Why not Wilkerson?

It could.

They are hitting lefties better than righties this year, but the year is only a 1/3 old and they dominated lefties last year over the course of a full season.

Break down the stats, I would like to see those figures. Because I think the sample size is too small and also not telling of what kind of offensive team the Marlins are.

I dont see any reason to think a lefty in the 3 hole would hurt this team. And I havent seen any reason to think otherwise from anyone, although I understand your concern it seems like micro-managing.

Wilkerson's very very good. I believe last year he led the league in pitches per plate appearance.

Although I don't it helps that much. Catcher and the bullpen are more pressing needs. And as a lefty Wilkerson doesn't make the ideal 3-hole hitter for us.

How does Wilkerson not make an 'ideal' 3 hitter being lefty? What does that have to do with anything? And why would he have to hit 3?

And dont you think if we scored about 1 run per game, our catching situation would not look as bleak nor would our bullpen be so stressed as to throw a shutout everytime they go out there? Improving the offense only makes the pitching that much better. This is a very sensible way to do it. so putting Wilkerson in the lineup in place of Conine or Choi once in a while is going to give the offense an extra run per game?

i didn't realize he was so good!

:whistle

I just posted this under Cape's 'I have a feeling...' thread.

I think we should just make a deal for Brad Wilkerson. I dont think it would take much more than Hutch and KEVIN Olsen at this point.

What do y'all think?

I like it, but I think a Stokes and Hutchinson for Wilkerson and relief pitcher(Rocky Biddle?) will get this deal done.

I just posted this under Cape's 'I have a feeling...' thread.

I think we should just make a deal for Brad Wilkerson. I dont think it would take much more than Hutch and KEVIN Olsen at this point.

What do y'all think?

I like it, but I think a Stokes and Hutchinson for Wilkerson and relief pitcher(Rocky Biddle?) will get this deal done. Rocky Biddle has been terrible for the spos this year, and they have no reason to give up Wilkerson.

If you want to talk about a more realistic lefthanded hitting option than you should talk about Jeromy Burnitz.

No thanks. Burnitz is getting just what he needs in Colorado - thinner air. He wont help us too much.

Wilkerson is CHEAP and YOUNG. He has 10 HR but is hitting .230+ right now. I think he will be a very good hitter, he hits a lot of doubles and has plate patience. And I dont see why he is so untouchable! The Expos are out of it, and they have very little talent in their system and they need to replenish it in order to stay competitive until they get a buyer.

I am glad to see that Edcanes sees something in this. I think Biddle would be an interesting pickup, he seems to have a live arm and that is always good. But I would be just happy with getting Wilkerson and I think anything more than that the Expos would decline.

Getting 3 starters for 1 is a good thing if you are 'economically challenged' like the Expos are.

But I dont expect this deal to happen, just something to debate about and to think about.

May I also add that Wilkerson only makes $375,000 and is still a young guy.? The Expos really have no reason to trade him.

He is cheap - for now. There is no reason to believe he will stay that way though. And with Tomo Ohka going down, the Expos need pitching.

Hell, I agree that K Olsen and T Hutch would be cheap - but a very good starting point. Throw in Abe Nunez...maybe even Damian Easely...

Man, I should be GM...

And Wilkerson would play. I would put him in LF as a platoon with Conine and use Conine to spell Choi at 1B, and even Cabs in RF. Wilkerson could even play some CF to spell JP. You're going to give up two pitching prospects, an alledged five tool bench player, and throw in one of the best hitting middle infielder bench players in the league, for Wilkerson? I'm glad you're not the GM. That's quite a package you put together. No, that would be either Damion 'The Omen' Easely or Abe Nunez.

And dont BS me. You know, in fact have been a big propenent yourself, that Abe is not a five tool player. Sure, he has speed and power, but beyond that, it is hard to say.

The other thing is if we get Brad Wilkerson, we would have to find something for Conine AND Easely to do. If you include Easely, you should pick up someone else too from the Spos.

The fact is, Wilkerson would be a better fit than Beltran at this point. And we wouldnt have to give up much - I think K Olsen and T Hutch is good enough, but if the Expos want a bat to replace him, they can have Nunez - who would be expendable after acquiring Wilkerson.

Of course you wouldnt want me as GM. But then again, you miss the old days of losing 100 games too... :D The fact that I think Abe Nunez is not a ML player doesn't discount the fact that he has some value in a deal. I'm not BSing anybody. If you give up two pitching prospects and Nunez, and then throw in Easley, who is probably one of the most consistent players so far this season, you are giving up an awful lot, and not getting all that much in return.

I have no idea what you mean by "you miss the old days of losing 100 games too". Why would I miss that? Because I'm trying to discuss your statement?

BTW how is a guy who is hitting .230 going to help this offense? Because he's hit some HRs? He only has 26 RBI with 10 HRs. Trading for Wilkerson would be an act of incompetence.

May I also add that Wilkerson only makes $375,000 and is still a young guy.? The Expos really have no reason to trade him.

He is cheap - for now. There is no reason to believe he will stay that way though. And with Tomo Ohka going down, the Expos need pitching.

Hell, I agree that K Olsen and T Hutch would be cheap - but a very good starting point. Throw in Abe Nunez...maybe even Damian Easely...

Man, I should be GM...

And Wilkerson would play. I would put him in LF as a platoon with Conine and use Conine to spell Choi at 1B, and even Cabs in RF. Wilkerson could even play some CF to spell JP. You're going to give up two pitching prospects, an alledged five tool bench player, and throw in one of the best hitting middle infielder bench players in the league, for Wilkerson? I'm glad you're not the GM. That's quite a package you put together. No, that would be either Damion 'The Omen' Easely or Abe Nunez.

And dont BS me. You know, in fact have been a big propenent yourself, that Abe is not a five tool player. Sure, he has speed and power, but beyond that, it is hard to say.

The other thing is if we get Brad Wilkerson, we would have to find something for Conine AND Easely to do. If you include Easely, you should pick up someone else too from the Spos.

The fact is, Wilkerson would be a better fit than Beltran at this point. And we wouldnt have to give up much - I think K Olsen and T Hutch is good enough, but if the Expos want a bat to replace him, they can have Nunez - who would be expendable after acquiring Wilkerson.

Of course you wouldnt want me as GM. But then again, you miss the old days of losing 100 games too... :D The fact that I think Abe Nunez is not a ML player doesn't discount the fact that he has some value in a deal. I'm not BSing anybody. If you give up two pitching prospects and Nunez, and then throw in Easley, who is probably one of the most consistent players so far this season, you are giving up an awful lot, and not getting all that much in return.

I have no idea what you mean by "you miss the old days of losing 100 games too". Why would I miss that? Because I'm trying to discuss your statement?

BTW how is a guy who is hitting .230 going to help this offense? Because he's hit some HRs? He only has 26 RBI with 10 HRs. Trading for Wilkerson would be an act of incompetence. Keys, two words: chill out.

You can discuss whatever you want. I dont know why you always try to make it out like you are on a crusade for Truth when you disagree with me and I fire back. But you bring me to this.

You would rather give up the same talent (actually more) to get a hitter who is hitting .269 with 12 HRs 43 RBI at $9M rather than .231 10HR 26 RBI at $375K? That is fine - IF you can do it. But then again, I never said Wilkerson is a better talent than Beltran. Just that he is cheaper, is a lefty OF and is outperforming his contract as well as being much more likely to re-sign than lose as a FA.

But you go ahead and call that incompetence then.

Secondly, I never said deal Hutch, K Olsen, Nunez AND Easely. I said EITHER of the last two. I could understand how that is unclear, especially because I said: either Damion 'The Omen' Easely or Abe Nunez

Maybe the nickname 'The Omen' threw you off.

Oh, and let me know if the Royals would make a deal for Beltran with just Hutch, K Olsen, Nunez OR Easely. It would take A LOT MORE to land Beltran. My point is that we dont need to sell the farm for a rental. There are OTHER OPTIONS available and much cheaper. (And, by the way, I dont think it is necessary that we make a deal right now)

But you go ahead and cite that as incompetence.