US Kills 40 Iraqis at Wedding

miami15

U.S. Reportedly Kills 40 Iraqis at Party

By SCHEHEREZADE FARAMARZI

Associated Press Writer

Posted May 19 2004, 3:24 PM EDT

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- A U.S. helicopter fired on a wedding party in the remote desert near the border with Syria, killing more than 40 people, most of them women and children, Iraqi officials said. The U.S. military said it was investigating.

Associated Press Television News footage showed a truck containing bloodied bodies, many wrapped in blankets, piled one atop the other. Several were children, one of whom had been decapitated.

The attack occurred about 2:45 a.m. in a desert region near the border with Syria and Jordan, according to Lt. Col. Ziyad al-Jbouri, deputy police chief of the city of Ramadi. He said between 42 and 45 people died, including 15 children and 10 women. Dr. Salah al-Ani, who works at a hospital in Ramadi, put the death toll at 45.

The area, a desolate region populated only by shepherds, is popular with smugglers, including weapons smugglers, and the U.S. military suspects militants use it as a route to slip in from Syria to fight the Americans. It is under constant surveillance by American forces.

Iraqis interviewed on the videotape said revelers had fired volleys of gunfire into the air in a traditional wedding celebration before the attack took place. American troops have sometimes mistaken celebratory gunfire for hostile fire.

Lt. Col. Dan Williams, a U.S. military spokesman, said the military was investigating.

"I cannot comment on this because we have not received any reports from our units that this has happened nor that any were involved in such a tragedy," Williams wrote in an e-mail in response to a question from The Associated Press.

"We take all these requests seriously and we have forwarded this inquiry to the Joint Operations Center for further review and any other information that may be available," Williams said.

The video footage showed mourners with shovels digging graves over a wide dusty area in Ramadi, the provincial capital where the bodies had been taken to obtain death certificates. A group of men crouched and wept around one coffin.

Al-Ani, the doctor, said people at the wedding fired weapons in the air, and that American troops came to investigate and left. However, al-Ani said, helicopters later arrived and attacked the area. Two houses were destroyed, he said.

"This was a wedding and the (U.S.) planes came and attacked the people at a house. Is this the democracy and freedom that (President) Bush has brought us?" said a man on the videotape, Dahham Harraj. "There was no reason."

Another man shown on the tape, who refused to give his name, said the victims were at a wedding party "and the U.S. military planes came... and started killing everyone in the house."

In July 2002, Afghan officials said 48 civilians at a wedding party were killed and 117 wounded by a U.S. airstrike in Afghanistan's Uruzgan province. An investigative report released by the U.S. Central Command said the airstrike was justified because American planes had come under fire.

Das you wanted a spin, here you go - it was a gay wedding and they were all liberals at that.

Could we really put soilders into our battlefields that have some form of intelligence?

highly unlikely.

however i see they convicted an NCO for the prisoner treatments.

still no word on any non-NCO's getting in trouble.

Sadly, this probably won't get much coverage either or at least not as much as some of the other recent happenings in Iraq.

When it comes to The Iraqi People and their tragedy's, we seem to want to push that aside, instead play up situations involving Americans or scandals. Not the people who we are supposed to be liberating.

Its war and war isn't pretty. I feel horrible that things like this happen but the war effort must push on. The military makes mistakes sometimes. Let's finish the job so we never have to go back in there again.

spin away...spin away.

collateral damage....no need to worry about it.

but heaven forbid we suffer any.

:rolleyes:

Its war and war isn't pretty. I feel horrible that things like this happen but the war effort must push on. The military makes mistakes sometimes. Let's finish the job so we never have to go back in there again.

The war is over. Basically we're fortifying at this point. Don't give me that war isn't pretty line. They didn't decide to say their vows on a battlefield for Christ's sake.

This is despicable, if true.

The article messed up but there is a new one on CNN.com saying that its about 20 people not 40. Also the military says it responded to hostile fire.

Das what am I supposed to do? The war is beneficiary to the country of Iraq in the long run. War sucks but the country needed it.

The article messed up but there is a new one on CNN.com saying that its about 20 people not 40. Also the military says it responded to hostile fire.

Das what am I supposed to do? The war is beneficiary to the country of Iraq in the long run. War sucks but the country needed it.

You wouldn't be saying this if it was YOUR family. Period.

Quit taking this as us vs. them and take it as the fact that 20 people died because of this bulls***. But, it helps them in the long run, so what if those kids can't live to see another day, right?

Bet nobody comes on here with their gung-ho, go Red, White and Blue responses like they did after the Nick Berg incident.

beneficary because we said so?

i dont recall the people in the region clamoring for our assistance.

i guess its b/c democracy in some form is better.

we better go make sure democracy exists all over the world.

bush = return to imperalism.

Spin come on people...dont talk about spin, the left are the one's who created this.

Bush is the Devil.... :confused

Your right though, voting for Kerry will fix all of our problems. If the Stone wins in November prepare to get Sh**** on by every country we are enemies with.

Please do not post this and close the thread for the following reasons:

-Its unpatriotic

-Bad for soldiers morale

-Just the media making a big deal out of nothing

-If we have to kill every Iraqi to bring them democracy that isnt really democracy then thats what we have to do.

-They should be grateful and stop b***hing.

-Its bad for Bush's reelection.

thats just wonderful.

since the conservatives wanted to spin the finding of sarin into something supporting their cause....

i want to see their spin on this one.

No spin here from a Bush supporter.

That is a terrible thing. :( I'm sure it was NOT on purpose, but damn that's just awful. :(

It sounds like a terrible tragedy, and I don't want to sound cold-hearted, BUT.....

What special kind of stupid do you have to be to run around firing weapons when you are in a war zone that is frequently populated by arms smugglers and militants?

I mean, c'mon. DUH! And don't give me that cultural crap, either. The Koran says nothing about the need to praise God at weddings by firing any weapon you can get your hands on in the air.

Sounds like a case of social Darwinism to me.

the military claims that some of their ground forces actually encountered heavy fire from the targets. the military then came in with gunships and took out the "enemy safe house" at 3 AM in the morning. they then searched the place and found tons of weapons and tons of iraqi and syrian currency.

i don't know what that all means, but i'm curious what sort of "wedding party" could be going on at 3 am in the morning when the target was fired upon.

all of last night's and this morning's news programs are reporting that the military strongly denies the "wedding party" claim, though both sides seem to be in agreement on the number of casualties. whatever really took place, i get the impression there's more to this story than just some random case of misfiring by the US military.

spin away...spin away.

collateral damage....no need to worry about it.

but heaven forbid we suffer any.

:rolleyes: Why are we in Iraq?

Spin come on people...dont talk about spin, the left are the one's who created this.

Bush is the Devil.... :confused

Your right though, voting for Kerry will fix all of our problems. If the Stone wins in November prepare to get Sh**** on by every country we are enemies with.

I'm not sure Kerry would be doing much of anything different. An honest opinion from a liberal.

the military claims that some of their ground forces actually encountered heavy fire from the targets. the military then came in with gunships and took out the "enemy safe house" at 3 AM in the morning. they then searched the place and found tons of weapons and tons of iraqi and syrian currency.

i don't know what that all means, but i'm curious what sort of "wedding party" could be going on at 3 am in the morning when the target was fired upon.

all of last night's and this morning's news programs are reporting that the military strongly denies the "wedding party" claim, though both sides seem to be in agreement on the number of casualties. whatever really took place, i get the impression there's more to this story than just some random case of misfiring by the US military.

Hopefully this is the case. I sure hope that these people killed were up to something bad.