Rob Neyer Writing

Flamarlins3

1B: Hee Seop Choi

I've been reading for at least two years that Choi "gets tied up by high heat" ... at least according to (always anonymous) scouts. I even read recently that Choi will wind up losing his job to Wil Cordero, which is laughable because Cordero can't hit right-handed pitching. And in case nobody's noticed, there are a lot of right-handed pitchers out there.

Yes, Choi has struggled in the majors, but that's in only 252 at-bats. Derrek Lee, Choi's predecessor in Miami, got off to an even worse start in his career. At exactly the same point, age-wise, Lee's OBP and slugging percentage were .305 and .384, and that was in 726 at-bats (entering this season, Choi was at .337 and .401). I'm not saying that Choi's going to be Lee, but he's got a chance to be even better.

From his article about how he made mistakes on certain players. Saying he has chance to be better than D Lee is saying a lot. Oh well I'm glad he is on our side now :D .

I saw this too. Didnt want to restart the debate of Lee vs. Choi. It is overdone. But this is very favorable for us if you look at the stats to date. And Neyer is right on asking how this guy goes from prospect to bust in less than a year. Something I have been confused by myself.

people are making too much of a deal about lee's defense. lee is a phucking 1st baseman alright. that's the position where you hide the players who can't play defense because it's so easy to play. lee was good at 1st base, so what. it's still 1st base, not short stop.

people are making too much of a deal about lee's defense. lee is a phucking 1st baseman alright. that's the position where you hide the players who can't play defense because it's so easy to play. lee was good at 1st base, so what. it's still 1st base, not short stop.

first of all, i dont think anyone here in this thread is fighting over which is better so calm the f* down. And you obviously have not played first base because its not "easy" as you say. If ANY position is "easy", that would be right field and thats a big IF...because we're talking about major league baseball here, not high school baseball.

first of all, i dont think anyone here in this thread is fighting over which is better so calm the f* down. And you obviously have not played first base because its not "easy" as you say. If ANY position is "easy", that would be right field and thats a big IF...because we're talking about major league baseball here, not high school baseball. what do u mean calm down? when did i lose my cool? stop being defensive.

and yes, 1st base is easy to play, easy compared to all the other positions. right is actually difficult, because all the balls slashing away and the need of a strong arm. left field is actually easier than right field is (unless u r playing in yankee stadium). that's how much baseball u know.

dood your hatred of Derrek is really showing here

yea 1B is easy to play, but Derrek, JT Snow, Meinkeivicwz, and Helton steal so many runs playing 1B

maybe it is you, who does not know

yea 1B is easy to play, but Derrek, JT Snow, Meinkeivicwz, and Helton steal so many runs playing 1B

maybe it is you, who does not know me hating? why, because i'm stating a fact? sure lee is better defensively, and nobody can say otherwise. but a bigger deal is being made about a 1ST BASEMAN than it should be made. it is still 1st base. i think you need to grow up.

maybe it is you, who does not know me hating? why, because i'm stating a fact? sure lee is better defensively, and nobody can say otherwise. but a bigger deal is being made about a 1ST BASEMAN than it should be made. it is still 1st base. i think you need to grow up. i agree orisha 100%

maybe it is you, who does not know me hating? why, because i'm stating a fact? sure lee is better defensively, and nobody can say otherwise. but a bigger deal is being made about a 1ST BASEMAN than it should be made. it is still 1st base. i think you need to grow up. do you even watch baseball?

DLee saved so many runs for us last year especially on all those errant throws for Luis, Sea Bass and Lowell

and why do I have to grow up?... because I disagree with you?

remember, i hate derrek lee

maybe it is you, who does not know me hating? why, because i'm stating a fact? sure lee is better defensively, and nobody can say otherwise. but a bigger deal is being made about a 1ST BASEMAN than it should be made. it is still 1st base. i think you need to grow up. do you even watch baseball?

DLee saved so many runs for us last year especially on all those errant throws for Luis, Sea Bass and Lowell

and why do I have to grow up?... because I disagree with you?

remember, i hate derrek lee most 1st basemen in the league more often than not scoop up the ball. even kevin millar when playing 1st picked it up most often than not.

this may be a breakthrough but i agree with ramp. Orisha you need to take your non baseball knowledge ass outta here. We would not be WS champs if we did not have lee last year.He saved at least 15 games or so with his defense alone.Whether is was a bad throw by a infielder or hard liner that he robbed down the line,he saved many games and Lee has established himself as the best defensive1st baseman in the league.What kinda statement is "its just 1st base"? oh its just 2nd its just 3rd its just OF.A position is a position and first baseman do more work than anyone on the field as they are involved in the majority of the plays.If hes not taking care of his area hes scooping bad throws. Orisha you have lost all credibility in terms of knowledge.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!

Insanity seems to be running rampant here. First off all, Lee did NOT save 15 games last year. That is ridiculous. This is a team sport. The ONLY player capable of making a team improve by 15 games is Barry Bonds. That is it.

Dont forget, Castillo, Gonzalez AND Lowell are ALL Gold Glove caliber defenders. Sure, Lee makes a couple of saves - but the guy is 6'5" and presents a huge target. Choi is...6'5" also, and is just as capable of fielding balls as Lee. He may not have the range or reactions, but those two balls that got by Choi the other day - only one was remotely fieldable. And if Lee would have gotten to it last year, back in '98 he wasnt going to get to it. In other words, it is experience that has taken its toll with Lee. He knows hitters and their capabilities as well as the pitchers on this team. Choi is brand new - be PATIENT!

Now, Orisha is totally wrong in saying 1B is easy. I do agree though that anyone can go over and play 1B - but to play it well is another story. And a good defensive 1B is valuable - just like Lee was last season (but to attribute 15 wins specifically to his D is proposterous).

Choi will get there defensively. Defense is all about footwork and experience. He will get that in time. Plus he is a very good hitter and has already shown an ability to drive in runs when they are needed - not when we have a 4 run lead.

Again, if we must do this Lee vs. Choi thing - I want out. But let's not be ridiculous in our arguments.

Now, I will go back to being the invisible man...