If You Were The Marlins GM..

El Guapo

ok this one is for serious people only...i dont wanna see oliver for bonds kind of crap in here...seriously if this was your job what you do right now to make this team better...what offers would you make....lets see what you guys got....lets see who got the brains in this forum...

I'd be trying to get Kendall. The Bucs would have to eat a lot of his contract so we're gonna have to give up a lot.

Pirates get:

Jason Stokes (I know a lot of you guys don't want to get rid of him, but he strikes out way too much and doesn't walk enough, he's blocked in by Choi and if you think we could move him to the outfield, Hermida is a gonna be a better player anyways.)

Abe Nunez

1 of our good pitching prospects at Jupiter.

Marlins get:

Jason Kendall (Bucs eat half of the contract)

Brian Meadows

I'd be trying to get Kendall. The Bucs would have to eat a lot of his contract so we're gonna have to give up a lot.

Pirates get:

Jason Stokes (I know a lot of you guys don't want to get rid of him, but he strikes out way too much and doesn't walk enough, he's blocked in by Choi and if you think we could move him to the outfield, Hermida is a gonna be a better player anyways.)

Abe Nunez

1 of our good pitching prospects at Jupiter.

Marlins get:

Jason Kendall (Bucs eat half of the contract)

Brian Meadows

:confused Would the Pirates bite?

I would offer Jason Stokes, Olsen and Hutchinson for Beltran. (Murphy is untouchable for me)

I would then try and shop Abe Nunez for some relief. Since this will most likely be to a non-contending team, they should gladly give us a more expensive pitcher for a young, ready prospect like Nunez. So your candidates would have to be higher priced pitchers on non-contending teams looking for young outfielders. (dont have any candidates at the moment)

I dont know if the above would be enough to land Beltran, but his value will never be higher and Stokes gives them a lot of options (DH, 1B, OF). Olsen and Hutchinson can both pitch for KC right now and give solid innings.

For us, I would plop Beltran into LF (normally plays CF) and Conine would become a super-sub for LF, RF, 1B. Lineup would look like this:

Pierre

Castillo

Beltran

Lowell

Cabrera

Choi

Gonzalez

Treanor

P

Bring Conine in for lefties for Choi and give off-days to Cabs and Beltran. We are paying a lot of money for Conine at this point, but it would make the most sense for what we need to do now. The offense should improve dramatically as now the 3-6 hitters are all capable of hitting 25+HRs and can give you different looks with the addition of Conine at 1B as far as righty/lefty pitching is concerned. (I am more sold on Conine's ability to hit in the clutch and down the stretch and not so sure that Beltran will. I also dont know if we could afford Beltran next season, so this may be more like the Uggy rental than anything)

The starters are fine and will be more effective when you get them some offense. Teams will have no chance scoring runs then. The bullpen, as long as it gets to Benitez, will be effective and with more ability to score runs, the shortcomings and inconsistencies will be more likely to be overlooked.

I would offer Jason Stokes, Olsen and Hutchinson for Beltran. (Murphy is untouchable for me)

I would then try and shop Abe Nunez for some relief. Since this will most likely be to a non-contending team, they should gladly give us a more expensive pitcher for a young, ready prospect like Nunez. So your candidates would have to be higher priced pitchers on non-contending teams looking for young outfielders. (dont have any candidates at the moment)

I dont know if the above would be enough to land Beltran, but his value will never be higher and Stokes gives them a lot of options (DH, 1B, OF). Olsen and Hutchinson can both pitch for KC right now and give solid innings.

For us, I would plop Beltran into LF (normally plays CF) and Conine would become a super-sub for LF, RF, 1B. Lineup would look like this:

Pierre

Castillo

Beltran

Lowell

Cabrera

Choi

Gonzalez

Treanor

P

Bring Conine in for lefties for Choi and give off-days to Cabs and Beltran. We are paying a lot of money for Conine at this point, but it would make the most sense for what we need to do now. The offense should improve dramatically as now the 3-6 hitters are all capable of hitting 25+HRs and can give you different looks with the addition of Conine at 1B as far as righty/lefty pitching is concerned. (I am more sold on Conine's ability to hit in the clutch and down the stretch and not so sure that Beltran will. I also dont know if we could afford Beltran next season, so this may be more like the Uggy rental than anything)

The starters are fine and will be more effective when you get them some offense. Teams will have no chance scoring runs then. The bullpen, as long as it gets to Benitez, will be effective and with more ability to score runs, the shortcomings and inconsistencies will be more likely to be overlooked.

If this happens, I would get Cabrera out of the RF in a hurry

Beltran will be a free agent at the end of the year. There is NO way the Marlins will be able to re-sign him to a long term deal. Too give up argueable three of our top five prospects for a rental player would not make sense.

I would target Kendall. At least we know he would be locked in. I think he would fit in well and bring some competitive fire to a team that IMHO needs a spark. We need a leader to step up (Lowell and Conine are not vocal leaders).

The biggest problem we will have is that teams still believe they are in the race. We will have to make due until the All-Star break when teams realize they are out of it and begin to dump pending free agents and salary.

Another name to throw out is Matt LeCroy of Minnesota. Might he be expendable with Mauer returning from the DL?

Jrgti, you better get your tool of choice out. I'm on the horn with the yanks and LA hammering out the closing details. I may have to include Frank Gracesqui to get the dodgers to bite...

ROFL....lets see ill need my rifle,flashlight,shoval...

No on beltran....

Too much for a rental...

Conines rbis will come around...the entire team is slumping now

if we trade for a bat it should be a cather

or if we trade for an OFer then Conine should be a part of that deal so not too many prospects would have to be dealt

the jaque jones deal that was posted earlier would be a kind of deal that could be pulled off

No on beltran....

Too much for a rental...

or if we trade for an OFer then Conine should be a part of that deal so not too many prospects would have to be dealt

the jaque jones deal that was posted earlier would be a kind of deal that could be pulled off

Conine has way less trade value than the prospects. He's 38 years old.

No on beltran....

Too much for a rental...

Conine has way less trade value than the prospects. He's 38 years old.

yes but we would be trading him to a contending team who needs help NOW

Conine is good in the AL where he can DH play 1st or OF

like i said, a couple of prospects would have to go too, just not as many

Guest Guest

Jeff Conine should retire as a Florida Marlin and not anything else. This trade would never happen anyway, nor do I want to see Jeff go anywhere.

Jeff Conine should retire as a Florida Marlin and not anything else. This trade would never happen anyway, nor do I want to see Jeff go anywhere.

I dont think this trade would ever happen either

But if a deal comes along and niner can be involved, he should be.... no time to get sentimental

You guys got it all wrong...

The offense will come together in a matter of time. If we trade for any offense at all it shuld be Kendall at catcher.

The real man we want is Guardado of the Mariners setting up for Benitez

ESPN says he is up for trades

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.