Everything posted by dim
-
Puig on waivers
I'll state once again how much Mattingly hates Puig. Trading for him would basically be like bringing a car with no brakes into Monday morning traffic. You're just waiting for things to get out of hand. Literally the first thing you get when you type Mattingly and Puig into Google is how they didn't talk to each other at the end of last season. If it wasn't for Mattingly I'd be completely on board with trading for him. Talented player who's available at the lowest point of his value. Some team's going to take a smart, calculated risk on him and likely see it pay off. It just can't be this team.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
Greatest reliever ever.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
I remember him getting called up in 2010 when he was something like 20 years old. Definitely rushed and hurt his overall development. It was also wrong to get rid of him in the first place instead of letting him figure things out in the bullpen. Same thing that is happening to him happened to Andrew Miller. We don't exactly have the best pitching development team in Miami.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
My question is what is the definition of paid? I'd imagine he will want to be paid like a top 5 MLB third baseman. The fifth highest salary for a third baseman in baseball is $12.1 million. I have no problem giving him that much money spread over 2 or 3 years. However, if he wants to be paid like Pablo Sandoval and Adrian Beltre ($17.6 million and $18 million respectively) we're gonna be in some deep trouble trying to re-sign him.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
I've doubted Koehler's ability to be consistent for over three years now so I'm just keeping with tradition. I also like Urena, but he's always screamed relief pitcher and possibly a good 8th inning guy even while he was in the minors. Phelps is doing amazing as a starter and likely has cemented a starting rotation spot to start next season, but long term he really excels in that 7th/8th inning role. I feel as if long term he's an average starter (4th/5th starter) but an above average setup man. Unfortunately I think necessity will keep him in the rotation even if he starts to tail off.
-
MLB.com Midseason ReRank of Top Prospects
I'm obviously late to the party on this one but Austin Brice is severely underrated on this list. Out of all the guys in our system, the players I see becoming long term major league players are Brice, Anderson, Peters, and maybe Castillo in a relief spot. I can't say anything for Garrett since I haven't seen him pitch. Riddle could eventually become a MLB bench player and Poteet has shown some potential very early in his development. Other than that I've got very little to say. Truly a scary lack of depth in the system and it is the team's fault (and they know that). If Peters doesn't skyrocket through the system (and he won't) and the team continues to push Flores/Brice in bullpen roles, the team has no choice but to sign some starting pitchers in free agency to start next season.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Q9od04k7M
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
In terms of long term, I'd say Gordon, Realmuto, Yelich, and Stanton are the long term players. I love Ozuna and Prado has been awesome this season, but Prado is getting up in age and Ozuna is streaky while having great value right now. Bour did great this year but I'm not sure how sustainable it is (although we have no legitimate 1st baseman alternatives in the system so we should keep him). Hech has to go and I've said it forever. The bullpen is fine and can be built with the team we currently have. The rotation is a cluster f*ck and will need some overhauls going into next season. Fernandez and Conley should be guarantees, and Chen will probably get another opportunity, but the team should look to trade Koehler and find two new starters for next season. Sucks Austin Brice was converted to reliever because I think he is a great sleeper candidate to be a good major league starter.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
He also hasn't been getting regular at bats in a long time. Losing ABs can't be good for him (although there isn't a place to put him).
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
I disagree. I don't see the issue as lack of improvement, rather to me it's more of just an unbalanced lineup. Guys like Hech and Johnson playing regularly kill rallies. We've been putting Realmuto in spots where he shouldn't be hitting at times, and with Stanton being both bad and out for this season there's been a lack of a middle of the lineup power threat (I don't see Ozuna as a serious threat although a good player).
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
I get that fact. I'm not a purist who goes old school stats. I've said in this thread alone the team lacks power beyond Stanton (Oz and Bour are fine but Yelich should be a 25 HR player), has major problems drawing walks and don't do well with RISP. That said batting average is a sign that the coaching staff has done a good job with mechanics at the plate, leading to more line drive hits rather than pop ups and bouncers. Power can grow over time and discipline, while difficult, can be taught. Mechanics are an often overlooked aspect that is huge when it comes to overall hitting. It has been apparent watching the games that guys like Dietrich and Prado have leveled out their swings this season, and Ozuna's swing is less of an uppercut this year. EDIT: I also love how compact Realmuto's swing has been this season, but he's always had a nice compact swing that I liked dating back to his minor league days. I think pitch selection was something he needed to improve and he's done so this year.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
That said I'm fine with him not being manager anymore and Mattingly with his experience is an improvement. But given his performance and the team he was handed he deserved at least the rest of 2015 to fix things. I'm just impressed with how a lot of our hitters have improved their contact abilities this year with Mattingly and his coaching staff in charge. Big improvements in that regard.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
The problem with Redmond is that he had a young roster that he had overperform in 2014, leading to inflated expectations in 2015. Honestly, I don't think there was anything wrong with Redmond. His in-game decision making was meh but he wasn't terrible as a manager. If I'm being honest it was unfair to him that he wasn't given more time to right the ship in 2015.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
I wouldn't say the offense is brutal. 3rd in major league baseball in batting average. Problem is they don't draw walks, have below average power and score a league average amount of runs. All in all it is a talented offense with flaws. Today it has shown but overall in the season the offense has helped carry a starting rotation with major problems.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
He's the lead in the coaching staff. Any improvements with existing players goes to their respective coaches, which includes Mattingly (who watches them in practice every day and always has final say over adjustments). I think it's completely wrong to not give him credit for those improvements because of disagreements with his in-game decision making.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
7 hits through 4 IP but no runs is crazy to me. The team still has problems with not drawing walks or getting big power hits when needed.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
I don't even mind Mattingly in-game, but the improvements him and the coaches have had on our players is far more important than any in game decisions. The fact that guys like Dietrich, Prado, Ichiro, Ozuna, Realmuto, etc... have improved so much over their previous seasons work says a great deal about the coaching staff. The patchwork done with a starting rotation that was incomplete at the start of the season (and still is) while staying in a playoff spot cannot be understated. I have no issues with Mattingly as a manager. I firmly believe he's gotten the best out of a lot of our players and has this team playing at the level they should be at (as opposed to guys like Jennings, Fredi, etc... who often had the team playing below expectations). I'm completely happy with the season.
-
Dillon Peters
I've been a big fan of Peters since drafting him. He was a guy that would've been taken higher but fell due to injury. I've felt like he was one of our highest potential prospects all year. He's been really impressive this year and seems like he's a future major league rotation guy.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
Even if he did nothing wrong, he showed that he didn't have what it takes anymore. I remember him just looking tired all the time and not really having his head in the game anymore. It also really felt like he was just thrown into the position and wasn't interested in actually doing the job. All in all nostalgia only goes so far. Mattingly is an actual manager right now. Obviously love McKeon, but his days of managing have been long gone for a while (it is obvious that '03 was basically a last run for him).
-
Prospect Of The Month, July 2016: Kyle Barrett
He has a .670 OPS on the season. Plus he's 23 in low A ball. Wouldn't call him a prospect worth following right now.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
We tried the whole "Bring Jack back" thing. It was a trainwreck and he showed he didn't belong managing anymore. Mattingly is fine. Whatever it is he and the coaching staff have helped bring the most out of a lot of offensive players this season. Definite improvements in necessary spots.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
Brotha from anotha motha.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
It's all good fam.
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
Saying wrestling is fake is the ultimate sin. Exposing the business. Also "who's the guy with the crazy hair?" That's the 5 time, FIVE TIME, WCW Champion Booker T suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
-
8/27 Padres @ Marlins 7:10 PM
Man's batting .353. Don't know if that's the guy to be trashing at the moment.