Everything posted by mountainfish
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
This weeks round of Champions League games are pretty boring tbh Most of the teams to qualify have already been decided prior to Gameday 6 Bit of a shock last night in Panathanaikos topping their group over Inter Milan Mourinho implied that the group wasn't strong and so his players weren't feeling challenged. I think they were just too cocky. Bremen really out played them Tuesday and Panathinaikos has been very tough. Inter is going to have to get motivated for the knockout round because there are some teams that are really playing with some desire right now.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
By the way, Beckham is due to join Milan soon. Does anyone think he will get any playing time? With Ronaldinho and Kaka, where does Beckham fit in? Remember they lent out Yoann Gourcuff because there was a logjam there (I think Gourcuff is a great young player). I know Gattuso went down with a knee injury but he is a more defensive midfielder.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Werder Bremen salvaged an otherwise dismal Champions League showing with a victory over Inter 2-1, keeping them at least in the UEFA Cup. Now if only they would play better in the Bundesliga. But it will be tough with Diego out 3 matches. Although I will say Mesut Ozil looked good in his place today. Meanwhile, the Giallorossi move on with a solid 2-0 win against Bordeaux. Brighi and Totti ... again.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Former Tottenham and Sevilla head Juande Ramos takes over the Real Madrid coaching duties after Bernd Schuster gets the boot. Here we go again.... Let the Schust-ing begin...
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Huntelaar to Real Madrid. Another Dutchman for the Merengues. I think its a great pick-up but will they keep pace until he is available in January? good pick up, they really need a striker with the 80 year old Raul and the injured & old Ruud Van Nistelroy. An influx of young talent was needed. AJAX keeps banking from Real Madrid ... that's like 5 players that have come from there and all at a pretty high cost. Its just Huntelaar and Sneijder that came from Ajax. Drenthe came from Feyenoord, Robben from Chelsea, Van der Vaart from Hamburger, and Van Nistelrooy from Manchester United. The transfers were a tad bit high as the hunter cost 27 million Euros and Sneijder another 27 million. out of all those guys I still would have prefered Robinho ... regardless of how much of a pest he was. Robinho thought he was better than he actually is. He thinks hes the best player in the world when in actuality hes a better version of Denilson. Brasilian players are the most talented on the planet, but lack the heart and desire to be part of a team. Once they get big, the becomre primadonas, and once that happens, they get sent out on their asses. Happened to Robinho, happened to Ronaldo, happened to Ronaldinho, happened to Rivaldo, happened to Adriano. As much as I hated Julio Baptista as a player, I loved the fact that he knew his role and had no problem riding the bench as long as he did. Kaka is the ultimate Brasilian professional. He doesnt bitch, he goes to practice, he doesnt flirt with other teams. As far as having them on my team, I can do without them now. Ill take 20 Argentinean players on my club before I take 1 Brasilian. I wish Argentina had players as gifted with a ball as Brasil does. All Argentinean players do on clubs is win and become idols of the clubs they go to. Im not being a homer, but its amazing how adored they are. Carlos Tevez went to Corinthians (Brasil) and became team captain. How the hell does an Argie go to Brasil, play one season and become CAPTAIN? Then he moves to West Ham and puts the fans in the palm of his hand. Same with Mascherano at Liverpool. Jonas Guiterrez, the most random and above average player is a Newcastle idol. Messi at Barca? No need for words. Lavezzi in Napoli. Diego Milito in Genoa. Esteban Cambiasso and Javier Zanetti at Inter. Mauro Zarate for Lazio. Kun Aguero at Atletico Madrid. Not for nothing, but theyre easily the most adored club players in the world. You're such a homer :lol In general I would agree with you about Brasilian players and Argentinean players, although there are plenty of Brasilians who are good team players. Tevez just plays with so much desire its no wonder Maradona called him the Argentinean Prophet. He's the consumate team player.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Great match in Munich. Luca Toni snatches a victory for the home side in added time but Hoffenheim proves they are no fluke.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Huntelaar to Real Madrid. Another Dutchman for the Merengues. I think its a great pick-up but will they keep pace until he is available in January? good pick up, they really need a striker with the 80 year old Raul and the injured & old Ruud Van Nistelroy. An influx of young talent was needed. AJAX keeps banking from Real Madrid ... that's like 5 players that have come from there and all at a pretty high cost. Its just Huntelaar and Sneijder that came from Ajax. Drenthe came from Feyenoord, Robben from Chelsea, Van der Vaart from Hamburger, and Van Nistelrooy from Manchester United. The transfers were a tad bit high as the hunter cost 27 million Euros and Sneijder another 27 million. If you ask me I think van der Vaart was a steal at 13 million euros.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
oh and the best player in ManCity that the world hasn't really heard of is the man Elano. that kid can seriously ball and any team would be honoured to have him. The Anus. :lol I get it.
-
I can't believe It's been a year...
I've moved on.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Well speaking of Carlos Tevez - four goals in Carling Cup match vs. Blackburn. That'll give Sir Alex something to think about.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Rumour has it that Man City offered ?129m, yes ?129m for Iker Casillas however he personally rejected the move They're going to land a big fish dangling that kind of money. I don't doubt they can afford it. According to ESPN they have a big wish list including Messi, Kaka', Eto'o and Ronaldo. Doubt they'll get any of them. Tevez is a more likely option given his lack of playing time with United, I think.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Huntelaar to Real Madrid. Another Dutchman for the Merengues. I think its a great pick-up but will they keep pace until he is available in January? good pick up, they really need a striker with the 80 year old Raul and the injured & old Ruud Van Nistelroy. An influx of young talent was needed. AJAX keeps banking from Real Madrid ... that's like 5 players that have come from there and all at a pretty high cost. I havent seen much of Huntelaar but just by looking at his numbers, Im impressed. What this team needs is the balls to sit Raul down on the bench and start to build a strike force of Huntelaar-Higuain now. But of course thats not gonna happen. Now we just need sign a winger that doesnt break every other day and bring Garay back from his loan to Racing. Im not saying thats gonna solve all our problems, but damn we have had WAAAAAYYY too many injuries this season. Isn't Higuain out right now too?
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Huntelaar to Real Madrid. Another Dutchman for the Merengues. I think its a great pick-up but will they keep pace until he is available in January?
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
The US excuse is that since they had already won the GoldCup a week before, they already qualified for the Confederations Cup, which was the ultimate goal. And they had a better shot at it with the Gold Cup. So why even try to be in the Copa America? They knew they werent going to win it even with the best players. And to me, each team should only play in 1 tournament to qualify to the Confederations Cup/Club World Cup, because its unfair. Mexico would've done the same thing if put on the same situation. Put Penarol in the CONCACAF Club Cup and we'll win it. Or Uruguay in the Gold Cup, and we'll win it. Each country/team should only get ONE shot, and in their respective area. Unless Mexico/USA want to forfeit on the Gold Cup/CONCACAF Club Cup, I would not like to see them here again. I can't argue with that. I guess they had trouble getting players released from their clubs, for the other tournament, which put the US federation in a bind, but still, as you said, why even commit to play then? It's the fault of the USSF. As for MLS, it will be interesting to see how their commitment to pan-American soccer evolves if they add a Miami team. FC Barcelona seems very interested in exploiting the Ibero-American connection a club in Miami would have.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Houston Dynamo beat C.D. Luis Angel Firpo of El Salvador 1-0 in the home makeup game for their CONCACAF Champions League group stage. That boosted them into the knockout round. The draw for the knockout round quarterfinals will take place next Wednesday, December 10. Pool winners Atlante F.C. (Mexico), Club Santos Laguna (Mexico), UNAM Tigres (Mexico) and C.D. Marathon (Honduras) will be drawn to face pool runners-up C.D.S.C. Cruz Azul (Mexico), the Dynamo, Puerto Rico Islanders (USL-1, qualified via Caribbean Football Union) and Montreal Impact (USL-1, qualified via Canadian Championship). The New England Revolution and C.D. Chivas USA qualified for the preliminary round of the CCL, but both lost their qualifier series. The Revs lost to Joe Public F.C. (Trinidad), 6-1 (2-1, 4-0). Chivas lost to Tauro F.C. (Panama), 3-1 (2-0, 1-1). D.C. United qualified straight to the group stage with the Dynamo, but went 0-1-5, only able to muster a 2-2 draw on the road against Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica). Yeah DC United was quite an embarassment. When does the next round actually start? It's a shame there's not more interest in this competition. I wish they would open up Copa Libertadores to MLS teams. If Mexican teams get invited why shouldn't US teams. We've been invited to Copa America. They would probably lose badly but it would generate alot more interest in the US (maybe). But Mexican teams are more competitive than MLS teams. I would love it here, but its the sad truth. Maybe they'll try the US in the Copa Sudamericana, but who knows. Also, US is no longer going to be invited to the Copa America because of the embarrassment of last year. How could you bring a 3rd string roster? They are now discussing if Japan should get in for some reason. I would love for the US to return one day and being hosted right here. I would go anywhere to go watch the Uruguay squad. I agree on all counts. For my part, I think the US Soccer Federation is a joke. Copa America was as you said an embarrassment but only one of many embarassments perpetrated by the USSF. I wish MLS and USSF would take these competitions more seriously. I mean, if winning a Champions League match is more difficult that winning an MLS match then why take it so lightly? The same goes for USSF. They should be more fired-up to play in the higher level competitions. They'll call their best players for a friendly against the Bahamian team but send hackers and college kids to Copa America. I don't get it.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Match of the week will be Hoffenheim at Bayern Munchen on Friday. I love the Hoffenheim story but Bayern is playing really well right now.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Houston Dynamo beat C.D. Luis Angel Firpo of El Salvador 1-0 in the home makeup game for their CONCACAF Champions League group stage. That boosted them into the knockout round. The draw for the knockout round quarterfinals will take place next Wednesday, December 10. Pool winners Atlante F.C. (Mexico), Club Santos Laguna (Mexico), UNAM Tigres (Mexico) and C.D. Marathon (Honduras) will be drawn to face pool runners-up C.D.S.C. Cruz Azul (Mexico), the Dynamo, Puerto Rico Islanders (USL-1, qualified via Caribbean Football Union) and Montreal Impact (USL-1, qualified via Canadian Championship). The New England Revolution and C.D. Chivas USA qualified for the preliminary round of the CCL, but both lost their qualifier series. The Revs lost to Joe Public F.C. (Trinidad), 6-1 (2-1, 4-0). Chivas lost to Tauro F.C. (Panama), 3-1 (2-0, 1-1). D.C. United qualified straight to the group stage with the Dynamo, but went 0-1-5, only able to muster a 2-2 draw on the road against Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica). Yeah DC United was quite an embarassment. When does the next round actually start? It's a shame there's not more interest in this competition. I wish they would open up Copa Libertadores to MLS teams. If Mexican teams get invited why shouldn't US teams. We've been invited to Copa America. They would probably lose badly but it would generate alot more interest in the US (maybe).
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Question for catchoftheday or any Italian football fans. What does Marcelo Lippi have against Alessandro Del Piero? I guess Lippi got po'd at questions about why Antonio Cassano and Del Piero we're not called up for the Azzurri saying: ''Cassano and (Alessandro) Del Piero are among those footballers who have to wait and dream of the national team,'' the World Cup winning coach told Sky Italia. I mean, I can understand about Cassano. He's having a good year but he's a jerk. I was happy to see him leave Roma. But Del Piero is also having a good year, he's got more caps than most and in my mind he's a leader and an inspirational player. Why wouldn't Lippi want him on the team. I know there's alot of young talent in Italy but he's showing he can still play. Lippi has nothing against Del Piero, he used to coach Juventus for a long and very succesful spell while at the peak years of Del Piero and trust me he was indispensable for the club. The only problem for the magical Del Piero right now is his age. Unfortunately when you coach at the national level your aim and goal is to have younger guys at their "typical" peak years to be able to play in the world cup and at this point Del Piero is at the wrong side of 30. Also the fact that Italy has been playing with a lone target man up front with 3 supportive attacking midfielders does not help Del Piero's cause as a holding striker which is wierd considering Lippi's traditional approach to the 4-4-2 formation. Basically Italy is going through a youth movement right now with guys like Rossi, Acquafresca, Pepe, Lanzafame, Quagliarella and as far as veteran guys they have Di Natale & the re-birth of Gillardino. All those guys are getting chances at the national team level and honestly there isnt much new talent there besides New Jersey born Giuseppe Rossi. Either way I feel bad for Del Piero because he is literally playing as if he was 24 all over again. I think because he lumped him in with Cassano it just sounded like he was dis'ing Del Piero who really deserves nothing but respect IMO but maybe I took it out of context. I understand Del Piero is on the wrong side of 30 but what does that say about Toni, Camoranesi, Gattuso, etc. They're all playing well in there 30's. But I understand, Del Piero will be 36 in 2010 so it is unlikely he will be playing at the level he is now.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Awesome day of football today with Man City vs Man Utd and then Chelsea vs Arsenal I didn't get to see any of the Premier League games. Looks like Chelsea is on a bit of a downturn. I'm not unhappy about that. I was happy to see Man U take the Manchester derby though. In Serie A Roma continues to climb back up the table after looking pretty awful in the first half. Arsenal are becoming really unpredictable as shown in their win at Stamford Bridge Ronaldo was sent off in a strange moment in the Manchester derby when he handled the ball in the box from a corner as he was sure he heard the ref blow his whistle. I saw that he got sent off but I didn't know why. What happened to your Rangers?
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Guille wants to go back to Argentina. I hope he plays at least another year in MLS. Guille's Future
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Awesome day of football today with Man City vs Man Utd and then Chelsea vs Arsenal I didn't get to see any of the Premier League games. Looks like Chelsea is on a bit of a downturn. I'm not unhappy about that. I was happy to see Man U take the Manchester derby though. In Serie A Roma continues to climb back up the table after looking pretty awful in the first half.
-
Bobby Abreu "would love to play here"
:lol Hes going to get arbitration from the Yanks so he will cost picks, but Abreu's defense is not as horrible as expected. He was a former Gold Glover with Philly. His defense is now officially horrible. Not interested. I would rather look at Garret Anderson if we're going to spend money.
-
Hottest People
Sorry I almost forgot Jennifer Garner (I loved Alias) and Evangeline Lilly.
-
Hottest People
Angelina Jolie and Ines Sastre! Grrrr,baby! Very grrrr!
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Question for catchoftheday or any Italian football fans. What does Marcelo Lippi have against Alessandro Del Piero? I guess Lippi got po'd at questions about why Antonio Cassano and Del Piero we're not called up for the Azzurri saying: ''Cassano and (Alessandro) Del Piero are among those footballers who have to wait and dream of the national team,'' the World Cup winning coach told Sky Italia. I mean, I can understand about Cassano. He's having a good year but he's a jerk. I was happy to see him leave Roma. But Del Piero is also having a good year, he's got more caps than most and in my mind he's a leader and an inspirational player. Why wouldn't Lippi want him on the team. I know there's alot of young talent in Italy but he's showing he can still play.