Games like today

Guest Juanky

Guest Juanky

Make me happy to be a Marlins fan. Sure, we're getting clubbed to death. But I remember the days when this would happen pretty much every night out. You get used to getting your brains bashed in like this. And then in times like last season, you realize what you play for.

Yeah, I know. This team is leaps and bounds above the teams in the Dark Ages. This team is not supposed to be losing like this. But these are the kind of games that make you think. Sure, there will be excuses. Tejera was his usual self. Rain has been nothing but bad to the Fish this series. Russ Ortiz always dominates the Marlins (and I mean always).

But if today can serve as a reality check to at least this one diehard, maybe the team can sit back and say to themselves "We need to stop making excuses, and play like we are capable. Play like we played last year. Play like it matters again." They look fulfilled right now, not playing with purpose. They won already. Part of what makes the Yankees so great is that they have the want and need to keep winning. Other teams can't sustain the mentality. I prefer having a Dark Ages team that plays it's butt off the last part of the year to not set losing records than to watch a team waste it's talent.

They'll come around, I'm sure of it. However, it's a nice time for those of us that have been around since the beginning to look inside. Think about how much this used to happen. Think about how we used to be the sellers. And remember how special last season really was.

Make me happy to be a Marlins fan. Sure, we're getting clubbed to death. But I remember the days when this would happen pretty much every night out. You get used to getting your brains bashed in like this. And then in times like last season, you realize what you play for.

Yeah, I know. This team is leaps and bounds above the teams in the Dark Ages. This team is not supposed to be losing like this. But these are the kind of games that make you think. Sure, there will be excuses. Tejera was his usual self. Rain has been nothing but bad to the Fish this series. Russ Ortiz always dominates the Marlins (and I mean always).

But if today can serve as a reality check to at least this one diehard, maybe the team can sit back and say to themselves "We need to stop making excuses, and play like we are capable. Play like we played last year. Play like it matters again." They look fulfilled right now, not playing with purpose. They won already. Part of what makes the Yankees so great is that they have the want and need to keep winning. Other teams can't sustain the mentality. I prefer having a Dark Ages team that plays it's butt off the last part of the year to not set losing records than to watch a team waste it's talent.

They'll come around, I'm sure of it. However, it's a nice time for those of us that have been around since the beginning to look inside. Think about how much this used to happen. Think about how we used to be the sellers. And remember how special last season really was.

435753[/snapback]

The one good aspect of this is that all the comments like "but we're still in first place" will stop. This has been coming for over a month and really shows no signs of stopping. It probably will only help this team in the long run to fall a few more games behind Philly.....then perhaps they'll be motivated to play to their potential.

435753[/snapback]

As the biggest Marlins homer ever......I tell you that this was for the better. I enjoy this team....sometimes better than others. I believe we will make the playoffs, but after that it is cloudy. The Phillies, Mets, and Braves can be beated by us.

Guest Moneyball

that is definitely one of the best post i have ever read on this site. mike lowell needs to step up and tell something to the team and not the media. they are playing like a bunch of bums. i was actually hoping they would lose by 20 runs so they could get the jolt they got last year.

i remember everyday about last year. everything that i thought wouldn't happen happened. it was like a dream, every game, every play, every milestone, i remember all those doubters in the media and my own friends. it makes you think the luck a team must have to repeat.

Great post Juanky, couldn't have said it better myself. This should be a wake up call and the faces on every single one of those players in the dugout said it all. They know what they have to do. You are right the greatest part of the teams that were so bad was that they went out there and played as hard as they could. There wasn't that sign of give up. What I saw today was a sign of give up. The emotion wasn't there. It was like lets just get on the plane and go to sleep.

But I do know that this team can be just as good if not better than last year's. It's just going to be a matter of proving it to rest of the league, the fans, and most importantly themselves. THey need to believe again.

Guest Juanky

not to be negative, but last night's game was pretty much lost the moment the starting pitchers were announced. what were the chances of us winning Tejera vs Ortiz???

436360[/snapback]

Exactly.....just how it used to be pretty much.

It seems like when things are going well, we get all the calls and everything goes right for us.

But, when things go bad, they go horribly wrong.

I don't think any team could have recovered. I'm sure it's devastating when your starting pitcher gets pulled in the first inning.

One thing I'm seeing now that I haven't before is Jack's reactions. He's been more agressive in the dugout, like his contract depends on whether or not we go to the playoffs.

I don't see that cheerleading like I did last season.

I guess everyone is frustrated with what's happening now.