Everything posted by mountainfish
-
Dan Meyer?
He was always viewed as a potential starter but he hasn't been able to deliver in that role so he 'll have to prove himself in the pen at least for now.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Stunning loss for Man City to Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup. I have some friends in Nottingham who are pretty giddy right now. They had been having a tough season after just being promoted to the Championship but maybe this will light a fire under them (a Forest fire - get it? :lol ) Gotta believe there's gonna be a shake up for Manchester City though.
-
Move the Marlins out of Florida
If you were a real Marlins fan, you wouldnt want us to move I don't think the location of the organization should determine how much of a fan I am. I've been a fan since the beginning and I am sure that I can spend the next 70 years of my life getting excited about recycling the team every few years for some young and upcoming stars, but I'd really like to see some team development and a packed stadium when I watch the games online. It just gets sad when the fans get really excited about a player and just as soon as he has proven his worth, he is sent elsewhere because the Marlins can't afford to pay his relatively small salary. Even sadder is the fact that most of the games have tiny crowds. Our single-A team in Grand Rapids attracts more fans than the Marlins on many nights. That just shouldn't be happening. Everyone keeps looking to a new stadium to solve all the problems, but that just won't do it. I think a new stadium is just a bad investment. It just isn't easy being a Marlins fan. Of course it should. Otherwise what is your allegiance to...the owner, the front office? It can't be the players, they change every few years. I don't live in SoFl but if the Marlins moved to another location I would stop cheering for them and I've been a fan since the beginning.
-
Derrick Turnbow
Turnbow's arm wil fall off...mark my words.
-
Hurricanes start cleaning house?
Now Marve is going. I never was too impressed with that kid. It's Jacory's team now.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
So Steven Gerrard gets arrested for beating up a DJ at a nightclub. Liverpool can't be too happy about the prospect of losing him for any amount of time. Don't know how it is in England but in the US the only way he'd be suspended is if he killed someone, ran a dogfighting ring or smoke a little marijuana (and I'm not sure about the "killed someone"). :whistle Worst bit about it is I have him on my fantasy team lol Dude, this has not been a good week for you!
-
Epic thread...
If that were originally on our forums it would be thread of the year...no doubt.
-
Hurricanes start cleaning house?
Year 1 he fires the DC he hired. Year 2 he fires the OC he hired. Both were bad hires... as was Shannon. No more scapegoats left. I doubt any up and comer or anyone with a proven track record will coach under Shannon. Yeah I agree. Lets hope he can recruit another good class and leave them for the next head coach b/c Shannon has at most one more season at the U.
-
Derrick Turnbow
I think this is a waste unless he signs a minor league deal. He has a bad shoulder which so far he has not had repaired as far as I know. He was plain awful in his only appearances last year. He's a Spooneybarger in the making.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
So Steven Gerrard gets arrested for beating up a DJ at a nightclub. Liverpool can't be too happy about the prospect of losing him for any amount of time. Don't know how it is in England but in the US the only way he'd be suspended is if he killed someone, ran a dogfighting ring or smoke a little marijuana (and I'm not sure about the "killed someone"). :whistle
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Old Firm derby: Celtic defeat Rangers 1-0. I wonder if Schnellders is out drowning his sorrow.
-
The Marlins HAVE TO make a move.
If I was a betting man, I'd say Dallas will probably be the one to go. And we get what for him? Would've been smart to just let the one with the least amount of potential (Helms) go...and sign another "veteran leader" that would actually fill a team need. Like...a catcher. Like...a backup left-handed hitting outfielder! We could've had a situation playing Cantu, Sanchez, & McPherson (platoon situations) & later dealing them at their highest value. I have to agree with gizmo. The silence regarding Dallas has been deafening. Even looking back to the late call up last year and the lack of ABs. I just think the organization has issues with him.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
I honestly dont know what the hell is going on with these transfers. On an even sadder note, here are the matchups for the Champions League round of 16: Villarreal - Panathinaikos Sporting Portugal - Bayern Munich Atletico Madrid - Oporto Chelsea - Juventus Liverpool - Real Madrid (news just keeps getting better) Inter - Manchester United Arsenal - Roma Lyon - Barcelona OK my picks: Panathinaikos (going with the upset) Bayern Munich Atletico Madrid Juventus Liverpool (sorry - I fear its too tough for the Merengues to salvage their season against this team) Manchester United (Inter is looking disorganized to me- probably the best match of the round though) Roma (as long as "Er Pupone" is back healthy by then) Barcelona (they are in their own world right now)
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Uruguayan League suspended. AGAIN. The last games which were supossed to be played today are going to be played next year. All because the police didnt approve any stadiums because of safety issues. About a month ago, we had it suspended for 3 weeks because of a fight inside the field after a game. Its an embarrasment What's the issue? The issues are violence, the goverment, and the Countries Soccer Association. Violence has dated back forever. About 10 years ago, Penarol fans assasinated a Nacional fan, and even today, they still make songs about him(More than half of the songs in the stadium are about his death actually). I dont know if any points were taken off Then 3 years ago, a Penarol fan assasinated a Cerro fan in a bus stop after a game, and we had 12 points taken off. Last year, Penarol was playing Danubio in Danubio's stadium, and a random fan(nobody knows which side it came from), threw a rock at the lineman, and the game was suspended. Penarol was discounted 3 points off of THIS tournament, and that is how far off the lead we are now with one game left. At the beginning of the year, a Nacional fan assasinated another one of their own for hanging out with a well known Penarol fan. The shooting happened 50 feet from the stadium.(no fine or points taken off). A little later in the year, Nacional fans vandalized the Penarol and Juventud buses, and injured some players(still no fines or points) They then had to play in Defensor's field and vandalized the whole stadium, and there were many people injured(still no fines or points). Then about 3 months ago, Nacional had to play Villa Espanola. The game was supossed to kick off at 3:30 PM. You are supossed to be at the field at least 5 minutes early. At that time, the referee made his assistants go to Nacional's locker room and tell them to hurry up. The coach rudely told him to get away. At 3:30 PM, the referee walked off the field and the game was suspended, giving the points to Villa Espanola. After the game, broadcasters were brutally injured. After 3 months of nothing, the game was played, with a Nacional win (No fine for the incident. 1 week before "El Clasico" between Penarol and Nacional, Nacional was to play Danubio. Both were tied for the lead. Danubio won 1-0. After the game, Nacional's fans went into the field and stole a Danubio flag. Danubio's fans, angry, stampeded onto the field and there was a fight using everything you can think of(even worse than the FIU-UM fight). (Nacional was taken 3 points off). The campeonato was suspended for 3 weeks, and El Clasico came with a questionable Nacional 1-0 win. Danubio and Nacional were tied for the lead with 1 game to go. Danubio had to play Penarol in a high risk(Security wise) match, and Nacional had to play a random team. Both games had to be played at the same time. Centenario Stadium was going to be used by Nacional, but there was no venue for Penarol-Danubio, since Nacional's field was suspended, and so was Danubio's(and those are the only decent fields in the country). Danubio offered to play with no crowd, but the police said no. So the tournament was suspended. The association is very corrupt. Nacional has many lawyers in there and they always vote in their favor. The police and the goverment get too involved(they didnt let us enter any flags or bombos into El Clasico. And the culture in Uruguay is sad. This is only building more tension. We need to go through what happened in England to have a real change That's too bad. Maybe the players should go on strike until they straighten out the security issues.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Uruguayan League suspended. AGAIN. The last games which were supossed to be played today are going to be played next year. All because the police didnt approve any stadiums because of safety issues. About a month ago, we had it suspended for 3 weeks because of a fight inside the field after a game. Its an embarrasment What's the issue?
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Congratulations to Manchester United for their victory in the FIFA Club World Cup but give LDU Quito some props for making a game of it. Looks like David Beckham will play his first Serie A game against my Giallorossi on January 11th. When talking about his return to toplevel competitiion he was very diplomatic about US soccer. "But I have always said that I would always miss playing at the highest level. I'm not saying that in America they won't get to the highest level - it will take time and it will happen. But with five months off during the season I personally can't do that. "I needed to be able to be playing top-flight football to keep myself fit, to keep myself in contention for other things that are going on.'' - David Beckham
-
Derrick Turnbow
Turnbow is damaged goods. Bad shoulder.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
I honestly dont know what the hell is going on with these transfers. On an even sadder note, here are the matchups for the Champions League round of 16: Villarreal - Panathinaikos Sporting Portugal - Bayern Munich Atletico Madrid - Oporto Chelsea - Juventus Liverpool - Real Madrid (news just keeps getting better) Inter - Manchester United Arsenal - Roma Lyon - Barcelona Ouch!
-
Website Updated
What's it say? "Building the Future"? Hey Admin, they stole the 2008 slogan. I think you should sue.
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
By the way, Beckham is due to join Milan soon. Does anyone think he will get any playing time? With Ronaldinho and Kaka, where does Beckham fit in? Remember they lent out Yoann Gourcuff because there was a logjam there (I think Gourcuff is a great young player). I know Gattuso went down with a knee injury but he is a more defensive midfielder. I hate to reply to my own post but I guess Gattuso has the same question I had.Gattuso on Beckham
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Whoa! El Mundo is reporting Cristiano Ronaldo will sign with Real Madrid this summer. Not sure what to make of this story. Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid
-
2008-09 Club Soccer Thread
Depressing watching Real Madrid play this year! And now they are set to buy Lassana Diarra from Portsmouth for a fee rumoured to be between ?20-24m Wayyyyyyy too much!!! Time to wake up and smell the desperation!
-
Starbrownies
Big up to Starbrownies. Takin' it like a man.
-
Marlins interested in Michael Barrett
please no!
-
Jeremy Hermida Possible Trade Thread
All 4 names on that list are awesome for Hermida. Two of them would be super. I could deal with a year of suck in LF or RF if we upgraded the pitching that much. It looks like Beinfest is trying to sell high on Hermida or not at all. Can't blame him for trying. As long as they don't give him away. good call. If someone wants to overpay let them. However, I worry about the state of our OF minus Hermida. I have to think that would absolutely compel us to bring someone else in. We could pick up somebody like Garret Anderson, who's still solid offensively and average defensively. I'd imagine he could be had for a 1 year contract considering his age, and he's not gonna get that much $$$. I'm sure we could fit him in w/o even trading Cantu. Could hypothetically put Helms in LF against LHP to give Anderson the days off he'll need. But, I'm not sure if Helms could actually play LF, I just know that we've stuck him out there a few times haha. I heard Garret Anderson was looking for a 3 year deal and a fair amount of jingle $$. Not that he'll get it but Boras is his agent isn't he? Otherwise I like Anderson as an option.