T-Mac to the Spurs?

Rebirth

T-Mac To The Spurs?

SpursReport

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

That didn't take long.

The Spurs have just begun their off-season and already, the roster move speculation has already begun. One televised rumor involves San Antonio and Orlando.

While appearing on Fox Sports' Best Damn Sports Show, New York Post columnist Peter Vescey said the Orlando Magic- fearing Tracy McGrady's departure at the end of his contract- may soon be trying to find a partner for a sign-and-trade deal.

Named to the All-NBA First Team, Tracy McGrady led the league in scoring and minutes played and was voted a starter for the Eastern Conference at the 2003 NBA All-Star Game.

McGrady has reportedly listed San Antonio as one of four franchises where he would like to be traded.

"McGrady has decided not to stay with Orlando after this year," said Vescey. "I know that for a fact.

"So he's been basically gathering a few teams together in his mind- where he'd like to play. He's picked out three teams, really four, but I can't count the Lakers because I can't see them ever giving the compensation that Orlando would need."

According to Vescey, McGrady will reportedly tell Orlando officials that he would re-sign if the Magic could then trade him to Phoenix, Houston or San Antonio.

"He'd love to play with Duncan," said Vescey, "They (the Spurs) would have a difficult time compensating Orlando also, but if you have Ginobili you could do a sign and trade with Manu."

One recent report had the Suns ready to swap Olympian Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson and a No. 1 pick for McGrady, but another source says that: "The Suns aren't willing to do any deal other than Marion straight up. Johnson is not and will not be included."

Any deal with the Rockets would involve point-guard Steve Francis.

"Be careful Manu," said Vescey. "You may sign there (with the Spurs) but end somewhere else."

Whether McGrady has a long-term future with the Magic is likely to be an issue for several months. Orlando General manager John Weisbrod made it clear before the Magic's season-ending 95-89 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers that he would prefer to get the matter resolved, one way or another, this summer.

"My one job is to make sure he doesn't leave and we get nothing at the end of next season," Weisbrod said. "There are an awful lot of variables between now and then that could take this thing one way or another, and I just want to start that process as early as possible."

"This is home, and I really enjoy playing here in Orlando," said McGrady, who missed the final nine games of the season with a sore knee. "The fans are great, it's a great organization, just great people here in the city... I don't want to leave. But I'm also a competitor and I want to win. So I don't know what I want to do."

Spurs fans are discussing this rumor in the fan forum right now.

Link

Whoa...this would be great for the Spurs. Duncan would have a better go-to guy and possibly the Best Duo in the NBA.

this is not exactly new news.....

mcgrady and the spurs have been rumored as possible dance partners for a few months now.

i dont think it happens personally.

mcgrady has a bad back and for a player still in his mid 20s settles for too many jumpers when he should be attackign the basket.

McGrady overrated?

He was banged up this year so what, that doesn't mean his back will hamper him the rest of his career.

T-Mac is absolutley sick and it is mazing he averagesd 25 points a game with the joke of a team put around him. How many times was this guy double teamed this year?

If McGrady goes to the Spurs I am read yt oconcede the championship for next year.

McGrady overrated?

He was banged up this year so what, that doesn't mean his back will hamper him the rest of his career.

T-Mac is absolutley sick and it is mazing he averagesd 25 points a game with the joke of a team put around him. How many times was this guy double teamed this year?

If McGrady goes to the Spurs I am read yt oconcede the championship for next year.

McGrady also had a bad back last year also I beleive.

if I'm a Magic fan (which I am), I want Marion, Johnson, and a #1 pick. I'm also interested in that Houston trade involving Stevey Franchise.

T-Mac is total badass. Top 5 player in the league hands down. He is one of the few players who actually uses that rare thing called a mid-range jumper. He isn't scared to shoot from one step inside the 3 point line.

if I'm a Magic fan (which I am), I want Marion, Johnson, and a #1 pick. I'm also interested in that Houston trade involving Stevey Franchise.

T-Mac is total badass. Top 5 player in the league hands down. He is one of the few players who actually uses that rare thing called a mid-range jumper. He isn't scared to shoot from one step inside the 3 point line.

Agreed.

Manu for McGrady isn't enough at all. I would want him and tony parker plus some picks....

Agreed.

Manu for McGrady isn't enough at all. I would want him and tony parker plus some picks.... if I were to even consider trading Mcgrady to the spurs. I would want Ginobli, Rasho, and maybe a first round pick. I would definitely do that Phoenix deal.

Agreed.

Manu for McGrady isn't enough at all. I would want him and tony parker plus some picks.... if I were to even consider trading Mcgrady to the spurs. I would want Ginobli, Rasho, and maybe a first round pick. I would definitely do that Phoenix deal. rasho may be going to the other coast if spur fans have their way ;)

if I'm a Magic fan (which I am), I want Marion, Johnson, and a #1 pick.? I'm also interested in that Houston trade involving Stevey Franchise.

T-Mac is total badass.? Top 5 player in the league hands down.? He is one of the few players who actually uses that rare thing called a mid-range jumper.? He isn't scared to shoot from one step inside the 3 point line.

Agreed.

Manu for McGrady isn't enough at all. I would want him and tony parker plus some picks.... if I were to even consider trading Mcgrady to the spurs. I would want Ginobli, Rasho, and maybe a first round pick. I would definitely do that Phoenix deal. rasho may be going to the other coast if spur fans have their way ;) I just want the magic to have a legitimate center. I'm sick of seeing Steven Hunter.