Salguero article: Marlins Make Bold Statement

jonnylons

Here is the article:

Marlins make bold statement with Koch trade

ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@herald.com

The Marlins reached into the opposing clubhouse late Thursday and plucked out an arm to help their embattled bullpen overcome injuries and the coming rigors of a pennant race.

But the substance of the news is not that they traded for Billy Koch, who was so ineffective in Chicago he bet teammates he'd be traded before the All-Star break. The importance here is that Florida management added someone with a solid major-league reputation, this early, this aggressively, openly making a statement every Marlins fan should love.

''It tells me we want to win,'' pitcher Josh Beckett said.

Says so in bold face and glowing in neon.

The Marlins are the defending World Series champions, they're in first place, and they're positioning themselves for another run at glory.

The hapless team that once sold off its talent as aggressively as car salesmen hawk the latest model is now in the market as a buyer. The team that once salary-dumped Cliff Floyd, Ryan Dempster, Edgar Renteria and Moises Alou -- feeding contenders with fine players -- is now the one trying to get fat.

''I remember those days,'' second basemen Luis Castillo said with no twinge of nostalgia. ``Those were hard days because you're trying to do everything you can to win, but you get disappointed because everyone is packing and leaving. You start to feel like you have no chance of winning.

``But things are different now.''

MARLINS NOW COVETED

Things have changed from those bad ol' days when players routinely included the Marlins on their list of teams in no-trade clauses. Incidents such as the Mike Hampton affair in which he refused a trade to Florida because he wanted to play for a ''competitive team'' are memories.

''The Marlins have gone to two World Series and won them both times,'' Koch said. ``My wife and I always talked about what our dream team to play for would be, and we always agreed it was here or Atlanta. And I thought here would be even better.''

The Marlins are starting to follow a pattern in trying to get better, one that already has proved successful.

Last season, their payroll suggested the team would have modest success at best, but when a wild-card berth came within reach, team president David Samson and general manager Admin Beinfest made a bold grab at success.

They traded for Ugueth Urbina and Chad Fox. Mike Lowell broke his hand Aug. 30, and Beinfest was on the phone trading for Jeff Conine on Aug. 31.

The Marlins this year have one of the lowest payrolls in the majors if you look at their 25-man roster. But by adding Koch they are once again showing the willingness to improve the product on the field as long as the addition doesn't break the bank.

That's not to suggest Koch will bring to Florida what Fox, Urbina and Conine delivered to last season's team. He is a 93-mph-throwing wild card. He had 44 saves for Oakland in 2002 but wore out his welcome in Chicago so thoroughly, ''they booed me no matter what I did,'' he said.

Koch yielded a run on two hits in one inning Friday night, so there's no guarantee the move will work.

KOCH OF OLD?

That doesn't mean it isn't worth the effort. If Koch can recapture his old form and provide a consistent set-up man for Armando Benitez, it makes a tough starting rotation the best in the National League, regardless of what the Cubs might think.

''If he starts throwing right, it'll be a seven-inning game for us,'' Conine said.

But even if it doesn't turn out that way, this move shows how far the Marlins have come -- and that they're willing to go further to win.

i cant beleive that people are this excited about getting Bkoch...it has gotten so bad in the pen that we apploud a guy that was basically booed out of his town....i for one dont like this deal except for the part that we got some cash along with him...he does not solve our problem we still need another arm...boo me if you want but what we saw yesterday get use to it...

i cant beleive that people are this excited about getting Bkoch...it has gotten so bad in the pen that we apploud a guy that was basically booed out of his town....i for one dont like this deal except for the part that we got some cash along with him...he does not solve our problem we still need another arm...boo me if you want but what we saw yesterday get use to it...

We didn't get any cash. We are paying $1.5M of Koch's salary.

Guest Jack1

I held my breath last night! The only reason everyone is thrilled about Koch is that he throws hard. WOW! Don't mean s*** if you can't throw it over the plate. I thought that's what Jack was ticked off with the pitchers he sent down. I hope he does well. Only time will tell. The whole chemistry of the team has been changed in just a couple of days. I hope it doesn't backfire on the Marlins. Chemistry was everything last year!

Chemistry was a huge part of last year's team, but don't forget that last year there was only one guy (aside from Looper) that was in the bullpen the entire season. The bullpen was a work in progress all year long, until we got Fox and Urbina. Even Helling was a latecomer.

Last night didn't mean anything. Everyone got knocked around... And I don't think everyone is so excited cause the guy throws hard. He has a good track record. The last couple of seasons, he's tailed off, but everyone said the same thing about Armando Benitez in Spring Training.....Give this guy a chance....I, for one, feel more comfortable with Koch throwing the 8th inning over Bump or Wayne.

You have to give Koch Time.

That's what the Oakland fans said.

And the White Sox fans.

I'm sure that's what the fans of his next few organizations will say, too... Stop trolling.

The point of the article is that the Marlins are willing to take risks to make the team better. If Koch doesnt work out you bet the front office will try something else to improve the team.

You have to give Koch Time.

That's what the Oakland fans said.

And the White Sox fans.

I'm sure that's what the fans of his next few organizations will say, too... Oakland fans loved him. He pitched in 84 games with them, went 11-4 with 44 saves. In his three years with Toronto, he averaged 34 saves a year. Whether his two years with Chicago were an aberration or a deterioration of ability will determine if this was a good acquistion. But, people are acting like this guy has had a miserable career.

We didn't get any cash. We are paying $1.5M of Koch's salary.

I don't know how true this is but Saturday's Herald (Clark Spencer) reports that "sources" said that the White Sox will pick up all but about $500,000 of the $3.75 million owed to Koch this season.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...all/8961406.htm wow, if that's true, then beinfest really owned the white sox FO. great deal.

i cant beleive that people are this excited about getting Bkoch...it has gotten so bad in the pen that we apploud a guy that was basically booed out of his town....

kind of like Benitez huh? Benitez was bad last year... koch was bad last week

i cant beleive that people are this excited about getting Bkoch...it has gotten so bad in the pen that we apploud a guy that was basically booed out of his town....

kind of like Benitez huh? Benitez was bad last year... koch was bad last week you could say Benitez was bad this week too

:confused

Everybody is talking about Koch messing up the chemistry, but last night he looked like he was sitting in the bullpen having a great time. I am going to be a Koch fan until he does something to hurt the Marlins, I dont care what he did in Oakland or Chicago because I am sure that we can look at every guy on this team and say that oh he didnt do well on this team so there is no way he can help the Marlins. So everybody needs to stop living in the past and let Koch get his Marlins carrer started.

Fans have to stop treating koch like he is garbage. The trade was a very good deal. We gave up a minor leaguer, who was not going to play for us any time soon, and we didn't have to pay that much to get Koch. Our bullpen this year, with the exception of Benitz, has been a rotation of AAA players. Koch is a proven major league player. We has had really great years in the past, and even if he is on the decline, he is still more of a major league player than anyone one else that is in our bullpen. I for one, will feel more confident with Koch in relief apperances than with phelps, wayne, howard, perisho (only good vs. lefties), or neu. I still see the marlins going after one more relief guy, but getting Koch is a step in the right direction and fans should not be complaining.

kind of like Benitez huh? Benitez was bad last year... koch was bad last week you could say Benitez was bad this week too

:confused good point :mischief2