Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I can't believe It's been a year...

Featured Replies

since Miggy and Dontrelle were traded. Pretty much since they were brought up, I dreaded the day they would get too expensive and go elsewhere. I hoped that the Marlins would for once forget about being cheap and sign them long-term (more-so Miggy than Dontrelle) but it just wasn't meant to be. I'll never forget standing in the middle of Times Square that night and reading the headline. Can't believe It's been this long already.

Well, the front office certainly showed its intelligence by not signing pitchers to long-term deals (imagine if we gave D-Train 5 years, $50 Million after 2005). BUT, it still boggles my mind that what Miggy did here after two years didn't deserve a pre-arb contract. If we had gotten Cabrera locked up during or after the '05 season it would have been huge, in terms of production and savings.

Let go of all your emotions and let the waterfall run... it will make you feel better.

since Miggy and Dontrelle were traded. Pretty much since they were brought up, I dreaded the day they would get too expensive and go elsewhere. I hoped that the Marlins would for once forget about being cheap and sign them long-term (more-so Miggy than Dontrelle) but it just wasn't meant to be. I'll never forget standing in the middle of Times Square that night and reading the headline. Can't believe It's been this long already.

 

 

Need a tissue?

Thanks for renewing my feelings of anger and sadness, Louie.

 

:|

 

As gizmo said, I try not to think about it.

BUT, it still boggles my mind that what Miggy did here after two years didn't deserve a pre-arb contract.

 

 

Conducing business based on what players deserve is a horrible way to run a baseball team.

BUT, it still boggles my mind that what Miggy did here after two years didn't deserve a pre-arb contract.

 

 

Conducing business based on what players deserve is a horrible way to run a baseball team.

 

I think its safe to say that there would have been mutual rewards between both parties. Miguel performed well enough in his first few years to be locked up as a franchise centerpiece.

BUT, it still boggles my mind that what Miggy did here after two years didn't deserve a pre-arb contract.

 

 

Conducing business based on what players deserve is a horrible way to run a baseball team.

 

I think its safe to say that there would have been mutual rewards between both parties. Miguel performed well enough in his first few years to be locked up as a franchise centerpiece.

 

 

I loved Miguel as much as anyone, but when you run a franchise like the Marlins, it's hard to commit the large sums of money a guy like Cabrera would demand due to the moderate risk he carries with him.

BUT, it still boggles my mind that what Miggy did here after two years didn't deserve a pre-arb contract.

 

 

Conducing business based on what players deserve is a horrible way to run a baseball team.

 

I think its safe to say that there would have been mutual rewards between both parties. Miguel performed well enough in his first few years to be locked up as a franchise centerpiece.

 

 

I loved Miguel as much as anyone, but when you run a franchise like the Marlins, it's hard to commit the large sums of money a guy like Cabrera would demand due to the moderate risk he carries with him.

 

I supposed the "risk" is that he is large-bodied. We committed a large amount of money to Hanley, whose consistent shoulder problems also might amount to risk. There is risk involved in every player but Cabs was so young when he started producing an incredible level that it is foreseeable that he could have played out a long contract with the Marlins and still hit the free agent market at around age 30, by which point I'm not sure if his weight would impair his offensive production. As far as injuries go, Cabs has been as reliable as they come. I just don't believe that there is much that is going to keep Cabs from producing for many years. Even though he has gotten as graceful as a whale, he still seems to play the game with a passion.

BUT, it still boggles my mind that what Miggy did here after two years didn't deserve a pre-arb contract.

 

 

Conducing business based on what players deserve is a horrible way to run a baseball team.

 

I think its safe to say that there would have been mutual rewards between both parties. Miguel performed well enough in his first few years to be locked up as a franchise centerpiece.

 

 

I loved Miguel as much as anyone, but when you run a franchise like the Marlins, it's hard to commit the large sums of money a guy like Cabrera would demand due to the moderate risk he carries with him.

 

I supposed the "risk" is that he is large-bodied. We committed a large amount of money to Hanley, whose consistent shoulder problems also might amount to risk. There is risk involved in every player but Cabs was so young when he started producing an incredible level that it is foreseeable that he could have played out a long contract with the Marlins and still hit the free agent market at around age 30, by which point I'm not sure if his weight would impair his offensive production. As far as injuries go, Cabs has been as reliable as they come. I just don't believe that there is much that is going to keep Cabs from producing for many years. Even though he has gotten as graceful as a whale, he still seems to play the game with a passion.

 

 

His value also diminishes with him moving off of third base too, which is another risk the Marlins considered. You can find good production at first for very cheap. A premier position like third, short, CF or catcher it's very hard and why Hanley deserves the money more than Cabs.

 

Not that I think it matters but they also had club house issues with Cabrera.

I wasn't really debating Hanley versus Cabs, just wanted to make a point. Production at 1B is easy to come by, but Cabrera is still actually one of the top hitters in the league no matter where he plays. He has Hall of Fame written all over him if he can continue to produce. What he produced at such a young age puts him in an elite bracket. His value is as a hitter, there is no doubt about it.

 

I would argue though that while Hanley isn't limited physically, he really isn't much better at fielding his position than Cabrera was at is. Hanley doesn't even look to be a more than average defender because he just doesn't have the ability to track down balls in the hole that many other shortstops can.

I wasn't really debating Hanley versus Cabs, just wanted to make a point. Production at 1B is easy to come by, but Cabrera is still actually one of the top hitters in the league no matter where he plays. He has Hall of Fame written all over him if he can continue to produce. What he produced at such a young age puts him in an elite bracket. His value is as a hitter, there is no doubt about it.

 

I would argue though that while Hanley isn't limited physically, he really isn't much better at fielding his position than Cabrera was at is. Hanley doesn't even look to be a more than average defender because he just doesn't have the ability to track down balls in the hole that many other shortstops can.

 

Hanley was 9th in MLB in range factor. There is NO way you can say he doesn't/didn't track down balls that other shortstops do.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fieldi...mp;seasonType=2

Don't let your eyes fool you as far as his range is concerned. Sure, he makes more errors than we would like. And maybe perception is affected by the way he looks so effortless in all phases of the game. Still doesn't provide any rationale for the idea that he's average or below at "track[ing] down balls in the hole that many other shortstops can."

Yea, Hanley's got some range. It may not look like it, considering he's a 6-foot-3 SS with a real big stride when he moves compared to a Reyes or Furcal, who look a lot quicker due to being vertically challenged.

It never really botherd me that we traded them i kne it would happen eventually. I liked dontrelle more than miggy even thouh migggy was better dontrelle seemed to really love the game

After Maybin shows his true worth this year, threads like this will disappear.

 

That doesn't mean that some of us won't miss Miggy. I still mourn the loss of Beckett even though that trade worked out pretty darn well and if Sanchez gets back on track it could look really great. I always thought that Beckett was the keeper and Willis was the one who would fizzle. I was right.

I'm over it. I was more saddened about Willis than Miggie, to be honest. Not because I thought that he was better, but because I always felt Dontrelle would love to play here for the rest of his career and that Miggie would have left the first chance he got. It's similar to how I felt about Beckett.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.