Loria talks about stadium

fishtank

I remember someone mentioning a rumor about a UM professor who said he was on a "stadium committee" and that the Marlins had struck a deal in which the Miami Arena site was agreed upon. Now that Samson is mentioning Miami again, who knows if there is some legitimacy to this claim

Here's a story from the Herald as well.

Loria makes loudest push

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria makes his most vocal pitch for a new stadium, saying: `Everyone has to get this damn thing done in the next 30 days.'

BY BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@herald.com

On the eve of the team's regular-season opener, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria on Monday made his most vocal and spirited pitch for a new stadium.

''Everyone has to get this damn thing done in the next 30 days,'' Loria said. ``Miami is a major city.

``They got it done in Seattle and San Diego and Cincinnati and Pittsburgh and Colorado and Philadelphia and Milwaukee. They all have new stadiums, and we're not going to consider ourselves a major-league city until we get it done.

``I'm optimistic it's going to happen. Enough time has gone by, and Miami needs to do something like the rest of the major-league cities.''

Loria declined to say what he would do if there is no stadium deal in place by the team's May 1 deadline.

The Marlins estimate it will cost $325 million to build a retractable-roof stadium -- and they are $115 million short.

Marlins president David Samson said Monday it is ''very possible'' the team could start building a stadium with the money it has available, and worry about adding a roof at a later date. Later in the day, Samson said that idea ''is not on the table right now,'' but said ''everything would be considered'' before May 1.

Starting construction on a stadium without the financing in place for a roof isn't appealing to the team.

''We have always said we have to ensure we are building something attractive for 40 years,'' Samson said.

Samson took a mild shot at lobbyists who have criticized the team's strategy in not using lobbyists to pursue money from the state legislature.

''There's a lot of crying and sour grapes by people who were not hired [by the Marlins],'' Samson said.

State Senate president Jim King has said the Marlins will not be given a $60 million tax rebate during this legislative session.

Samson took a mild shot at lobbyists who have criticized the team's strategy in not using lobbyists to pursue money from the state legislature.

''There's a lot of crying and sour grapes by people who were not hired [by the Marlins],'' Samson said.

attacking lobbyists now, are we?

i should give samson a huge can of stfu for passover

attacking lobbyists now, are we?

i should give samson a huge can of stfu for passover WTH Does that mean. Lobbyists are criticizing the team and the Samson has every right to rebuke them. And possibly make a little fun of them...

Seems to me that Samson is beginning to realize that time is running short and the proposals presented to them may be the best ones he's going to get. I hope they do get offered something better than the OB, but if that's all they got, then beggars can't be choosers.

The Marlins have been standing tough in negotiations, maybe it's time for all sides, including the Marlins, to give in a little and do something right so we can "get this damn thing done" already.

Seems to me that Samson is beginning to realize that time is running short and the proposals presented to them may be the best ones he's going to get. I hope they do get offered something better than the OB, but if that's all they got, then beggars can't be choosers.

The Marlins have been standing tough in negotiations, maybe it's time for all sides, including the Marlins, to give in a little and do something right so we can "get this damn thing done" already.

Accepting the OB on anything near the terms offered by the City of Miami (the City controls, naming, concessions and parking) was actually worse than their existing lease at PPS and would be the deathnell of the team.

Not to mention you can't there from here ("here" being anywhere in South Florida).

I love how you so called fans want the team to accept any stadium deal and you constantly say "beggers can't be choosers." Give me a break. As if Huizenga or Arison or George Steinbrenner don't strong arm to get the best deals for them. You resent Samson for wanting a great stadium for the Marlins, even if it's another bad deal. As fans, you whine if they can't sign Pudge because there is no money. Without a first rate stadium to bring in the dollars, this team won't sign the Becketts and Cabreras in the near future. If you think the Marlins are beggers now, see how Miami and south Florida acts if the Marlins do leave. See how this market turns and begs for baseball like they did 15 years ago. The Marlins deserve a real ballpark, not a take it or leave it park. If the community doesn't want them, then both sides walk away. Big league ball leaves and no one is to blame because the front office did all they could and the community made priorities that keeping the team didn't really matter. Keep this in mind, if it wasn't for Samson and Loria, the Marlins would be gone already. No one was chomping to buy this team when Henry first sprang contraction on us.