Marlins paraphernalia

FishFanPR

I went to D.C. last weekend and stopped by the American History Museum, one of the Smithsonians. They had a baseball exhibhit with several items from Cooperstown. I was surprised to see that among those items they had:

1) Jack McKeon's cap, worn during game 6 of the WS...oldest manager to win a WS

2) Fan club brochure in spanish featuring Luis Castillo and Mike Lowell

They also had Marlins gear in the shop, only a few other teams (the usual) had things for sale at the museum shop.

I thought this was very interesting. I've said this before, but this franchise is really starting to turn it around. We have concrete plans for a new stadium, we have a talented, young team with several household players, and the fan base is starting to develop in So.Fla.

Where do you see this franchise in 5, 10 years? I definitely see the Marlins in transition to a big market team.

I went to D.C. last weekend and stopped by the American History Museum, one of the Smithsonians. They had a baseball exhibhit with several items from Cooperstown. I was surprised to see that among those items they had:

1) Jack McKeon's cap, worn during game 6 of the WS...older manager to win a WS

They also had Marlins gear in the shop, only a few other teams (the usual) had things for sale at the museum shop.

I thought this was very interesting. I've said this before, but this franchise is really starting to turn it around. We have concrete plans for a new stadium, we have a talented, young team with several household players, and the fan base is starting to develop in So.Fla.

Where do you see this franchise in 5, 10 years? I definitely see the Marlins in transition to a big market team.

:thumbup

i thought that they were sending the hat to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY in memory of the 100th Anniversary World Series. It says so in the World Series DVD right before the credits.

i thought that they were sending the hat to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY in memory of the 100th Anniversary World Series. It says so in the World Series DVD right before the credits. it's a temporary exhibit...until september

Guest Moneyball

SEE: Mariners after 1995 run

I definitely see the Marlins in transition to a big market team.

Never happen. There's not going to be that much population increase in Dade/Broward/PB.

The best you can hope for is maybe a 5-6M population base to draw on - which is about 1/4 what the Mets/Yanks have to draw on.

People complain about attendance, but when its looked at on a per capita basis, the fish draw comparable to the Yanks given the substantially lower population within range. This is hard to improve on. isn't south florida one of the fastest growing areas in all of the US??

cool :thumbup

I wanna go there...

I went to D.C. last weekend and stopped by the American History Museum, one of the Smithsonians.? They had a baseball exhibhit with several items from Cooperstown.? I was surprised to see that among those items they had:

I thought this was very? interesting.? I've said this before, but this franchise is really starting to turn it around.? We have concrete plans for a new stadium, we have a talented, young team with several household players, and the fan base is starting to develop in So.Fla.?

Where do you see this franchise in 5, 10 years?? I definitely see the Marlins in transition to a big market team.

i thought that they were sending the hat to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY in memory of the 100th Anniversary World Series. It says so in the World Series DVD right before the credits. it's a temporary exhibit...until september booooooooooooooo

(im going to cooperstown next week)

There's not going to be that much population increase in Dade/Broward/PB.

I hope you're joking, because Broward county is the fastest growing county in the entire country. Everyday a countless number of families are moving out of Dade and going north to Broward and people from all over the rest of the country and even world are finding their way to Broward.

isn't south florida one of the fastest growing areas in all of the US??

Sure, but how long can it last? They ain't making any more land. Broward is right up against the swamp, so are large parts of Dade and PB (less so in PB though).

We're basically talking a growth curve that has hard upper limits because of geography and fresh water availability.

One could argue that the explosive "growth" phase mostly over - now we'll transition from a (relatively) cheap real estate market into one of increasing prices because of limited product availability. Kinda like the LA basin - expanded as far as it could to the base of the San Gabriel mountains, hard stop there, then prices started to soar. Yes, but South Florida also includes the Treasure Coast (Martin, St. Lucie, and Indian River counties) and the Gulf Coast (Lee, Collier, Hendry, and Charlotte counties) which all have plenty og growing room. The Gold Coast (Dade and Broward Counties), the Keys, and the Palm Beaches are almost full, but the other areas are within 2-3 hours drive and follow the team actively.

2-3 hours drive isn't gonna do anything for everyday attendance.

Those outlying areas are non-starters for anyone who has to pack kids off to school, or go to work in the morning. That's a Friday night, Saturday afternoon type crowd at best.

They effed it up going with Dade - that's not even close to the geographic center of gravity for the base - AND its prohibitively far from the growth areas you mention.

The farther south they go, the smaller the market becomes.

So true.

But at least we will have a team in South Florida, right :whistle

but the other areas are within 2-3 hours drive and follow the team actively.

Those outlying areas are non-starters for anyone who has to pack kids off to school, or go to work in the morning. That's a Friday night, Saturday afternoon type crowd at best.

They effed it up going with Dade - that's not even close to the geographic center of gravity for the base - AND its prohibitively far from the growth areas you mention.

The farther south they go, the smaller the market becomes. Yes, but for media markets it can add alot of money to your TV and Radio contracts.

The farther south they go, the smaller the market becomes.

So true.

But at least we will have a team in South Florida, right :whistle let's not start this again. Dade was the only one who stepped up with the money.

I actually think there's a good chance everyday attendance will increase when they move to the Orange Bowl site. Say all you want about the PB and Broward's proportion of existing season tickets, but Dade county's population is younger and more likely to support the team far into the future. They'll now be drawing workers downtown and the latin community.

:o

Another reason to visit DC again!

:o

Another reason to visit DC again! yes, I remembered reading how you loved DC...you have to go see the WWII memorial too, it's impressive!