Is Beinfest planning on making a move?

DTrizzle

Nothing major is happening until the first week of June. At that point, teams will be able to effectively evaluate where they are and they'll begin collecting offers on their tradeable parts.

I'm as pissed as anyone right now, but I know that it's just not reasonable to expect a major out of system fix right now. We may see some major call-ups before we see some major trades...

They have to be trying to work something out. I'm sure they know that there is a problem. I'm expecting them to make a move soon because if we just leave it like this than things are going to get much worse and I dont want to fall too much behind...were tied with the Phils so lets not wait until we really need to make some moves to make the moves...lets try and make the moves as soon as possible.

This is ridiculous, the Marlins suck right now...

If we want to be a competitor we need either a bat (Jason Kendall) or a good reliever...

Does anyone know FOR SURE if Beinfest is working on it?

Is it definite that it will happen?

So now tied for first middle of May sucks?

Great fan.

I agree I'd like to see a move, but don't you think ya need to have faith in Bienfest after last season?

Seriously, we NEED to get rid of Castro or Gonzo's bat.

I say trade Gonzo. Yeah, his defense is great, but he's had plenty of time to prove he's a good hitter and he just can't. At least Castro has potential. He's just now becoming an everyday starter. But if Kendall replaces him, forget what I said. >_>

Guest Jack1

Our position players are in one hell of a SLUMP. You can't win regardless of how well your pitchers pitch if you don't score runs! That's a fact!

ive been saying the trade gonzo for a long time defense wont always win u games and theres plenty og good SS that can hit.

We saw yesterday an example of where Alex's defense can prevent runs.

Alex was replaced by Easley in the 5th on a double switch when Bump replaced Oliver.

In the 6th, Matheny hit a soft grounder in the hole that went under Easley's glove, scoring Edmonds. Over the past week, Alex reached balls that were hit more sharply and further into the hole...and not only got to the ball, but threw the runner out on superb throws.

That's the difference. Easley allows a run where Alex likely gets the out.

Alex's range and arm are superb. If he were the only bat in the line-up struggling, it wouldn't be that big of an issue.....but add in Castro (Redmond), Conine, Choi and Castillo...and his troubles at the plate are magnified.

This is ridiculous, the Marlins suck right now...

If we want to be a competitor we need either a bat (Jason Kendall) or a good reliever...

Does anyone know FOR SURE if Beinfest is working on it?

Is it definite that it will happen?

So now tied for first middle of May sucks?

Great fan.

I agree I'd like to see a move, but don't you think ya need to have faith in Bienfest after last season? Shut the f*** up

everyone on this board knows we have a problem

ive been saying the trade gonzo for a long time defense wont always win u games and theres plenty og good SS that can hit.

We saw yesterday an example of where Alex's defense can prevent runs.

Alex was replaced by Easley in the 5th on a double switch when Bump replaced Oliver.

In the 6th, Matheny hit a soft grounder in the hole that went under Easley's glove, scoring Edmonds. Over the past week, Alex reached balls that were hit more sharply and further into the hole...and not only got to the ball, but threw the runner out on superb throws.

That's the difference. Easley allows a run where Alex likely gets the out.

Alex's range and arm are superb. If he were the only bat in the line-up struggling, it wouldn't be that big of an issue.....but add in Castro (Redmond), Conine, Choi and Castillo...and his troubles at the plate are magnified.

That's right.

Alex's bat isn't the problem. Choi, Conine and Castro's AND AGon's bat collectively is the problem. His defense has indeed been stellar, he's shown that again and again in the last week.

It was allows popular to say that DLee saved us run at 1B. I never subscribed to that notion and I still don't. On the otherhand I do believe, and concur with you) that Gonzalez has saved this team aton of runs so far this season. Your example makes that point well.

I would like to see guys on base ahead of him, I'd like to see him bunting more, but in his defense (something you won't hear from me too often) coming up with no one on and one or two outs with the pitcher coming up next allows opposing pitchers to work him hard.

i feel like a trade is a nice idea as a concept, but if you really look at our team right now, it's darn near impossible that one could happen. i divide our team into the following groups:

- irreplaceable bats: Lowell, Cabrera, Pierre. These three guys are studs, and obviously not the reason for our problem.

- slumping bats: Castillo, Conine. Unfortunately, we just gotta wait these guys out, and quite frankly, we are likely going to live or die by their bats more than anyone else's.

which brings us to the only places we could realistically expect to get better: Choi, Gonzalez, and Redmond\Castro.

Now...Choi had 9 homers, 15 runs and 20 RBI. Granted, he's hitting .220-something right now, but in light of the other numbers, he has earned the right to play through whatever he's going through right now. To put it in perspective, Derrek Lee hit .237 in April. If we still had Derrek Lee, and he was putting up the numbers Choi has put up, we would be thrilled at his power production, and we would be waiting for him to bust out of his slump and start producing again. we gotta give Choi the same freedom to fail a little bit.

So really, at this point, the only position we can improve our bats is SS and Catcher. And yeah, i'd love to see better numbers than we're getting from those positions, but the problem is this - there's a reason why we're getting cruddy numbers from those spots. the reason is - catchers and shortstops don't hit well. and, if they do, their teams are not trading them. The Cards are not sending Renteria our way. The Yanks ain't trading Jorge Posada. Is it worth giving up value from our farm system to get one of the Alex Cintron's or Brad Ausmus's of the world? Really? If there's a catcher or a shortstop out there on the market, there's a reason he's on the market. Teams pretty much never move guys who can hit at those positions.

There is one guy who is a realistic option for us - the only player in all of MLB at either of those positions who A) honestly has talent and B) whose team would consider trading him, is Jason Kendall. But wait a second....didn't we already refuse to pay another Pudgy catcher (who was MUCH more talented than Kendall, btw) $10 million per year until 2007? and now suddenly it's a smart move to give that same money and more to Kendall? Plus, here's a news flash for everyone - Jason Kendall ain't all THAT great. He's a .300-hitter with mediocre power. He's never had more than 14 homers in a season, even when his lineup wasn't crap. He's a slightly better incarnation of what we have now in Mike Redmond, except he can steal bases (great, that's exactly what we need to solve our problems....more stolen bases), and he costs $10 million instead of $800K.

So what's the moral of this story? I think that, as far as hitting goes, we're just plain stuck, folks. We are going to go as far as this team, and specifically, Niner and Castillo, can take us. If we were the Yankees or the Mets, we would have given Pudge $10 million over 4 years, had him batting 3rd and Cabs hitting 5th this year, and our lineup would have been devastating (we would have also sold our soul to Satan, but that's another story...) But we're not, we're the Marlins. Our task is to succeed in the face of huge disadvantages. It's frustrating as hell for us fans, but i just don't see any other choice.....

Redmond has never played more than 90 games in one season.

Kendall has played near 150 games and batted over or at .320 3 times in his 9-year career.

He has only had 2 seasons in which he has hit less than .290, in which his OBP was still good being at least .335

Kendall has played near 150 games and batted over or at .320 3 times in his 9-year career.

He has only had 2 seasons in which he has hit less than .290, in which his OBP was still good being at least .335

If I hear one more time about Jason "I'm the most overpriced ballplayer since Damion Easley" Kendall I'm gonna get me a gun. :whistle

Kendall is scheduled to make $8 million this season, $10 million in 2005, $11 million in 2006 and $13 million in 2007. For those of you mathematically-challenged, that's $42 million over four years. He'll be 35 years old in the final year of his contract.

Let someone else take him off the Pirates hands. Anyone but the Fish.

If I hear one more time about Jason "I'm the most overpriced ballplayer since Damion Easley" Kendall I'm gonna get me a gun. :whistle

Kendall is scheduled to make $8 million this season, $10 million in 2005, $11 million in 2006 and $13 million in 2007. For those of you mathematically-challenged, that's $42 million over four years. He'll be 35 years old in the final year of his contract.

Let someone else take him off the Pirates hands. Anyone but the Fish. You gotta realize that if the Marlins go after Kendall, atleast half his salary would probably be paid for.

:whistle

Let someone else take him off the Pirates hands. Anyone but the Fish. You gotta realize that if the Marlins go after Kendall, atleast half his salary would probably be paid for.

:whistle He would still be over paided if the Pirates were to cover half his salary. 21 million for 4 years for a no power, contact hitter and crappy defesive catcher is not what I exactly call good.

So he gets on base at a good clip, is that worth nearly 6 million a year.

I dont think so.

Look, this team is struggling. Every team goes through a slump. I would much rather it now than later. The Marlins had a terrible start last year and ended up winning the World Series. Right now, we are still hanging around 1st place - and the Phillies are hot right now. All we got to do is weather the storm and we will get back on track.

No big deals are necessary.

What is going to give you a chance to win is pitching and defense. Our defense can help eliminate the other team's offense and our pitching does the same by limiting the other team's effectiveness. But you wade through the offensive struggles and you will get yours.

I have said all along, and STILL no one hears me - just make some minor changes to the lineup and we will be fine. Here, for the millionth time, is what I propose:

JP

Castillo

Conine

Lowell

Cabs

Choi

AGon

Castro

P

Yes, AGon ahead of Castro. Sea Bass is a fastball hitter and is going to get absolutely nothing to hit in front of the pitcher (unless Dontrelle is up there). You have got to try and put him in a better position to hit. Also, Castro will come around and in the meantime, give Redmond LESS time. We have some guys struggling (Choi, Castro) and both need to play more in order to snap out of it. You will lose in the short term, but gain big in the long term.

The only thing we really need is another dependable arm in the bullpen. I am telling you, we could have Mantei if we just make a solid offer and get Arizona to eat some of his salary. They are way out of contention and gave the job to Valverde. Mantei would be a ridiculous set up man for Benitez and would get it back quick here in S. Fl.