marlins bullpen

legacyofCangelosi

The bullpen after a tremendous start began to falter pretty much during that san francisco series and then after. however the marlins bullpen seems like it may actually be pretty solid and the pieces are falling into place. For example Benitez has been unotuchable, but after him Perisho seems to also be finding a niche not only against lefties but against all hitters. Phelps if he returns to the pen is solid in long relief situations. Oliver remains to be seen. Borland looks like he will perform well out of the pen with his funky arm angles. Chad Fox will soon return further solidifying the pen. I guess Bump who has been struggling this year is still a question mark, but with improved control this ground ball pitcher may be able to turn it around. This is just a brief analysis to get a post going, what does everyone think?

The bullpen after a tremendous start began to falter pretty much during that san francisco series and then after. however the marlins bullpen seems like it may actually be pretty solid and the pieces are falling into place. For example Benitez has been unotuchable, but after him Perisho seems to also be finding a niche not only against lefties but against all hitters. Phelps if he returns to the pen is solid in long relief situations. Oliver remains to be seen. Borland looks like he will perform well out of the pen with his funky arm angles. Chad Fox will soon return further solidifying the pen. I guess Bump who has been struggling this year is still a question mark, but with improved control this ground ball pitcher may be able to turn it around. This is just a brief analysis to get a post going, what does everyone think?

I would still like to see them go out and get another arm. Fox returning will help, but think they need one more righthanded set up man.

Spooney had the surgery late last season, so usually the minimum someone is out is like 10-12 months

and he recently had a setback so its unlikely we see him this year Doesn't it suck to have to pay players even when they're injured for such a long time? Thank god he's not a really expensive player, or his situation could've been even worse for the team.

Spooney would have been a huge lift for the bullpen but he had some tissue break loose and he wont pitch this year. I would like to see Bump step it up because than we dont have to spend that much money on a quality reliver. If he cant get it done I say we either give Neu a chance or try and acquire another arm.

Interesting writing about Perisho on the Sun Sen. Sorry if it's been posted already...

PERISHO ENDURES

Left-handed reliever Matt Perisho made the Marlins in spring training for one reason: Get left-handed hitters out.

So far, so good.

Left-handers are 1 of 19 against Perisho, who along with Armando Benitez shared in Tommy Phelps' one-hitter Wednesday.

Perisho (3-2, 1.80 ERA) is second in the NL with 28 inherited runners, allowing just four to score for a 14.3 percent rate. He has nine strikeouts and five walks against left-handers, including three walks to Barry Bonds.

One of the walks to Bonds came on a questionable call with the bases loaded that contributed to a 6-3 loss on May 1, and another led to the winning run in a 9-8 loss on May 2.

"I had him struck out on two of those," said Perisho, who hasn't allowed a run in his past five outings. "In the past I put too much emphasis on not being able to get [left-handers] out instead of just pitching.

"Now I attack and challenge them with all of my pitches on both halves of the plate."

Perisho, a converted starter who struggled with the Angels, Rangers and Tigers since 1997, said the art of pitching seemed to click in winter ball last year.

The combination of finally facing left-handers on a regular basis along with the confidence shown in him by Marlins manager Jack McKeon and pitching coach Wayne Rosenthal has aided his turnaround.

"As a starter for eight years in the minors, I wouldn't see a left-handed hitter for a month," said Perisho, who entered the season with a 4-14 record and 7.07 ERA. "I always believed that if someone gave me the ball on a consistent basis, I'd be there when they need me to."

Perisho had a history of control problems but has allowed just two walks in his past 11 appearances.

"We didn't know what we were getting this spring," McKeon said. "He's done a marvelous job and has bailed us out in key spots."

Guest Juanky

Spooney had the surgery late last season, so usually the minimum someone is out is like 10-12 months

and he recently had a setback so its unlikely we see him this year Doesn't it suck to have to pay players even when they're injured for such a long time? Thank god he's not a really expensive player, or his situation could've been even worse for the team. There's insurance for a reason man

Perisho (3-2, 1.80 ERA) is second in the NL with 28 inherited runners, allowing just four to score for a 14.3 percent rate. He has nine strikeouts and five walks against left-handers, including three walks to Barry Bonds.

lol, wait til rferry reads this. He's always talking about how Perisho is always getting bailed out by our other pitchers. Guess it's the other way around.

lol, wait til rferry reads this. He's always talking about how Perisho is always getting bailed out by our other pitchers. Guess it's the other way around. That stat was what impressed me the most too!

Fox is on the 60 day DL.

Once on that he must remain out for at least that amount of time regardless of whether he's ready to pitch sooner. From what I've heard his conditin has not improved markedly and we may not see him back until August if then.

In short, don't count on Fox riding in on a white stallion to save the day anytime soon. If we're lucky, look to mid-August.

Fox is on the 60 day DL.

Once on that he must remain out for at least that amount of time regardless of whether he's ready to pitch sooner. From what I've heard his conditin has not improved markedly and we may not see him back until August if then.

In short, don't count on Fox riding in on a white stallion to save the day anytime soon. If we're lucky, look to mid-August.

My guess is that we won't see him this year, and I give him a 50/50 chance of ever pitching again. I know the injury doesn't SOUND serious, but he's had a history of arm problems, and this may be one too many.

lol, wait til rferry reads this. He's always talking about how Perisho is always getting bailed out by our other pitchers. Guess it's the other way around. Using more advanced metrics Perisho actually ranks below Nate Bump and Justin Wayne in preventing inherited runners to score. Alas, sample size comes into play because the amount of one-batter and one-inning outings relievers see. So it's hard to tell, but it's pretty clear Perisho has had luck on his side if none of his leftover baserunners (0-12) have yet been allowed to score.

Nothing wrong with Perisho. Absolutly no complaints when he's facing lefties, but I'd still say he ranks below Phelps (who hasn't had the opportunity to pad him stats facing lefties). And I still think that Perisho should be the lefty we sent to AAA if we can't trade Oliver. We don't want to carry 3 lefties in the bullpen as it leaves in the same position we were in when the 'pen blew up out in Colorado and San Fran which left Perisho to come in extra innings to intentionally walk the only lefty he faced and get battered around by righties.

But aside from all that he's done a good job and he's been a bright spot in a decent bullpen.

"Perisho Endures"...

The dude abides? :mischief You be the judge...

As far as our pen goes, it will come together. I think you can look to two arms arriving in the near future - Mike Neu and Ben Howard. Both of these guys have pretty good arms and can be reliable out of the pen. Throw in AJ when he returns, and you have the option of having either Oliver, Phelps or, sigh, Willis in the pen. Let me say that putting Willis in the pen would be a big, big mistake. He is a STARTER and I dont think the front office has any reason to change that. There is no one better for one and I think Willis is going to put up very good numbers when all is said and done this year. (pssst...be patient!!)

Fox is on the 60 day DL.

Maybe he does what he does last year and give the bullpen a huge lift for the late season...but marlins definitely needs at least one more dependable guy.