "average year" when you're going from coors field to pps

no. the only possible non tender is Loop...

and Jay Payton? come on. dont get me started...

Yes, Payton's power numbers will drop, but he'll still bat .290-.300 anyway, because of the size of our field. He's a great contact hitter. am i in a dream world here? is this the same Jay Payton that any real Marlins follower would have seen as a Met over the last few seasons?

he played at COORS its not a small difference its a HUGE difference.

he has a duck of an arm, pre coors his career high was 17HRs. he is made of glass, he missed multiple seasons in the minors due to many injuries. and why would he want to play for the fish anyway?

i say let the Choisen one have a chance, if he stinks we give someone else a chance...

anyone else getting a little nervous that it's an hour and 45 minutes until midnight, and we haven't heard any word from Marlins camp about any of the big names getting signed\offered arbitration?

Actually, the thing I've been looking for is how much Lee signs for with the Cubs, or if they offer him arbitration. They just let Simon go, you have to figure they're trying to sign Lee rather than going to arbitration. Lee wanted multi-year $9million per deal in Baltimore.

am i in a dream world here? is this the same Jay Payton that any real Marlins follower would have seen as a Met over the last few seasons?

he played at COORS its not a small difference its a HUGE difference.

he has a duck of an arm, pre coors his career high was 17HRs. he is made of glass, he missed multiple seasons in the minors due to many injuries. and why would he want to play for the fish anyway?

i say let the Choisen one have a chance, if he stinks we give someone else a chance...

That's him :thumbup

anyone else getting a little nervous that it's an hour and 45 minutes until midnight, and we haven't heard any word from Marlins camp about any of the big names getting signed\offered arbitration?

Actually, the thing I've been looking for is how much Lee signs for with the Cubs, or if they offer him arbitration. They just let Simon go, you have to figure they're trying to sign Lee rather than going to arbitration. Lee wanted multi-year $9million per deal in Baltimore. Big Red get non-tendered........now what about DLee? I know it sounds ridiculous, but so far the Cubbies haven't been able to come to terms. They would be nuts to let him walk, but you never know. Only 1 1/2 hours to go. :D