Sheffield Denies Steroid Use

MiRi

Sheffield says he bought vitamins, not steroids

Friday, February 20, 2004

Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield denied ever using steroids Thursday, saying he would take a drug test if asked.

Sheffield, who signed with the Yankees as a free agent in December after two seasons with the Atlanta Braves, was one of several baseball players who testified before a grand jury in the case against the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative -- the San Francisco lab allegedly at the center of a steroid ring.

"The bottom line is that I did purchase vitamins from that company, being out there and working out with Barry Bonds," Sheffield said. "Besides that, I don't know what else can come with that. I've been an honorable guy. I've been outspoken about testing guys. And anybody that wants me to say I'll take the challenge of taking a test, I'll be the first guy up there."

According to the documents released Tuesday, Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, told federal agents he gave steroids to several professional baseball players. It was unclear whether Anderson provided specific names to the federal agents.

No players were identified in the documents released at a news conference at the U.S. attorney's office in San Francisco, and the only time a player's name was used in the 24 pages of documents it was blacked out.

But several news organizations around the country were e-mailed versions of the documents, in which Sheffield was listed as having sent a package to BALCO on Feb. 17, 2003.

The material inadvertently sent does not allege that Sheffield used steroids, and does not specify what was in the package.

On Thursday, Sheffield said he had given blood and urine samples to the lab and the company designed special vitamin supplements for him according to his body type and nutritional needs. His attorney, Rufus Williams, said federal officials told him a clerical error caused Sheffield's name to be disclosed.

I can really care less, steroids are overrated. you still gotta put the ball over the fence. and the most important aspect of hitting a HR isnt steroids or power. its more of how well u hit the ball

U know Bonds would of never reached 73 without roids. I'd say he would of hit in the upper 40's if he didn't take them. Just like he did every yr before that!!

U know Bonds would of never reached 73 without roids. I'd say he would of hit in the upper 40's if he didn't take them. Just like he did every yr before that!!

NOOOOO!!!!! are you crazy! how can u tell me that steroids accounted for 30 of his homers. when that guy was on lock. NO1 could pitch 2 him. lemme explain..

Barry Bonds wasnt just a Slugger, he was a hitter. notice his high average that year. also consider he had more HR's than STRIKEOUTS! which is obsurd.

Now, go back and look at mcgwires 70 HR season. he didnt even hit .300 (.299 i believe) and he was a K machine. now i can say steroids might have accounted for maybe 15 of his homers and thats alot considering the man wasnt much of a hitter. just a slugger.

but now back 2 Bonds. Bonds was more than human in 01' he was locked in thats y i believe steroids or no steroids, he deserves the credit for hitting all those homers

NOOOOO!!!!! are you crazy! how can u tell me that steroids accounted for 30 of his homers. when that guy was on lock. NO1 could pitch 2 him. lemme explain..

Barry Bonds wasnt just a Slugger, he was a hitter. notice his high average that year. also consider he had more HR's than STRIKEOUTS! which is obsurd.

Now, go back and look at mcgwires 70 HR season. he didnt even hit .300 (.299 i believe) and he was a K machine. now i can say steroids might have accounted for maybe 15 of his homers and thats alot considering the man wasnt much of a hitter. just a slugger.

but now back 2 Bonds. Bonds was more than human in 01' he was locked in thats y i believe steroids or no steroids, he deserves the credit for hitting all those homers Bonds always just needed a few feet to his flyballs to get more homers. The roids added that few feet and with his body doubling in size I do think his flyballs turned into homers. Yes, I still stand by that he would of not even hit 50 homers without the roids.

guess there no convincing u eh?

so you're saying steroids couldn't have helped barry hit HRs?

JP is an awesome hitter who's nearly impossible to strikeout. does that mean he's going to hit any HRs?

HRs require hitting ability and STRENGTH. Bonds has a lot faster hands than Pierre. You could take a 'roid raging body builder and give him a bat and he won't get the ball out of the infield. Strenght isn't everything when it comes to hitting, it's hand-speed and coordination.

Pierre is a great contact hitter but, so is my little brother but hes a 3rd grader. that doesnt mean strength is everything. u obviously need strength but it doesnt require legion amounts of it 2 hit home runs. pierre is a great contact hitter but hes a linedrive - groundball hitter. bonds is a linedrive-flyball hitter. big difference

Steriods helps tremendously in your performance. Your swing can always be adjusted due to your strength. The reason JP is a line drive/groundball hitter is because he utilizes his speed. If he was strong and could hit the homer regularly he would be able to adjust his swing into a more homerun swing. It is not hard.

Steriods helps in every aspect. Hitting wise you hit the ball a lot further and pitching you throw the ball a lot harder. I knew a kid who was throwing low 70s and then took steroids and started throwing mid to high 80s. All because of steriods.

I am not taking credit away from Bonds saying that he is a bad hitter because I am a true believer that Bonds was awesome before he started getting big. But steriods can make average to below average hitters great. Why is it that Ken Caminiti was an average player and then took steroids and won the mvp that year? Why is it that you think so many people are taking steriods so seriously?

If you played baseball you would know how much steroids can help you out. Tons of people are able to hit the baseball going 90 mph but not everyone can hit it 400 feet in the air. With the strength gained with steriods, your bat speed gets faster and you will gain more power from your lower body generally making you hit the ball harder and farther than you ever have..

I wish that MLB took steriods as seriously as it should for I can really see who has the God given ability to perform on the field without any performance enhancing supplements. Not the players who are in the majors just because they took steriods. The sad part is that there are a lot of them in MLB.

Steriods helps tremendously in your performance. Your swing can always be adjusted due to your strength. The reason JP is a line drive/groundball hitter is because he utilizes his speed. If he was strong and could hit the homer regularly he would be able to adjust his swing into a more homerun swing. It is not hard.

Steriods helps in every aspect. Hitting wise you hit the ball a lot further and pitching you throw the ball a lot harder. I knew a kid who was throwing low 70s and then took steroids and started throwing mid to high 80s. All because of steriods.

I am not taking credit away from Bonds saying that he is a bad hitter because I am a true believer that Bonds was awesome before he started getting big. But steriods can make average to below average hitters great. Why is it that Ken Caminiti was an average player and then took steroids and won the mvp that year? Why is it that you think so many people are taking steriods so seriously?

If you played baseball you would know how much steroids can help you out. Tons of people are able to hit the baseball going 90 mph but not everyone can hit it 400 feet in the air. With the strength gained with steriods, your bat speed gets faster and you will gain more power from your lower body generally making you hit the ball harder and farther than you ever have..

I wish that MLB took steriods as seriously as it should for I can really see who has the God given ability to perform on the field without any performance enhancing supplements. Not the players who are in the majors just because they took steriods. The sad part is that there are a lot of them in MLB.

You are blowing it way out of proportion. It defies the laws of physics (and i plan 2 go into the field of physics after college so i know.) Steroids is just as overrated as corking a bat. so basically when maris hit 61 he MUST have been on the roids :rolleyes:

I'm no doctor, but don't steroids make your body fat % too small for man to attain naturally?

not at all.

standard steroid testing (piss, rarely blood) is really the only way to identify banned substances. of course the players union would never have that... douchebags. http://www.fitnessways.com/Anabolic%20Store.htm

testing can be tricked, look at the nfl. can you elaborate concerning the body fat thing?

Well this is a PERFECT example as 2 why steroids are overrated! Shefs career high in homers is 43. nothing out of this world and hes only had two 40 HR seasons in his career. the last coming 4 seasons ago! This is cold hard evidence that steroids are wayyyyyyyyyy overrated (if he is or every1 believes he took or is taking them)