The Abortion Thread

Johnny Reb

Well since it seems like this board is a lot more active these days, my dreams are getting close to becoming true. Thanks to everyone working to make this board what is has become.

With that said, since we are now offering up 'taboo' subjects in terms of discussion such as religion, let me offer this to you today:

What do you think about abortion? Go into legal thoughts, moral thoughts, any type of thoughts you can think of to further this discussion. Have fun and let's keep this discussion fairly civil.

Oh, here we go.

For now I'll just say that while it a woman's body and she should be able to choose what happens with her body, that doesn't give the right to kill. No one has the right to kill, so why should a woman get that right just because she was promiscious (sorry if its spelled wrong)?

I know abortion is wrong. Let me tell you a story my 7th grade gym teacher told me years ago.

One morning she went with her friend to an abortion clinic to try and abort a fetus. She had never had an abortion, in fact she had trouble conceiving a child, but her friend was scared of having to raise the child herself. When they went in to see the doctor and she was given a physical and examination of the baby she decided to not abort. Her quote was, "How could I kill a child, when even my best friend is not able to have one. How could I be so selfish?"

She had the child, a healthy baby boy. My gym teacher never was able to conceive a child. She suffered 4 miscarriages. When my gym teacher told me this story she said, "What if my mother had not been brave enough to give birth to me and good enough to put me up for adoption...I wouldn't exist."

It was a moving story and I thought I would share it with you. All I can say is please think about killing a child.

Fetuses aren't human. Killing kittens, cognitively more advanced life-forms is a far more heinous, immoral crime. If the father doesn't want the child, he should not be held liable for it in my honest opinion. A fetus isn't human, it does not deserve to mess up anyone's life because people do not thoroughly understand what is human and what is not.

"How could I kill a child, when even my best friend is not able to have one. How could I be so selfish?"

Its not a child. Is sperm a child? Is a zygote a child? No, they are low level lifeforms, who cares if they die. The fetus is a low level lifeform that cannot love and think at a cognitively advanced enough level that warrants the status of human, so killing a child is irrelevant. Killing a low level lifeform? If it is going to ruin the lives of humans, then yes.

I'm a militant pro-killing fetuses/pro choice/pro you know, whatever you want to call it.

For those with a darker sense of humor concerning the subject:

Babies Suck

Babies blow. What do they do? They're parasites that suck their mothers blood. Whenever they s***, puke, or drool its cute. What the hell is up with that? They're not smart either. I bet cats, dogs, and cows are smarter. But hey, its fun to run over dogs and cats, and tip cows, not kill babies! Just because a baby is human in body, it is not human in mind, In fact, I bet they are closer to a rat in mind.

I don't see the difference. We're human, because of our mind. Our cognition makes us human. A dog or pig is more human than a mere baby.

So let's just kill babies. They're not worth anything, they're excess meat, protein...genetic waste. Luckily in our modern day world, we can have fun killing babies all the time, with the help of abortion.

Ah abortion, we can make as much chum for our nation's zoo's fish! Abortion is awesome!

1. It gets rid of big a** problems. Think about it, a baby forces people to lose jobs, drop out of school, ruin their lives, and just be horrible f***ing parents producing horrible f***ing children.

What, I am a horrible person? Well that's because I had horrible parents, so there, my first point cannot be refuted.

2. There's nothing wrong with it, because babies aren't human. Think about it, if they have less cognition than an animal, then why are they so darn special? I step on bugs all the time, and I bet people have nothing against killing low order life forms like rats.

3. A fetus is even more worthless than a baby, so the mother has just as much a right to kill it as one as the right to take out a tumor...In a way, an unwanted baby is a tumor. Hey, tumors a human! They are alive! Yeah, but they suck, so kill them.

I'm pro killing fetuses and I'm anti-destroying human lives. If anyone is willing to go through an abortion, that baby must really be a threat to living a decent life. Why should we hold something so cognitively insignificant dearly to us? I say a human has to look after their fellow human more, not these insignificant parasites that become human after a couple of months. If they are not human yet, then there is nothing wrong with killing it.

So you pro life nuts, help save some lives worth saving, like starving people or people unlucky enough to be born in Africa. Hey, try not voting for Bush in the next election, you will help contribute to saving thousands upon thousands of lives. But saving worthless pieces of meat doesn't make you a good person, it just makes you close minded and stalwart. All you do is contribute to the destruction of the lives of established humanity.

http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=craigr...gs&uid=43644979

I Don't Believe In A Woman's Right To Choose

Can someone please tell me why this topic of abortion is the only issue in the United States of America where we don't call it by what it is. Don't understand? Let me explain:

People that support Gun Control - Pro Gun Control

People that support Tax Cuts - Pro Tax Cut

People that support Blocking Gay Marriages - Anti Gay Marriages

People that support Bush - Pro Bush

People that do not support Bush - Anti Bush

People that support Killing Unborn Babies - ProChoice???

Anyone notice the break in the trend? I sure as hell did. Whether you are pro-life or "pro-choice" you MUST have noticed this breakoff. Why is it that pro-choice people call themselves "Pro-Choice" and not "Pro-Baby Killing." I mean it is what they believe, should they want to wear this label with pride? I know that some would argue that an unborn baby is not really a baby so I'm willing to go with the "Pro-Fetus Killing" label. C'mon say it with pride!

Oh, what's the matter? You're afraid that actually calling your belief by what it is makes it seem wrong in some way? Well guess what you idiot, you are wrong. You're so wrong that you're not even willing to call your belief what it actually is. You're wrong before you even got out of the box.

What? I'ts not really "killing" because the baby isn't alive and is feeling no pain? Oh man you're 100% right and I'm such an idiot:

The "fetus" pictured below is clearly feeling no pain

http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/pba/PBA_Images/PBA5.BMP

You may be wondering why I wrote something so technical and pointless. It is mearly in response to the new Democratic Term. I have heard it a few times in the past year in describing conservatives as "Anti-Choice." We aren't even "Pro-Life" anymore, we're "Anti-Choice." That's right us life-saving bastards who are infringing on the rights of women are now the bad guys. Guess what, by this logic; if you think O.J. was guilty, you are a racist.

Explanation:

O.J had 2 choices that day.

Choice 1 - Kill his wife

Choice 2 - Not Kill his wife

Those who believe that only the 2nd choice was acceptable are described as "Anti-Choice" for they are taking away his right to choose. Those who believe either choice is acceptable are known as "Pro-Choice."

It's quite obvious who's right here, the Pro-Choice people. They are the crusaders who support minority rights. The "Anti-Choice" bastards are just infringing on the right of the black man to kill his wife and the guy who's happening to be standing next to her.

P.S. Do not respond to me telling me that O.J. is innocent because you're just an idiot. I really hope he finds "The Real Killer" someday.

http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=JrodTa...gs&uid=41539603

This has got to be the hardest topic to debate on.

Well first of all...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does every sex act result in a pregnancy? God- I hope not- we have enough world population problems as it is

Actually, the world is underpopluated. I'm not trying to be a smartass but I learned that in Global Studies, just wanted to clear that up.

But anyways, I could never decide what side I'm on for the whole abortion deal. Both sides have good points.

I think abortion is wrong because you're killing an innocent person (I don't care if it's not a human yet, it will obviously turn into one) and it's not right to have to make other people suffer for your mistakes (unless you were raped and that's a completely different story). And what CapeFish's gym teacher said was totally right, it is selfish to all the women out there that can't have children because you're over there killing a child while other couples go have to get a child that's not even their own.

On the other hand.....I know that if I was in the situation of being 14 and finding out I'm pregnant, I would get an abortion even though I know I would have a guilty conscience forever. I still think it's wrong but when you're put in the situation, it's a little different. And it is a woman's body and her decision and rather her get an abortion than throw the baby in the dumpster or flush it down the toilet or mistreat it or something.

I'm pro-choice.

What right does the gov't have to tell me what to do with my body? It's MY life that's going to be controlled for 9 (at the minimum...even if you were to give it up for adoption) months. Visits to the doctor and medical bills all add up. Plus, all the conservatives are saying "no" to abortion, but tell me, exactly, who's going to take care of all the babies that mothers don't want and couldn't abort? I don't see the gov't exactly jumping to their aid to help feed it. OR offer contraceptives to prevent it from occuring in the first place...

In the cases we're talking about, an abortion is going to happen before the fetus fully develops. So it won't have a central nervous system, and it won't feel pain.

People sometimes forget that an abortion is not a cakewalk. No woman is going to prance into an abortion clinic and then want to head for a night on the town afterwards. It's a painful, expensive (cash up front) procedure, and you've really got to NOT want a baby to abort it.

Plus, if you make abortions illegal, I hope you're prepared to deal with all the "coathanger in the backstreets" procedures.

O.J had 2 choices that day.

Choice 1 - Kill his wife

Choice 2 - Not Kill his wife

Those who believe that only the 2nd choice was acceptable are described as "Anti-Choice" for they are taking away his right to choose. Those who believe either choice is acceptable are known as "Pro-Choice."

:lol :lol :lol i love the OJ analogy!

personally, i'm pro-abortion (yes, i'll call it that).

a fetal mass of tissue simply lacks the neural development and cognitive ability to be considered an intelligent form of life. i don't think it compares at all to killing a baby. if the thing can't think, it isn't murder. even cockroaches can think...

from a humanitarian standpoint, one could say a life is better off never coming into existence if its existence will be a harsh one. surely the act of preventing a sperm from fertilizing an egg is not a bad thing.... at what point does abortion become immoral?

obviously if a woman carries a baby to term and gives birth, she can easily put the baby up for adoption and make someone else happy. but why should anyone be forced to perform a grueling, 9-month act of goodwill?

over-the-counter availability of the morning-after pill should do wonders in preventing unwanted pregnancies and unwanted abortions. the only moral argument against it would be the perceived "encouragement" of unsafe sex and promiscuity. again, i think humans are intelligent enough to make decisions for themselves.

I'm pro-choice.

What right does the gov't have to tell me what to do with my body? It's MY life that's going to be controlled for 9 (at the minimum...even if you were to give it up for adoption) months. Visits to the doctor and medical bills all add up. Plus, all the conservatives are saying "no" to abortion, but tell me, exactly, who's going to take care of all the babies that mothers don't want and couldn't abort? I don't see the gov't exactly jumping to their aid to help feed it. OR offer contraceptives to prevent it from occuring in the first place...

In the cases we're talking about, an abortion is going to happen before the fetus fully develops. So it won't have a central nervous system, and it won't feel pain.

People sometimes forget that an abortion is not a cakewalk. No woman is going to prance into an abortion clinic and then want to head for a night on the town afterwards. It's a painful, expensive (cash up front) procedure, and you've really got to NOT want a baby to abort it.

Plus, if you make abortions illegal, I hope you're prepared to deal with all the "coathanger in the backstreets" procedures.

Wow, I never thought about it that way.

That's really true.

i dont know why, but i felt like responding to you with a million questions. forgive me, miggysladi ;)

Well first of all...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does every sex act result in a pregnancy? God- I hope not- we have enough world population problems as it is

Actually, the world is underpopluated. I'm not trying to be a smartass but I learned that in Global Studies, just wanted to clear that up.i don't want to get off topic here, but do you think a country is underpopulated when it is forced to enact a law that makes it illegal for a couple to have more than one child? (china) or what about a country that has difficulty feeding its population, is crawling with communicable diseases, and whose cities are 20 times more congested than any city in the US? (india)

I think abortion is wrong because you're killing an innocent person (I don't care if it's not a human yet, it will obviously turn into one)

what about a sperm and an egg? do you think it's wrong to prevent two haploid cells from fusing into one cell? what if a woman decided to toss that one cell out of her fallopian tubes? the cell would eventually have become a human... so do you still consider it to be the "killing" of "an innocent person"?

and what about tossing out a brainless mass of cells? does that really seem like killing to you? have you ever squashed an ant? an ant has more cognitive ability than a fetus.

and it's not right to have to make other people suffer for your mistakes (unless you were raped and that's a completely different story).

if a condom breaks, do you think a woman should be forced to mother a child simply because she was having sex? what if she's single, broke, and on welfare... do you think a child should grow up in that environment? what if the mother is 13 years old? what if the mother has HIV?

which fate for that mass of cells seems more immoral to you?

And what CapeFish's gym teacher said was totally right, it is selfish to all the women out there that can't have children because you're over there killing a child while other couples go have to get a child that's not even their own.

should any woman be forced to essentially donate a child because another couple cannot conceive?

On the other hand.....I know that if I was in the situation of being 14 and finding out I'm pregnant, I would get an abortion even though I know I would have a guilty conscience forever.

i am neither 14 nor female, but if i were in that situation, i would do exactly the same as you. it wouldn't be a hard decision, either.

omg, how can you people some of you say that having an abortion isn't committing murder, excuse me but the instant you are considered pregnant that child is a breathing organism and has the right to life just like you and i.

i'm pregnant and well i could never in A Million years have had an abortion or giving the child i am carrying no chance to life. I'm pro-life and I believe that women who have abortions should be thrown into a lions den and have to fight for their lives.

Babies' who are inside a mother and come to full term and you have the guts to suck that childs brain out, do not tell me that they can not feel pain, just that's like asking a blind man if it hurt when you ran over his foot b/c he couldn't see it.

think twice honestly people are you fu.cking stupid to think that a baby you murder and destroy doesn't have the chance to life.

if you believe that abortion is the mother choice where is the father shouldn't he have the right to give the mother the permission, yes b/c thank you very much he is the reason you are pregnant you didn't do it yourself and you sure as hell didn't go to a sperm bank just to get pregnant and then terminate it. if you did i would shoot you myself.

a baby is precious and a life form created by god and something that should get the chance to live and be a person who can make a difference. maybe if you aren't raising it or even if you are they are still living and breathing and deserve the chance to prove themselves.

i dont' kno maybe im rambling but this is something that bring a mother to tears when they think about young CHILDREN committing murder b/c there were on their backs with there legs open instead of in a desk becoming better women in the world.

-----------------

"Its not a child. Is sperm a child? Is a zygote a child? No, they are low level lifeforms, who cares if they die."

How the hell can you say that, a man how can you say that are you saying that your sperm is a low lever lifeform. ya i believe you are

so are you telling me if you got your girl *if you have one* pregnant you wouldn't care if she killed it b/c it's a Low Level Lifeform and your tiny cockroach rat infested brain has more inteligence then it.

i think not

1. omg, how can you people some of you say that having an abortion isn't committing murder, excuse me but the instant you are considered pregnant that child is a breathing organism and has the right to life just like you and i.

2. How the hell can you say that, a man how can you say that are you saying that your sperm is a low lever lifeform. ya i believe you are

3. so are you telling me if you got your girl *if you have one* pregnant you wouldn't care if she killed it b/c it's a Low Level Lifeform and your tiny cockroach rat infested brain has more inteligence then it.

i think not

1. No, its not like you an I, its more like a cockroach. A tumor in my body is a breathing organism.

2. Oh, a nutcase? In the real world, guys masterbate all the time, meanining in the last 6 years alone, I must of killed billions of sperm, all of those quote end quote "precious lifeforms". They're not precious, you are just crazy and have an ill-conceived notion of humanity.

3. Yes, I would not care if my wife had an abortion. That thing is not human, I cherish the cow that makes my hamburger far more than that insignificant mesh of meat inside of my wife's womb.

I come from my own extreme viewpoint. The mid makes us human. If we made a computer that thought like us and was smarter, I would consider it human (like robert williams in bicentennial man.) The fetus is not human, but it ruins human lives, so destroying it holds no moral implications.

Just a few things I guess:

- If the father wanted his wife to have an abortion, he is equally responsible. He deserves just as much blame. If he doesn't want her to have the abortion but she still has it, he still is to blame but the woman would carry most of the blame.

- I would never want my wife/girlfriend to have an abortion, because it's just killing. And you know what it ends up being? That you had sex, thinking you were responsible enough, and you weren't. You are basically trying to get rid of your mistake because you can't handle it. Your not taking responsibility for what you did.

- I don't believe that the government should tell a woman what to do, and now that abortion is legal we are stuck and you can't make it illegal because then women will as much risk as the babies in the abortion process. But think of it this way, does the government letting you do it make it right?

- If you don't believe partial birth abortion is sick, inhumane, and most definately should be illegal, then I want to know where you are hiding your Neo-Nazi membership card. It is sadistic, disgusting, and if people can do that to kids then I'd like to see what you say if they were to do it to you.

- Someone mentioned what if she was rape. Then it is ok. But, do you know unlikely it is for a woman that was raped to become pregnant?

Question to ponder: What would happen if you would have been aborted? What if you were a failed abortion? I know a girl who was a failed abortion, and I'm sure if she ever knew her parents she would probably not get along with them very well.

Letter from the NARAL Pro-Choice President:

LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT

Perhaps more than ever before,we appreciate the values and freedoms that make America great. The freedom to choose ? which I believe is the greatest of human freedoms ? stands proudly alongside the freedom to speak, worship, and vote as a fundamental American right. And like other rights, we cannot take it for granted. It is constantly threatened ? by politicians, by government, by religious extremists. If just one vote for a woman?s right to choose changes at the Supreme Court, many women could lose their right to choose.

To ensure that the freedom to choose endures, we must be ever vigilant about the threats to choice. Whether Roe survives will depend on people, many of whom are not even aware that choice is threatened. The NARAL Foundation ensures that the threats to choice are documented, that people are aware of the threats, and that they are trained and motivated to act to protect their pro-choice beliefs. We advance policies to protect the full range of reproductive choices and to defend against the unceasing tide of anti-choice initiatives.

NARAL believes that women, not the government, should make highly personal decisions involving when to bear a child. We are pro-choice, not pro-abortion. We believe that women should have access to a broad range of reproductive choices, including effective family planning, infertility treatments, healthy childbearing, abortion, and adoption. We believe that only by trusting and empowering women to make these personal decisions can we promote the health of women and their families.

The state of reproductive freedom, as set forth in the eleventh edition of Who Decides? A State-by-State Review of Abortion and Reproductive Rights, is a chilling reminder that some who do not share these views are powerful politically and unyielding in their efforts to criminalize the exercise of reproductive rights. They feign concern for women?s health, but their real goal is to eliminate the freedom to choose, which would have devastating effects on women?s equality, health, and freedom.

As you read this publication, I hope you will reflect on what you are doing to protect our precious and endangered rights, and that you will recommit to protecting the freedom to choose.

Kate Michelman

President

December, 2001

I have tried to avoid this topic as much as possible... But resistance is futile, or so they say.

A woman should have and does have the right to decide what happens with her body. Religion or politics should not interfere in my choice to be a mother or not. Period.

I am a Catholic. I believe that abortion is not a choice for me. But who am I, or the president or the Pope, to decide whether that choice should be taken away from somebody else?

As far as I can remember, God gave us free will and it was our choice to do what we thought was right. Why are the politicians and religious leaders trying to decide what is best for us?

Those who advocate the "Men's Rights" to know, I ask you this.... What right does a rapist have over the body of a woman he just raped? Or, what right does an irresponsible teenager has over the girl he impregnated and abandoned?

here is one of my views.....

there are tons and tons of couples who would like children, but because of circumstances are unable to concieve and could provide for a great and loving family for a child.

Except in cases of rape and in cases where the woman's health is affected, abortion should be outlawed.

To me, abortion is the 'easy' way out.

"QUOTE

Babies' who are inside a mother and come to full term and you have the guts to suck that childs brain out"

No abortion clinic or hospital in the country does full term abortions unless the mother's life is threatened beyond repair. Your phrase full term refers to the baby being in the third tri-mester. At that stage, the baby is capable of surviving on it's own- with a tremendous amount of help from modern technology.

Ask your pediatrician if a first or second tri-mester baby can survive outside the womb, even with the aid of a neonatal hospital unit. The answer will be no.

Babies' who are inside a mother and come to full term and you have the guts to suck that childs brain out,

-------------------------

I don't kno where the hell you get your info for, but yes they do in all ways perform full term abortions if you pass term to have a vacum abortion before the baby is born.

and the fact that you an say you would have an abortion just because you don't want another child, do you not think of the couples out there who can not have children or the fact that adoption is better then abortion, you are sick honestly to think of abortion as right when you have two children.

it clearly says in the bible it is wrong. maybe you dont' believe in the Christ but sh.it i would like to believe that some people have the common mind to think that killing a life form is wrong.

---------------------------

SorianoFanHFW

you are just seriously disturbed. how you can think that something that is attached to a breathing women isn't a life form. when you have a heart beat and are breathing you are considered living.

i don't kno how to tell you my views on life because i think one way and sh.it i can just spill all mine out because all you will do is find a way to criticize them or make them sound "wrong" so fu.ck your sadistic thinking methods for i'm glad to say tha ti don't kno you personally.

here is one of my views.....

there are tons and tons of couples who would like children, but because of circumstances are unable to concieve and could provide for a great and loving family for a child.

Except in cases of rape and in cases where the woman's health is affected, abortion should be outlawed.

To me, abortion is the 'easy' way out.

Write it down, I agree with Das.

Abortion continues to be the easy way out of things. You don't want the child? Adoption exists in this world, you know. Give the baby up for adoption, like what happened to the friend I refered to earlier. Her mom was going to have the abortion, and a priest advised her to give the baby up for adoption. She did, they found a family, and she ended up being class valedictorian.

here is a scientific viewpoint.

i would like all of you guys to tell me where on this timeline you think this mass of cells becomes human. i've bolded all milestones that have anything to do with brain development, cognition, sensation, and CNS-controlled motor ability. after looking at the timeline, tell me at which point you think it becomes the "killing" of a human lifeform.

obviously most people don't think one cell constitutes killing, so i would like to hear everyone's honest opinion as to which point is the moral point of no return.

from http://www.cbctrust.com/PRENATAL.html:

Before Fertilization:

An egg (a living, human cell) is released from a woman's ovary during ovulation. The unfertilized egg is quite active. If it remains unfertilized, it will die within 24 hours.

Several hundred million sperm (also living, human cells) are released during ejaculation. The sperm are active swimmers.

At Fertilization:

A single sperm succeeds in penetrating the egg. About 20 hours later the nucleus of the sperm fuses with the nucleus of the egg, forming a single cell called a zygote.

The fertilized human egg has the same basic cellular chemistry as all other living things. Comparing our DNA with that of apes, we find 99% of our genes are identical.

At 2 Weeks' Gestation (from Conception):

A change in the zygote occurs which ends its capability of splitting into twins: "singularity" is achieved.

Pregnancy (with its hormonal changes) begins when and if the zygote implants in the woman's uterus.

Because of abnormalities, nature has aborted about 55% of all fertilized eggs by this point . Another 12% or more will spontaneously abort sometime after.

At 4 Weeks' Gestation (from Conception):

The human embryo has a tail and bears a striking resemblance to embryos of other vertebrates, from fish to mammals.

It has gill-like arches which will grow to form parts of the head and neck; in fish these eventually develop into gills.

A primitive heart, which generates its own electrical rhythm, is located outside the body, allowing the growing organism to circulate nutrients and waste products.

Like the embryos of many mammals, human embryos begin without gender.

The embryo is about half a centimetre in size.

If a defect occurs during this stage of development, a miscarriage is likely to result.

It is usually too early in pregnancy for a surgical abortion, but the French abortion pill RU 486 (which is not available in Canada) is effective at this early stage of pregnancy.

At 8 Weeks' Gestation (from Conception):

The embryo is now called a fetus.

It has the primitive beginnings of most of the major body organs. Organ functions have not yet developed.

The heart is beginning to form the typical four-chambered structure of mammals.

The fetus moves by reflex.

No brain waves (regular electrical patterns) yet exist.

The developing eyes start to move from the sides of the head toward the front, the position for a primate. The tail has disappeared.

The fetus has begun to look human, with a rudimentary face, limbs, hands and feet (webbing disappears). It is structurally immature and functionally quite limited.

It weighs 1/30 of an oz. (1 g) and is about 3 cm long.

About 70% of abortions have taken place by this point.

At 12 Weeks' Gestation (from Conception):

The second trimester of pregnancy has begun.

External genital organs begin to differentiate.

The fetus weighs about one ounce.

More kinds of reflex movements appear. The brain is not yet well enough organized to control movements or form even the most basic perceptions. It will not be for some time.

Most miscarriages and about 96% of abortions have taken place by this point.

At 16 Weeks' Gestation:

The body of the fetus grows dramatically. It weighs about 6 ounces.

Its organs continue to grow and differentiate.

It has no awareness (including no awareness of pain), because the part of the brain that deals with thought and perception, called the neocortex, has not yet begun to develop the necessary interconnections.

The fetal health test amniocentesis is performed on a small percentage of pregnant women at this point. Less than 3% of such tests result in abortion.

The pregnant woman will soon begin to feel the fetus' movements for the first time.

At 20 Weeks' Gestation:

The rate of fetal growth is slower.

Its internal organs continue to mature. The lungs remain immature.

The eyelids are completely fused.

In the fetal brain, the first few synapses or connections begin to form among the nerve cells in the neocortex, with the greatest part of the process of interconnection yet to follow.

At 24 Weeks' Gestation:

This is the beginning of the third trimester of pregnancy.

The interconnection or "wiring up" of the fetal brain has begun. The nerve cells of the neocortex begin to synapse with nerve cells from the thalamus, which is the relay point for the body's sensory input. Bursts of recognizable brain waves start to appear among the random signals.

The earliest point at which a fetus can possibly survive outside the womb is about 23-24 weeks of gestation (500 grams or approximately 1 lb). At this stage the chance of survival is low and the risk of impairment and disability quite serious.

Scientists say that this point of survivability will not change in the foreseeable future, because the fetal lung does not mature sufficiently to permit even mechanically-assisted breathing before week 23-24 of gestation.

At 28 Weeks' Gestation:

The eyes are open. The body begins to fatten.

The greatest degree of interconnection of the neocortex of the brain begins rather abruptly at about the 28th week. Fetal wakefulness and sleep periods begin to appear. Brain wave EEG patterns are about to change.

This point has been called the onset of cognitive awareness or brain life.

The lungs are maturing, which increases the chances of survival in the event of premature delivery.

A miscarriage at this stage is called a stillbirth.

At 32 Weeks' Gestation:

Brain waves are more organized.

The fetus continues to grow and gain an increased amount of fat.

The fetus is well enough developed so that, if born, it has a 90% chance of survival.

At 36 Weeks' Gestation:

The fetus will soon be ready to be born.

Birth (38 Weeks' Gestation):

Birth is a multi-stage process.

The fetus leaves the woman's body, comes into the world, breathes for the first time, uses new senses and organs, and exists independent of its mother. When a baby is born its voice is heard, and within hours of being born there is a necessity to communicate.

Birth marks a critical point for both infant and mother. Birth is the moment of social membership into the family, community, culture, and, ultimately, history.

(oh, and btw, a "reflex movements" are stimulatory mechanisms completely unrelated to any sort of brain control. cells all over your body are having reflex movements as we speak.)

so when does it become a human being?